My gears have been ground!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Jan 30, 2010.

1. kraven

kraven Decepticon

People offering a service for a fee doesn' sound all that bad. Its the thought of someone going up to a car and saying, "Looks like you need some help? Got any money? No? Alright see ya." Now thats lame.

And props to you for lending a helping hand just to be nice!

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm not really seeing the comparisons with natural disasters here. From what is said in the OP, no one's life was in danger. Some people had skidded off the road. They would have to pay a recovery service to get their car back on the road. Some people with vehicles suitable to the conditions offered, probably at a lower rate than a professional would charge, to get those people back on the road now instead of waiting. The horror? :inquisiti 

Don't get me wrong, good on you for helping out. I just don't see why other people are assholes for charging for a service.

3. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, that was total crap. WTF were they thinking? You have people ploughing the streets for free. Besides, it's not like the city of Calgary ever ploughs streets anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that the city was worried that people would clear the roads and then want money from the city for doing the job it never does anyway.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yeah, that is a good point. Plus, it made is about 100% harder to dig my car out after the good Samaritans plowed my street. :( 

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    They're probably more worried about being blamed/liable should something be damaged by the good samaritan plower. In my area, if the city-contracted plow damages a car, the city has to buy the car, so they're damned careful about not getting within 3 feet of cars.

Still, I applaud Rumble02, you did good, and you probably don't realize just how appreciative the people you got out were, especially since you didn't ask for money like they were probably expecting.

--Moony

6. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

The City of Calgary still hasn't done anything for my street.

What the city SHOULD do is instead of NOT plowing the streets, they should warn everybody ahead of time not to park there during X time, and if you ARE parked there, the vehicle gets towed. Or in my world, the vehicle gets plowed as well :p