My job made me hate TFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snark, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I got a new job recently. Without going into specifics, it is a fantastic job at one of the largest professional firms in the world. Whilst my new job is both intellectually stimulating and pays me well, it is incredibly demanding; a light workday is 12 hours long and I am often expected to work on weekends and holidays.

This has in turn created a premium on free time. Which I am finding increasingly unfulfilling when spent on TFW and interacting with fandoms in general.

As much as I enjoy toy collecting, watching TFP and interacting with people who share my interests, I have simply lost patience with the negativity that permeates places like this. In the past month alone, I have seen what I presume to be grown men and women getting into vindictive arguments over cartoon characters, toy buying habits and video game platforms.

Given how little free time I have now, I really don't want to waste it watching people aggressively complain about things. Now I realize people are entitled to their opinions, but it seems to me people are confusing that entitlement for a seeming obligation to rain on other peoples' parade.

I realize such behavior is nothing new, and is unlikely to change. But eh, just wanted to rant to anybody who would listen, I guess.

tl;dr: I wish we spent more time talking about stuff we like rather than stuff we don't.

2. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Well, congrats on the new job. :) 
    But if you're really that tired of the negativity of TFW and with free time in such short supply, I can't really suggest anything other than avoid those threads/members that are the cause of such negativity and just talk about what you love with what members you're actually friends with or at least tolerate. Or you know, find something else that's actually worth your time & effort. :p 

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Snark, congrats on the new job!!....but as for your displeasure with certain forums, just ignore them for a while and/or certain threads...you know by now which ones will go south, just don't even click on them...you'll be happier.

Good luck in your professional life.

4. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Congrats on the new job. And forget about the backlash on numerous threads/topics on TFW.

5. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

We really should have a social group on here made for teenage members...

But congrats nonetheless!

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I rarely venture into the movie and Prime forums unless something catches my eye, then I end up leaving rather quickly anyway. Those and TFGD have some of the most inane ramblings I've ever seen on the internet. But it still doesn't keep me away. This place is fun if you stick to the parts you enjoy.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Out of all the possible reasons to hate hobbies & forums, getting a great job is probably one of the best, so... :) 

8. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Not to drag you back into the hobbies and distract you from your job. You have my congrats. :thumb 

9. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Your job kicks puppies.

10. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fuck you, Snark! How dare you make sense on the internet! Congrats on your lucrative and fulfilling employment.
    I shouldn't have to clarify, but: I didna mean no bads! Don't report me, Peeples!

11. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Do what i do, feed on the negtivity. Im not suggesting trolling but learn to live with the fact that over 50% of fanboys/girls are whining assholes and fuel your ego with the knowledge that you are better than they are as long as you are ignoring them instead of perpetuating the hate.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty much.

Also, it's not just this place, by any stretch. If anything, TFW's probably one of the better groups around, at least when it comes to forums that I've spend enough time on to actually judge. Pretty much all online communities are infected with a shitty member base (mostly because people by nature are overly assholes, especially when they don't have to fear irl fallouts as a result) but unless you're heavily invested in being a staff member (which for a lot people isn't even worth the trouble, even if they're in it for the right reasons), you can simply ignore all of it in favor of the stuff that you do enjoy.

The last part is pretty key, and that's how I enjoy this place. I simply ignore all of the bullshit complaining in favor of the humourous discussion & cool toy related things that spark my interest. Then when it comes to people getting way too offended over nothing, that's unavoidable, but if you make an effort not to be an asshole, you can usually just ignore the people who start shit & remove yourself from the altercation all together.

... in other words, make femmbot fun, no femmebot war.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The fuzzy is the most entertaining for work places , or maybe that's just me.

But yeah , in a world full of adults and toys, there's going to be alot of annoyances.

Congrats on the new job.

14. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

S:

If that's a teal deer, then what are these in my zoo? :D 

I work a lot of hours, too, and I have to agree that the whining, self-entitled negativity, the immature and childish behavior, and the petty, kindergarten-level bickering can be utterly obnoxious, at times. But the place signs my checks, and I can always go read TFW when my co-workers and bosses get too bad.

Don't burn out, Snark. That's always the danger, when you're working a lot of hours, even when it's something you like to do. Maybe that makes it more dangerous, since it's easy to say "yes" to too much. Not that you can ever say "no" to unreasonable demands, but sometimes a little discussion gets you something like a workable schedule.

When you start getting soured on the things you used to like to do, or getting annoyed with your friends or family for small things that didn't bother you before, you know work is pushing you a little too hard. Try to keep it in its place!

15. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

All work and no play...

Attached Files: