My Grandma...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Over the past 96 hours or so, my Grandma's been through some bad stuff, and my family and I have had one hell of an ordeal. Firstly, she was in the hospital because (from what I've heard from my parents and my uncles) someone who works in the nursing home forgot to do something for her (can't remember what). Well, the family realized that the nursing home Grandma was in wasn't necessarily a good idea, so everyone helped her move to another nursing home, this one in Fairfield (closer to where I live in Dublin). Unfortunately, there was something one of the people working at the nursing home forgot to do (something about her blood sugar being too low), and Grandma was sent to the hospital. Now I figured that, knowing her, she'd pull through (she survived three heart attacks, how's that for toughness?). Well, we got some bad news that she took a turn for the worse (so my mom went to stay with her and my uncles). Apparently, the heart attacks my grandma's been through had a negative effect on the rest of her system, and from what the "hospitalist" said, if they don't do anything, she would die in two to three months. They didn't want to crack her chest open, given how old she is, and she wouldn't survive the surgery. Of course, the only action they could do was to have a gall bladder surgery on her so her system could start working again. The doctor said that she might not survive, but my dad pretty much said what I would say if I were there: The doctor's only saying that to cover his own ass. So everyone reluctantly decided to go with the surgery. Everyone in my family was praying that she'd make it. I don't know what I would do without my grandma. She's the sweetest lady you'll ever meet. She's full of wisdom and knowledge, and somewhat stubborn, too (apparently me and my mother inherited this gene from her, in my theory). That stubbornness is what drives her to keep living.

Well, I got a text from my mom today at around 4, and she said that the surgery was a success and my Grandma's gonna be fine. I never felt so relieved in my entire life. I've lost three grandparents (both on my father's side, my grandfather on my mother's side), and three cats (Boo, who belonged to my grandma, Bootsy, who ran away after my brother got himself a dog and named her Anna, and Rusty, who died from intestinal infection back on July 23rd, 2006). I was afraid that I would lose my last grandparent. I am so thankful that she's alive and thats she's gonna pull through.

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's condition. Sadly, losing them is a part of life. It sucks, but there's not a damn hing you can do about it. All you can do is remember the good times you've had with them. That keeps you going.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Wow. That's horrible to hear about the nursing home screwing something up. Accident, maybe, but look at all the mess it's caused. Thankfully the surgery went well and she'll be okay for the time being. Now just make sure you spend as much time with her as possible.

I'll keep praying for you and your family!

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    But how is Kickback's girlfriend?

5. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    High five for tough grandmothers! Mine survived a stroke, some blood illness, and amnesia! :D 

It's so awesome that she lived, I can understand if I lost my grandmother. :) 

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    She's good. I'll give her your regards.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why is "hospitalist" in quotes?

It's like you think he was posing as a doctor or something. I'm gonna start referring to all sorts of professions that way. Yeah, that "fast food worker" offered me a Supersize.

Oh, that "judge" thinks what I did was wrong? Well, that's just his opinion and my opinion is that I didn't, so there.

Oh, that "cashier" said they couldn't sell me that RoTF toy and it shouldn't have been on the shelves. So I cut her heart out and fed it to her kids.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Doooooble poooooost.

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Lol. It's amazing what two little lines on each side of a word can do to a sentence.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    What's with all the hate in this thread? This isn't the right thread to have laughs.

Eric, I'm sorry about your grandma. I also lost mine and my grandfather in the years, after many hospitalizations. I know how hard it is, and both of you are lucky she's alright. :) 

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  11. Brolga01

Brolga01 Olé

I know how you feel.:cry  But hey,she's still kicking!!!!:lol 

12. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope she will make a speedy recovery.

13. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Here's to a quick recovery!!!

14. Sage o' G-fruit

News Credits:
    Yeah, you guys are being very mean to Eric for no good reason. This isn't the thread for being a bunch of jerks, even if you are joking.

15. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    My grandma is my last surviving grandparent. She's 94 and has survived 2 strokes in the past year. She's in declining health but she's still going.

I'll be praying for you and yours!!

16. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Oh, I have a reason. Someone cried wolf before in a way that wasn't the least bit amusing.

17. Sage o' G-fruit

News Credits:
    What, the Kickback thing? Get. Over. It.

Oh, I wasn't aware getting tricked by a fake Kickback was an acceptable reason for poking fun at Eric, who's family has just gone through a trying ordeal. :rolleyes2 

18. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I guess the consequence of making a false sympathy thread of that nature is that people don't take you seriously. Go figure.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Was scared to click the thread at first, was expecting the worse.
    So glad she's doing well.
    It's still sad she's the last grandparent, hope she lives a looooong time. The family stubborness must be a blessing.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    *facepalm*