My funny NYC Subway story.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FreshDebesh, Feb 15, 2006.

1. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

So I moved to NYC about 5 months ago. I've learned that the subway is my best friend, along with my feet. So it seems like a regular day, heading home after a long day of patient care.

For me to get home, I have to take two trains. So I switch at Union Square. The train that takes me to Union Square is really empty, but the one that takes me home is usually packed because of rush hour. So as I make my way to the platform after getting off the first train, I see that my second train has pulled in, and there's like a gazillion people lined up to get in. Also, I get into the end of the train, since the end of the train drops me off near the exit at my stop. So I thought to myself, screw it, I'll just take the next train as I stroll to the other end of the platform.

At this point, something compelled me to just get on in the front part of the train. The rush of people had already gotten onto the train, and it didn't look too crowded. So I made a dash to get in to the subway car. As I made my way in, the doors closed in on me from either side. I managed to get my hands up so as to hold the doors open. At this point, everyone in the subway car is staring at me, stuck in the doors, holding the doors open. I'm pretty expressionless at this point, as I've done this before, and I know that I have to get my backpack (which is on my back) in, and then i can just slide in. So I remember Lou Ferrigno as the Incredible Hulk, as he's been in the news lately, and I push the door to my right open just enough to sneak my backpack in. At this point, I've beaten the door. That's right. I didn't back down. I took on the door and I won. Was it stupid? Sure. Could have I gotten hurt? Probably. I didn't care. I wanted in on that particular subway car and I was getting in one way or the other.

So at this point, I'm sliding in, and the subway doors open for me, AFTER I already got myself in. This cute girl sitting next to the doorway I entered has her mouth wide open in shock. Of course, I had to say something witty, so I say "Had to get in somehow, ya know?" And she just starts busting up laughing. Then I hear over the PA system to "stand clear of the doors," to which I retort, "Yeah thanks, I got in already." The girl laughs again. At this point, everyone in the subway car is like who the hell is this idiot. So basically I ride home like that, standing in that very doorway, next to the doors I conquered. The girl, with her boyfriend, got off a few stops before me, and looked at me one last time as she was exiting. I gave her a quick nod and smile, and she smiled back. Who says a doctor can't be reckless and badass for one day!

Fin

2. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

What I took from that was that you were horny.

3. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

That's a foregone conclusion.

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah yes. The subway is always fun for stories like that. Good job beating the system.

5. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I'd hit it.

The door, that is. Some of them are designed to spring open when enough force is applied on them from the inside. Which is one reason you're not supposed to lean against the doors.

One time I was riding the T home (that's the subway/metro rail service for those of you who have never been to Boston), and a homeless guy puked on the train. From the outside, while standing on a platform.

Onto the window across from my seat.

Have you ever seen a person projectile vomit onto a window? No?

It is one of the images that will forever be burned into my memory. It's kind of difficult to describe, but have you ever seen one of those religious paintings from the Renaissance in which a saint or other holy person is depicted with a halo as a radiant golden disk with rays of light shooting off of it behind their heads? It was a lot like that, except the woman who was sitting across from me, in direct line between me, the window, and the homeless guy didn't look particularly holy, and the radiant golden disk was actually pea-green in color and had chunky orange bits in it and runny streaks radiating out from its center.

The woman had no idea what happened on the other side of the window, a fraction of an inch from the back of her head. I wish I had my camera at the time.

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Hehe, nice subway story, sounds like one of the old trains (the non-computerized ones) you were wrestling with.:) 

For me, during rush hour, after class, I generally take off my book bag so that I can more easily squeeze into the crowd.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    fresh = 1, train doors = 0. yay for the home team!

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good gracious Debesh, glad you made it out of the door OK.:thumb 

9. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

The train preachers are the best. I was going back to the girl I was dating at the time home on a packed subway car. This guy is in full effect for the whole ride. Fire and brimestone, Jesus, blah blah. So as we come to our stop, he starts to whined up. So me being the ass I am, yell out, "Preach on Brother, Preach on!!!!" and then procced to get off the train. I think several people were trying to get hand guns out to shoot me. :D  :D 

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Debeshdas STRONG! Train PUNY! SmASH!

11. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

I avoide them,if possible,when I go to NYC. I prefer to walk.

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

a friend of mine was running to get on a london tube once, as he got near the door he leapt through and smacked the top of his head on the top of the doorframe. cut his head open and delayed the train for 45 minutes as we waited for an ambulance. that was funny as hell.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Welcome To NY!! :cool:  And Overpriced Subways!! :thumbdown 

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Overpriced? Come to England dear, I'll show you overpriced.

15. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

quoted for depression.

16. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

Being from England myself, I expect to be over-charged for public transport and services!! :D 

17. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena CyberCon is #1! Veteran

News Credits:
    Awesome story Beshy! Personally, though, I never run/rush to get on a train. I've seen many a limb get cought on subway doors to my content.

18. Optimus Law

Optimus Law Pending Court Order

oh the trains in nyc are so much fun, you should try riding them after midnight when they are all screwed up for when they desided to do repairs. and the weekends, talk about a fun fun mess. to this day i still loath the F train.

19. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

How much is it London?

20. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I like subways, so much so that they will be my primary mode of transportation in about six months.