My Ideal Line

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by peteynorth, Mar 14, 2007.

1. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I have no doubt that there have been hundreds of threads like these, I know I've looked over a few, and have probably contributed to one or more, but I put some thought into what I'd like to see, and decided to jot it down and torture you guys with it. What I'd like, and something that's been missing with every line excluding Alternators, is an adherence to a set scale. It doesn't need to be absolutely strictly adhered to, but it should be reasonably close. The scale I think that could work would be 1:43. Basically, I see it as:

Autobots
    Optimus Prime - Freightliner Argosy - ~ 16.6 cm tall (Voyager) - just a shade smaller than the Classic
    Grimlock - T-Rex (I'd like organic) - ~ 21.3 cm tall (Ultra - if they still have that size point)
    Sludge - Diplodocus (again, organic) - ~ 37 cm tall (Supreme)
    Ironhide/Ratchet/etc - Cargo vans, ambulances, other large vehicles - 12.5 - 14.5 cm tall (Deluxe)
    Sideswipe, Prowl, etc - Cars - 9 - 11 cm tall (Basic)

Decepticons
    Megatron - M1A1 - ~ 18.4 cm tall (ehh, he'll be bulky, so Ultra)
    Starscream - F-15 - depending on whether legs extend or not ~30-32cm tall (Leader)
    Motormaster - (Hummer, Topkick, or the like) - ~ 15 cm tall (Deluxe) - and yes, combines with 4 basic Stunticon cars

Minicons would consist of motorcycles, animals, etc - 1:43 scale least adhered to in this class

The downside is that you would never see a space shuttle (the thing would be 130.5 cm long), the Stunticons would really be the only feasible gestalt team (Constructicons and Aerialbots could be made to scale with each other, but each toy would be giant, and the gestalts created would be damn near human size), and collecting Seekers would get very expensive. But at least the vehicles wouldn't look absurd next to one another and we'd get better variety than with Alternators - and the few non-Earth modes that would be in the line wouldn't need to conform to any scale.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like to see a line totally based on real Cars, Trucks and Planes.

Cars made out of different authentic looking sports cars, Formula 1's, Stock Cars, Drag Racing Funny Cars, etc.

Trucks, Monster Trucks that look like the real ones! (No Micromasters either)

Jets that aren't recolors of one another, the top fighter jets of the world!

Optimus Prime - Any beautiful big rig with a trailer!

Megatron, to avoid the orange, a hulking Tank!

Angain, the leaders looking like existing machines.

These TFs would have exacting details to the point that Hasbro would have to make legal arangements.

Finally, no Beasts this time around. Not even robotic ones.

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

My ideal line would have the regular bots as deluxe sized alternators plus some larger figures as leaders/larger characters.

The deceptions would be military hard ware, except for a few who would have cybertonian alt modes.

Autobots:

Voyagers:

Wave 1
    Optimus Prime - Voyager Sized 20th Prime.
    Ironhide - Large Pickup truck (any one would do)

Wave 2:
    Jetfire - Like classics jetfire but based on a real jet - perhaps an F-14, but could still have fast packs added.
    Grimlock - Big mechanical T-rex alt mode, robot mode updated G1 version.

Deluxes:

Wave 1
    Bumblebee - Like classics BB but with a licensed alt mode, some kind of small rally car.
    Wheeljack - exotic sports car, perhaps a bugatti, front end becomes feet type transformation
    Silverstreak - Nissan 350z, transforms like the alternator version.

Wave 2:

Jazz - Mercedes-Benz SLR - transforms like G1 jazz (different foot transformation than silverstreak/prowl)
    Tracks - Updated Corvette - alt tracks type transformation.
    Prowl - Dodge Charger Police Car - transforms like Siverstreak.

Special two pack - Sunstreaker and Sideswipe - NOT re-paints of each other, both retain G1-like transformations. both are Lotus Exige S, one red one yellow.

Decepticons:

Voyager:

Wave-1
    Megatron - Tank - like the 2 pack Megatron scaled up and more realistic (and with two hands!!!!)
    Starscream - F-15, something like the original MP Starscream concept but streamlined to cut production cost down.
    Motormaster - Large truck (GMC topkick?) *other stunticons have molded on connectors to make Menasor)

Wave Two:
    Thundercracker & Skywarp - Starscream repaints - perhaps slightly remolded heads.
    Shockwave - Updated, more articulated G1 version!

Deluxe:

Wave one:
    Brakedown - Repaint of Sideswipe (white) new head.
    Deadend - Repaint of Sunstreaker (maroon) new head.

Wave two:

Dragstrip - F1 racer (could be repainted into mirage later!)
    Wildrider - Black dodge charger - remolded from Prowl!

