My Iacon Report No Personal Hygene Products!

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by AutobotWonko, Jul 10, 2006.

1. AutobotWonko

AutobotWonko Toy Pimp

Okay, time for my official report.

Friday.
    I got there ealry afternoon and hung out and talked. Eventually went to get some food with some people and later found out I had lunch with Karl Hartman. I feel special. After eating, I played Beast Wars Transmetals on PS. While playing, I met Z4nd4r finally. I never did figure out who Echowarrior was and he never siad hi.

I was too poor to eat the dinner, so I hung out more. I missed out on the exclusive transparent matrix. Next was the very informitive Transformers vs. Gobots. I learned more than I ever need to know about all things GoBots and Machine Robo. It confirmed my opinion that Gobots suck because they break much easier. The next presentation was The Making of the Transformers. The two former Hasbro employees told us of their involvment in Transformers and unused ideas like a Beast Machines Oracle playset. They also showed us the steps how at TF goes from idea to toy. It is insanely complicated all the things they must plan and draw for one mold. Cybertron Skywarp was supposed to be Decpticon purple, not whatever weird color it became. He also had a prototype box for Powermaster Optimus Prime that was just a mixture of junk packaging including Barbie and Polly Pocket.

Afterwards, I went to the parts party. I pimped about $20 and spent $10, but I came out on top. I stayed way to late, so I left around midnight, returned home at around 2 and went to bed at 2:30. I then woke up at 5:30 that morning to return to the con.

Saturday
    After The Rat finally found my house, we headed out to Iacon. I brought all my TF artwork to show at the con. I did not hang in the art room too much since everyone kept wanting to buy my stained glass, which is good, but not right yet.

At the comic panel, the main news is that Bob and Don will be doing a project together soon, but no further details. I looked through the artwork Don brought with him to the con and saw several pages from the Stormbringer series.

The dealers room was good for the size of the event. While in the dealer room I ran into Venus Terzo and showed her her own Happy Meal toy that she did not know existed, so I feel special now.... It prompted a question for me at the panel ofhow much of your own merchandise do they own.
    I bought:
    TFU Soundwave with Spacecase loose
    THS Hybrid Convoy 02
    Golden Disk set (of course)
    WSTF Hot Rod in Japanese Promo box
    Loose LOC wave 2
    All the SWTFs loose but Darth Vader (I should have bought him earlier in the day when I had the chance)
    Almost super mint Rotorblade complete and loose
    7 Predator missiles (EURO)
    The parts I needed to complete G1 Inferno
    Cybertron Evac loose
    Find Your Fate Book #2 (The Autobots lost big time last night....they became Cream of Autobot)
    and finally, a Crazy Steve Alicon!

The Golden Disk set is awesome, but I have not opened it yet. The packaging is some pretty I am slow to open them. They are in a tube, suppended like in Coming of the Fuzors Part 1.

The voice actor panel was awesome. The highlight was when David mentioned that in his new contract for Dragonlance, his character is contracted that he will not appear on any personal hygene products. This, of course, was a joke the whole panel by Scott McNeil. ("I don't feel so fresh..." "Try Wolverine Brand!" and on it went.) I want to make Depth Charge toliet paper now. It would be awesome to get a copy of the panel. Venus Terzo dropped the S-bomb on us during the panel. Of course, Scott McNeil constantly would do crazy stuff and go off in character and converse with himself.

Rat and I were lacking sleep so we left the Con early and did not go to the Beast Wars celebration though I would have loved to, but I was beat. I was asleep before 10!

I hope Iacon continues. With Botcon pricing itself out of a chunk of the fandom, Iacon would make an excellent affordable convention for those who cannot afford $500 just to make it through the convention doorway. They have a good potential for exclusives, though they are not official, that still will be a big draw for fans. The attendence seemed low, but it was the first event. It also made it so that you could move around and talk to the guests without standing in line forever. So shame on you who did not attend and could have! I look forward to it next year. I want it to be in Fort Wayne again so they can have a midnight showing of the live action TF movie across the street on opening night.

2. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

Those were your entries? The stained glass Prime and Unicrons were sweet.

3. AutobotWonko

AutobotWonko Toy Pimp

Thanks. :D 

4. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In case you missed it. :) 

It was fast and furious with a bit of Tokoyo Drift.

I had an incredible time at Iacon One.

Honestly, it did feel more like what we remember as the original Botcons.

Considering that the convention also came without the trappings of what is NOW Botcon, well, call me old fashioned, but I liked what I experienced.

For example, we had the honor of meeting with Scott, David, and Venus. Less several hundred other people meant a lot of genuine interaction with the people that gave us so much joy over the years.

