my graduate advisor quit school, leaving me alone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mentat_emre, Jul 9, 2008.

1. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

Hi people;
    I don't write much in the forums but i always read the threads time to time.
    I'm an astronautics engineer and studying in graduate degree on Advanced Technologies Aeronautics and Astronautics program in Istanbul Technical University. My thesis will be similar as my undergraduate thesis. Migration of the bubbles. I finished my first year and when i called my adviser to talk about starting my thesis, he said he quit the school and started to work in an airlines company. Worst of all, there are no teacher who works about my subject in my university. Probably, I have to start over on a new subject. I haven't done much things about my thesis except running 5 simulations (which lasts over 30 days for each simulation), but i was familiar to the subject and im not familiar about other subject. Adaptation on a new subject will be difficult i guess. Anyway thanks for reading.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    sorry to hear it mate.

3. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That sucks yo'. At my uni I think that supervisors are contractually bound to find a suitable replacement if they want to take off and leave a student hanging.

4. mentat_emre

maybe he will find a replecament, but AFAIK there are other person who works on that project.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, you could always see if another university nearby might focus on the same subject.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1) I love the use of the word "mentat," from a classic English-language SF novel, in a Turkish poster's UN. Globalization is very cool.

2) That sucks. That really sucks. I think Ops has a good idea, though. If you can't find another advisor, you should consider another school.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    You sound smart enough anyway. Does suck though to lose someone that was helping you. Wish my highschool AND college advisers wouldve been of some help but alas, they werent and here I am in the social field.....

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    colleges spook me. best friend had his advisor blindly approve his schedules without ever helping- eventually it caught up with him as the university told him he couldn't take certain classes because it was too late to change majors. another problem was actually seeing one- they had worse schedules than a church. i knew of one that said he was available during pre-registration for 2 hours a week. For all his students.
    worst, i still have a business card from an advisor that still bothers me. it was double sided. She was a full time faculty at 2 colleges.

i think that your college should be held responsible for this. you are paying for a degree and they have to bend over backwards to make sure you get it, not the other way around.
    good luck with your degree

9. mentat_emre

im not paying for a degree actually, at least not much.In turkey state universities are cheap (must be free actually). Anyway adviser did not call me since, im still waiting

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Have you checked out any of the other universities around to see if they offer a similar program or subject of study...or, if nothing else, if any of the nearby professors/educators have similar/same experience?

11. mentat_emre

i haven't check yet. But if there is any it will be difficult to go another university because i 'll additional lessons to take from my university.

12. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I wouldnt be as successful if it wasnt for my advisor. Even if I'm passing with flying colors every semester I check with her pretty regularly just to make sure everything is going smoothly and I'm making correct decisions with school. Advisors almost have more pull in your school career than you do.

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    True, but it might be better to take 2 or 3 courses at another university to continue your subject of study than it is to RESTART YOUR ENTIRE COLLEGE CAREER. Think about it.

14. mpdb6

mpdb6 Active Member

It seems like if you've gotten this far in Graduate School on such a difficult subject then you should be fine to work on your thesis. What does the advisor help you with?

15. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Istanbul... :drunk , kinda dangerous no?

16. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hopefully, there is another university nearby that has a similar subject matter. I know how it feels. Like mentioned before, a few extra courses at another university would not hurt you. It would be devastating if you had to entirely redo your graduate degree.

17. mentat_emre

astronautical engineering exist in only my university, i don't think i can take lessons from another university

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, it sounds like you need to make some decisions one way or the other.