Special Pack -
    Soundwave, Ravage, Laserbeak and Rumble - Scale be damned he's as tall as Megatron and turns into a tape deck that can hold all 3 cassettes at once!!!

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, as long as we're wishing for the moon... I'd like to see a couple dozen of the best of eight years of Brave DX toys shrunken down to voyager size, redeco'ed and sold as TFs with a thought-out, well-written fiction.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    just gimme classic quality line of g1 season 1 to 2 bots, i'll be satisfied.

(oh yah season 3 too)

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I've often wondered that if they ever made a scale accurate TF line, how Prime & Meg's could still stand toe to toe in robot modes if Prime remained a semi truck and Meg's was a tank. Since a tank is so much larger than even the biggest semi, I think the only way they could pull it off is if Prime somehow merged with his trailer so as to add bulk & height.

The Seekers remaining as F-15's would keep them far too large imo, so I wouldn't have a problem seeing them shrunk down to smaller jet model forms... whatever would work best with keeping them somewhat the same size as Meg's while in bot mode, but still looking similar enough to their G1 aesthetic.

And I've always liked the idea of making the Constructicons absolutely HUGE! Not just normal sized construction vehicles - the size of the ones that work in rock quaries & oil sands - where the tires of things like dump trucks & front loaders are about 40-50 feet tall on their own. Not only would they dwarf any normal TF in individual bot form, but it would make Devastator a true giant and kill off the option of even bothering with other combiners.

Unfortunately, the average car/truck Autobots would still be very small in comparison to most of the Cons and even Prime, but I think some height could be achieved if they had more straightforward transforms than that of, say, the Alternators. To me the TF's have never been about looking like real vehciles outside *and* inside since they're not on Earth to accomodate Human passengers. If you throw away the idea of having interior things like engines, seats, steering wheels, etc., a lot more "Transformer" could fit in there. As long as the exterior of their alt modes look passable as Earth vehicles, the job is done.

The only side effect about making a scale accurate & consistant TF line is that it immediately kills off a lot of character options. But I think it's a good sacrifice if it means making a line that could retain some real life believability.

7. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Excellent suggestion. I took a quick look at an F-16, and using as close to a Classic Seeker-esque transformation sequence as possible, at 1:43 scale it'd only be about 20-22 cm tall - a little taller than what Megatron would be as a M1A1, but far more slender, and a much more reasonably priced Ultra.

8. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I figured make some of the Japanese G1 characters with modern articulation (ok, I just want a new Fort Max, Star Sabre and Deathsaurus) or a line/series where Optimus and Megatron are mentioned but never seen (think Red vs Blue, but maybe more drama)

9. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

The problem with scale is, that it takes away a lot of the fun. Like you said, there would be many (cool) alt modes that could not be reasonably done with a fixed scale, and I'd hate to see any of the size ranges get completely dominated by one side.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are way too many things to say in regards to an ideal line, but I guess talking about a few things wouldn't hurt. Take the classics, keep making them, have the paint schemes a little more toned down and realistic, and add some ankle articulation. I wouldn't mind them making some of the bots a little bigger though- Grimlock and Prime seem a bit smallish.
    You know, I never even cared to consider or think about realistic scaling until I started reading forums- and I still don't agree on how important some of you think it is. There are some TFs I feel should be larger or smaller, but not so that their alt mode is realisticly proportioned to eachother. Robot mode was always more important to me, and I never was bothered by unrealistic cybertron modes, as long as they didn't look like just a robot laying down or bending over.

11. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Most of the Classics would join my ideal line, but I'd replace Nerf Megatron with a badass tank. I'd add a few more exotic sports cars to the Autobots, and some more military hardware (various fighters and tanks) to the Decepticons. I'd also toss in a few mechanical beasts on each side. All alt modes would be earthen, nothing Cybertronic. I want to emphasize the whole robots in disguise angle, the only thing the movie has gotten right so far. Thats the predictable part.

I'd also add a few new characters with little seen alt modes on each side. The Autobots would get a city bus and a big, boxy four-door police car. We're long overdue for a proper ambulance and fire truck (non leader). The Decepticons would get a garbage truck, a few more motorcycles and a yellow taxi. Is it obvious I'm from New York yet? :D 

12. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Basically Classics as it's going is my ideal line and I'd like to see it continued after the movie, though I'd like to see a few trends in the future:

Keep the toys loosely to scale
    I don't necessarily want everything to be held to an exact scale as that might prove unfeasable.

However, I would have preferred it if Starscream was a voyager.
    He would have looked more impressive next to the Autobot cars in addition to the fact that he's major character and would be better matched to Jetfire.

Likewise for Astrotrain, whose bio describes him as a hulk who blots out the sun yet he barely reaches Megatron's waist and isn't any bigger than the Autobot cars in either of his vehicle modes.

