My "I need a job thread!"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbroz, Jan 26, 2009.

1. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

I thought I would throw my off topic job search post on here. I also thought that other people are in the same predicament that I am, so feel free to post follow up "I need a job" threads...

As everyone in the US knows, the job market has tanked... big time. I just finished my master's degree in biology from a good school (Newsweek's "Best Colleges" list). Have my bachelor's in biology and writing... teaching experience, sales experience, lab experience, published author...

If anyone knows of anywhere that's hiring, let me know. I would prefer one of two areas: Cleveland/Akron, Ohio or Los Angeles, California (family and friends in those areas).

Thanks for all the help! I have a resume and whatever if anyone has any suggestions. I am, of course, using Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed, etc. But not everyone advertises on there.

I am willing to do part-time work for now, too.
    Thanks!

Kurt Broz, MA

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

You could try USAjobs. It's for the federal government. With your degree and experience I'm sure you'd find something relevant! You can put your resume into it and get updates and job openings in your specific areas!

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I've got a degree and 11 years experience in my field. It's not helping any right now though. :( 

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You could easily find a job as a science teacher, they are in demand right now.

The only thing holding you back would be your master's degree (sounds backwards right?) Since you have your master's, you are a more expensive buy as compared to someone straight from undergrad with no experience. But I still say with the science background you can get a job pretty easy.

5. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    You could always try the Army.

6. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

The only problem with the science teacher is that I don't have a teaching degree. In Ohio you have to go through all that stuff... But I did teach in a college for two years getting my master's. Figure that out...

I will check out USAJobs. Thanks.

And no army. Nothing against the army but I put myself through 6 years of school so I didn't have to do something like that...

I really have only been looking for a month (not counting the holidays) and just officially got my degree the 15th, so, I won't start complaining yet.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How do you mean, "something like that?"

Seriously, though, with your educational background you might be eligible to enter service as an officer. Pay is high, bullshit is low(er, to be fair). If you have any loans, the military would be a great way to pay them off. And while a degree in biology is okay on a resume, the benefits of four years of leadership experience in the military tend to impress most employers in a way not much else can.

8. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I agree with what mr squirrelcar said.
    I too am in the military.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would assume that Ohio has an emergency certification program that would allow you to teach while you worked on getting your license. Indiana has a program like this that works pretty good.

As for teaching college and school, they are two different beasts. There are no real standards for teaching in college other than a masters or a doctorate. There is a lot more to deal with in grade school levels. Not saying its bad, just different.