My Letter to Opencourtbooks about Transformers & Philosophy

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backscatter, May 8, 2009.

1. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dear People,

http://www.opencourtbooks.com/books_n/transformers.htm

I love your Transformers and Philosophy book. However, being a very long time Transformers fan I found some errors in the articles.

Page 61. It wasn't Optimus Prime that mistakenly thought "Mojo was leaking lubricants" . It was Ironhide who was getting urinated on. The "Leaking Lubricants" phrase was a fan node. Ironhide said "Leaking Lubricants" when he sprung an oil leak aboard the Ark in "More than Meets the Eye" part 1.

Page 111. The Transformers Movie Jazz did not die while Optimus Prime was fighting Megatron. Megatron killed Jazz while Optimus Prime was returning from a fight with Bonecrusher. Jazz died a hero, trying to save the city he was in.

Page 149. Scorponok was on his back, mortally wounded by Unicron, not the Decepticons. In Fact, Scorponok was then the leader of the Decepticons. Scorponok had allied himself with Optimus Prime and the Autobots to fight Unicron, the world-eating chaos bringer. The written verbal exchange the two characters had was written accurately. Issue #75 of Marvel's Transformers.

I hope that if there's ever a second printing, I hope these issues get corrected.

- Backscatter (I used my human name in the letter)

Where in not for these errors I would have given this book an "A" So it's A- for the book. I would still recommend it, it's a great read.

2. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Got a response!

Dear Backscatter,

Thank you for your message. I will forward it to the in-house editor and the volume editors. It is likely that we will be able to make corrections in a second printing.

Sincerely,
    Kerri Mommer
    Marketing and Editorial Departments

3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Whoa. They actually paid attention? That's awesome!

4. jtfire

jtfire Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for the feedback!

5. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice that they actually paid attention to your corrections. Any idea when the second printing will happen? I've never been a big philosophy person, but I recently came across the "Batman and Philosophy" book and have been intriqued to read them.

6. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

These types of books are just sad unauthorized cash grabs. Find any property enjoyed by people with a completist mentality (i.e. "nerds") slap toghether some "philosophy" that sort of ties in with the themes of said property,and watch the money roll in.
    Here's the thing-it's all bullshit,because it's all stuff the creators NEVER INTENDED.
    If you take away some deep message from,for example,the Legend of Zelda (there really is a philosophy book on it),you're an idiot,because it was just designed to be a fun diverson.
    Transformers,whether it's the movie,the show,the comics,the video game,whatever,is a commercial. The moral of the story is that buying toys is good. That's the deep zen meaning behind the franchise.

7. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Wait, are you saying the Jedi code is meaningless?!! Damn-it, after I spend all that money on these stupid robes!

8. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Have you read "Transformers and Philosophy" to be able to make such negative remarks? I was moved by many of the articles despite the 3 errors I found. The book also gave me much to think about, and I didn't read any BS IMHO.

9. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I don't think he meant to disparage any points the book brings up, just to point out that it's all after-thought. The creators never tried to put a philosophy into their stories, so any conclusion drawn is someone else filling in blanks, and trying to connect dots. If the message moves you more power to you brother!

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Just got the book, we have a bunch in the series at the Borders where I work and I'll occasionally read an essay or two on my lunch break. They can vary in quality depending on who is writing them, but the TF one is the first I've bought because the philosophy of sentient robots and artificial intelligence has always been a favorite sci-fi subject of mine and to see that discussed through the lens of TFs as examples was just icing on the cake. I've only skimmed through it so far, but it looks like a fascinating read.

Cool to see you got a nice response Backscatter.

11. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I ordered this from Amazon the other day after reading "House and Philosphy". Shame about the errors, but it is great that they seem to be taking note. Backscatter, your recommendation makes me very glad I have it on order.

12. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. The book was written by unconnected people after the fact. Any comments they may have are strictly conjecture.

13. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Which is different from BS. I was just asking if you had read the book before making your comments. Also, historians do their thing after the fact. Some of the articles discussed the possibility of living machines. Of course it theory, but that's where most science starts. So the book isn't the "zen" of buying Transformers.