My fun idea....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by IceMagnus, Jul 24, 2012.

1. IceMagnus

IceMagnus I like it loud!

News Credits:
    Why don't we start gettting blind bag Transformers? I was looking at the MLP: FIM ones and thought to myself "why not they make them for Transformers figures?"

2. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see this working for a few reasons.

A lot of designing and engineering goes into Transformers. MLP blind bags cost you roughly $2 and are heavily stocked because of how small and easy to produce they are. It would be difficult to design tiny enough TFs to fit into bags like that. Even IF they're legend class the designing/engineering alone would increase the price per bag.

On the other hand, if your talking about full size deluxe class toys, that would mean full retail price. Think about it, would you pay $10-$15 on something you don't even know you have or want? And even if there were an identification chart like the MLP blind bags, that would ruin the whole purpose of them being blind bags.

3. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    It has been done in Japan.
    Smallest Transforming Transformers were mostly blind-boxed. The concept worked because they were small => cheap to produce, and of course the relative rarity of the chase variants aided sales. Most of all, though, the Smallest Transformers were popular because they were tiny versions of G1 Transformers. Like MLP:FIM still proves, nostalgia is an excellent marketing gimmick.

For the rest, Cyber-Scream seems to have the arguments against doing this covered. The only way this could probably be done in a profitable way is if they re-release the Smallest Transformers molds: making new molds would be way too expensive. And I severely doubt that the Smallest Transformers pass the relevant US safety laws (if they would, I'm pretty sure the US would have seen them by now).

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There were some TF MiniCon blind bags a short while back. I paid £2 each for mine, but I don't know if that was the going rate or a cut price rate because I picked them up at the tail end of the run. £2 seemed too cheap for a MiniCon figure at regular retail here, although I suppose less packaging would've helped keep costs down.

Personally I'm not fond of the blind pack concept as I'd prefer to buy exactly what I want rather than risk getting the same figure over and over. I'm not poor, but I'm not rich enough either to buy many of these blind, and I've no-one around here to swap doubles with. Thankfully I was able to feel out the bags to find the figures I wanted, although it was made a little more difficult because some were part-transformed in the bag to fit and there were chunky gummy sweets in there too to confuse the issue (is that a wheel or a circular gummy?) so there was still an element of uncertainty involved.

[​IMG]

But if you're talking about blind packing larger figures then I think that would be doomed to quick failure. Especially if almost all of them were Bumblebees. :p 

However I would think it cool to release Legends/Legion Class figures in bags with a clear front window displaying the figure inside as a possible cheaper alternative to card and bubble packaging.

5. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Technically we're getting them with the Blindbagged transforming Kreons.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I can simulate the experience for you. Send me $20 and I will ship you some random Transformers.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't mind it for the smaller stuff (Kreons, Mini Cons, Legends), but that gimmick needs to stay the hell away from everything else.

8. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't care how we get them, but I just want Mini-Cons, and Kre-O fulfilled my wish.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Blind-packed Leader class toys please!

10. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

If you're blind-packing little figures, I guess it's a game of some sort like lottery tickets. If you're blind-packing larger figures, it means you don't have confidence in their ability to sell on their own. If that's the case, why are you bothering to produce them at all? I'm not sure exactly where something like Botcon or MattyCollector's subscription models fit on this scale but I really hate the sight-unseen aspect of them.