Of course, an exception to this rule would be Soundwave and other roleplay TF's, since they'd work better scaled for roleplay like Megatron is.

Still, things would display a lot better if the vehicles were in relative scale.

Include more and more diverse accessories!............................ Damnit!
    I like that most of the classics come with some sort of hand gun, and I especially appreciate Bumblebee's jetpack and Rodimus' saw, but I'd like to see proper handguns and melee weapons included in addition to the goofy missile launchers.

And please, try to keep the fist holes standard from now on as it annoys me to no end that Grimlock's fist holes are just a smidge too small to fit Energon weapons so that you can't give him a proper sword.

Branching outwards, I'd like to see figures of the human cast like Spike and Dr. Archeville which would lend a sense of scale to the larger figures.

I'd also like to see pieces of a playset packed in with each wave like Marvel Legends' "build a figure", so that if you buy all in the wave you could construct a small playset for them to run around in.

For example, an Ark themed wave might have Ratchet with a medibed, Wheeljack with his workbench & attachable gadgets, Thundercracker (because Skywarp's already taken) with the Teletraan console & scanner drone, and Voyager Soundwave with a communications console and a small "dummy" of his stereo mode that can plug in and eavesdrop.

Each element would be compartmentalized so it would have meaning for the figure on its own but you could connect them into one large playset if you collected the entire wave.

And now for my pipe dream, METROPLEX!

I know that this would probably not be economically feasable these days, especially since Classics is not the main line, but I'd like to see the transformers finally get a proper play base like the USS Flagg or Castle Grey skull.

The original Metroplex was pretty paltry as he was only moderately taller than Prime, meaning that he could really only accomodate minibots. Fort Max, although as big as they come, never seemed complex enough to me for that size and still fit the minibots better than the regular cars.

However, if they made Classics Metroplex about as tall as Fort Max, and a little bulkier, he could reasonably accomodate Voyagers in city mode as well as transform into a figure with better articulation than MP Prime.

I know it's probably too much to hope for all of this stuff, and I'd be happy just to see Classics continue, but I would be happier still if just one of these trends was picked up.

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Between Classics and Binaltech, I'm already pretty darn close to having my ideal line. The only thing I'd really like to see would be, well, MORE of them. But shoot, while we're pipe-dreaming, I guess my ideal line would have the following qualities:

-All characters from the first two Seasons of G1, but I'm not against peppering in a few select characters from later in the line, and even other continuities. There's a LOT of Transformers mythos to draw from now, might as well make use of the best stuff!

-Not necessarily one scale across the whole line, but fairly CONSISTENT, relative scales. So, all cars/trucks/tanks/motorcycles would be the same scale, all jets/helicopters/dinosaurs would be the same scale, and a large (ultra or leader) scale would be reserved for things like space shuttles and jumbo jets. Any mini-cons/micromasters would be everyday objects to scale with the cars.... no tiny cars and planes. Characters like Megatron, Soundwave, Perceptor, and Blaster would be given larger, to-scale modes that don't involve mass-shifting.

-Classics-style aesthetics and transformation-style (with that level of complexity), but slightly more detailed molds. Oh, and Alternator-style hands, with at least a bit of finger-movement... no more peghole fists.

-Unless made absolutely unfeasible because of the transformation, all figures should have the following points of articulation: knees, shoulders, elbows, upper-arm pivot, ball-jointed head that can look up, waist pivot, thighs, upper-leg twist pivot, wrist rotation, and ankle pivots (so that they can stand flat on the ground).

-No electronics, or play gimmicks like spinning arms, "kung fu" grip, etc. No gimmicks like cyber-keys or power-linking. Put that money towards other details, and let the transformation be the main gimmick.

-No organic beasts. With the exception of dinobots and maybe predacons, no figures that turn from robot to beast. The cassettes can still have beast modes in PLACE of robot modes.

-All combiners would be self-contained, no add-on pieces, and no duplicate limbs.

-Like Quantum Penguin suggested, a small selection of articulated human figures for scale.

-At least one giant, detailed, Fort-Max size figure; it could turn into either a city or some other giant playset-style thing, like an aircraft carrier or battle station. It should be able to accomodate the deluxe-sized figures in some fashion. It can be expensive, but it should be worth every penny. This might be the ONLY case in which electronics would be acceptable, in the form of some lights. Oh.... and if electronics WERE included, it should be able to be plugged in with an AC adaptor as well as batteries, so that is could act as a full-time diplay case for the other figures.

-If not a new cartoon to go along with the line, at least a well-written graphic novel that gives some characterization to the figures.

Aaaaand, that's about it. I know, much of that is completely unrealistic. But hey, that's what makes thinking about it fun! :)