We also got to meet with Bob and Don. One of the founding fathers of Transformers inventions and the one of the hottest Transformer artists out there. Again, take away several hundred other people and you have that much more of an enjoyable experience.

The dealer room was actually very nice and varied. Add in the fact that you were not stampeded and did not have to wait in a line 2 hours long was also a plus.

NOW, onto the memories.

Friday nite (10% staff level):

With last minute preps, I and a friend were asked to pick up Scott from the airport. Richard and I made it to the airport just fine. There were big GREEN signs pointing the way.

We arrived at the airport and picked up Scott who arrived a few minutes later. As always Scott was gracious, humorous, and intellectual.

We left a few minutes later. Note that Scott needs his luggage to keep his balance.

Now ... the trip back to the conventon center was a lil bit more complicated.

In essence, we got lost. Granted, only 15 minutes lost, but .. we have Scott in the backseat. Trying to get to the convention center. Now, what made the trip even more eventful was the "woman with a burning desire to not let us over into the right lane we we were in the wrong turn lane and drag raced at about 50 mph before realizing Grandma was gonna win and gave up."

We arrived at the hotel. Now, understand that with how my rear-view mirror and the hotel mirror were positioned, well ... let's just say it looked like Scott had already had his bags as I was driving away.

OK, whew. That's out of the way. Scott was alive, not lost, and all was well.

Friday nite had the VERY informative and interesting "Gobots VS Transformers" and how things were made, are made, and get painted presentations. VERY cool stuff.

The rest of the nite was talking and meeting up with people.

Saturday, of course, gave way to the dealer room. Oddly enough, the room seemed bigger than Botcon 2004. Lots of stuff to choose from. And people, Curt from TF Scourse just rocks! Great PRESENTATION, lots of product, and reasonable if not great prices. BBTS look out!

There were the voice acting panels, the autograph sessions, and meeting up with both Don and Bob. Also throughout the day you could chill both inside the dealer room and also inside the autograph/art contest room.

Speaking of art contest entries, all neat stuff. There was lighted glass artwork, custome Sharkticons ready to eat Kranix, an x-ray of Unicron's stomach, Soundwave's head, a kick-ass drawing of Dinobot kiicking butt in Code of Hero, dozens of hand painted PVCs, and a VERY cool custom Megatron and full transformable Grimlock the size of Optimal Optimus.

The day passed and the usual food, fun, and friends ensued. I met up again with the Trixter and started to get to know Walky (who I just really hate ). There were several other people that I chatted with, but some named elude me (getting old, I guess). BUT I enjoyed chatting with each and every person that I said hello to at the con.

Staurday nite gave way to the Beast Wars celebration. Scott, David, and Venus all were sitting up front. There was to be commentary from each of the voice actors during clips and entire episodes.

Here is the amazing thing. There was no doubt that the celebration was a bit, err ... PG-13. And it was hysterical. David, Venus, and Scott had us all lauging very, very, hard.

What was even more amazing as the episodes progressed was that the commentary became more and more sparse. And that was OK as, cool as it was, the three actors became more and more engrossed in what they were watching. It was incredible to realize that the people in that room who WERE those characters enjoyed and cared about Beast Wars the show.

The rest of the nite evolved into a bar, Karoke (did I even just spell that right), and, from what I heard, Scott singing heavy metal songs. I did not know, however, as I was in my room recovering from a bad headache.

Today consisted of the obligatory hotel breakfast buffet, packing, and the long goodbyes. Venus was just SO genuine and gave everybody hugs goodbye (and Sorry about the headbut Venus, I'm just too tall for my own good).

Well, there you have it. Iacon One. Fun, genuine, and well, perhaps, shades of a "Botcon" to come.

Thank you Malin and Phil (you guys are way cool, especially as I got to be 14.59% staff). Trixter, keep writing! And Walky, well he's OK.

5. undertaker

Note to author: Missing one turn does not = getting lost.

Pulling away from Scott as he was reaching for his bags... now that's priceless.

6. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eek!

I SOOOOO felt like Waspinator when I did that. :lolol 

7. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

I thought Iacon One was great. I liked the small size and the dealers room was pretty good for the attendence.

I saw many a friend and bought many a toy while drinking many a beer.

8. undertaker

Many a beer... including one FREE beer, as several of us ultimately received, along with free nachos and free onion rings :D 

Ahhh, the 412 did us right that evening.

9. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

10. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

Yes...the 412. Free food and beer is always good. If this happens again and is in Fort Wayne, we need to make this part of the adventure.

This goes to show you that they need to have us pay as soon as we get our food and not after we are drunk and have to ask around the next morning to find out if anyone paid.

11. AutobotWonko

AutobotWonko Toy Pimp