Minor/Repaint: My KO Combaticon repaints

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LemonPrime, Sep 27, 2007.

1. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    The KO Bruticus set from Walgreens was just begging for a new paint job, so here's my first TF repaint(s):

Group:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Onslaught altmode:
    [​IMG]

and finally:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with 'em, though some still need touch-ups. I have a bad tremor in my left hand that makes painting straight lines and small details a challenge. I tried the blue tape method, but it ripped half the black paint off.

Vortex: just painted a couple coats of that blue grey then gave him a really subtle panel line/wash with blue.

Brawl: Dark Green but too glossy and not at all military-like so I dirtied him up with with some dark rusty red drybrushing.

Swindle: basecoated in black, then drybrushed green, followed with a heavy drybrushing of a custom green. Lil' bit of silver on his bot parts.

Blast-Off: what a nightmare! I can't tell you how many coats of white it took to make him look decent. The bottom of the wings and the chest are glossy black with a silver drybrush. There's a barely noticeable dark grey added to the nosecone.

Onslaught: I had a hard time picking a color scheme until I remembered his Energon counterpart Barricade. I thought, "hmm, Barricade...movie Barricade...cop...SWAT/riot police! So forgive me ProwlDelta, but another bad cop was born. Completely basecoated in glossy black which just wouldn't stick to that cheap orange plastic on the chest. Painting the white over messy black was no picnic either. I drybrushed silver on his head, hands, back, and shield/ramp. The chest shield was molded in that same vomit yellow as all the Bruticus parts so that had to go. He got a custom baton out of some armada missile I found at a garage sale. Probably not too noticeable in my crappy pics, but it's got bright blue painted details to simulate some kind of energy going through it.

Overall, I had lots of fun and learned a lot in the process. I want to get some Con insignia from reprolabels to ice the cake. Thanks for reading!

2. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

It looks pretty damn sharp. Im not going to tell you what you did wrong because you already told us. ^_^ Kick-ass drybrushing you have there on the combiner pieces. If I had to pick a favorite, I would go with Swindle's jeep mode. The weathered green is nice, and I like the blue window.

When do we get to see the Battle-Damaged version?

~Z

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cool. You did a really great job on them. Just curious, but, does Wallgreens currently sell the set? Also, how much was it? Thanks if you can answer those questions for me. Keep up the good work :thumb .

4. LemonPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty sure they currently sell them since me and several other people on the boards bought them in the past month for $5.99 per set, or 3 for $12.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for them, though I probably won't get them in the end, as I've got other kitbash fodder that I need to hunt down. I also need to start saving up for a 360 so I can get Halo 3, and a laptop for school, which will probably take priority over everything else. Unless I somehow get one for Christmas this year :thumb .

6. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats pretty sharp, what were the original colors?
    They look alot more like real military vehicles.

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Not to bad on the paint job. Nice job.

8. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

Nice job!

9. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Did you use primer?

10. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Hey man it looks dam good. Great Job.

11. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

a VAST improvement over the crappy Walgreens original.
    Been meaning to do this myself, good to see the potential!

12. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

First repaint?Pretty nice!For straight lines try a drafting table and some paper tape.It don't have the adhesive edges and don't stick to paint.Some times a pre clear coat will help.Some people do good with it some don't.It is worth a try right?

13. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

All around very nice, but I gotta say I especially dig your Onslaught color scheme.

14. LemonPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind words everybody! I've got the customizing bug and have already started my next repaint, which I hope to finish and post soon.

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool.