Minor/Repaint: My first time customizing a figure (BBBB)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ^BumbleBee^, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ^BumbleBee^

^BumbleBee^ Active Member

Due to my 'wallet' issue, i couldnt afford air brush, so i hand paint the whole figure myself. But since the shop ran out of Tamiya Ts Clear Coat, I havnt do the sealing/finishing yet. Pictures a bit blur cause first time taking pics with camera, no experience >.< Heres a brief explaining on where i repaint my figure.
    1.Gauntlet
    2.Cannon
    3.Axe
    4.Fingers
    5.Leg
    6.The yellow parts below the armpit
    7.Tinted Window
    8.Painted grey/black parts with titanium silver
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    As you can see, the original and the painted yellow colour are slightly different because of my laziness to mix the yellow with orange or repaint the whole figure xD

Attached Files:

2. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I hate to sound like an a**hole but these pics are not good enough to see any details at all. I'm sure the work on the fig. is great, but there's really no way to see it.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

For the most part, agreed with above. Can't see a damn thing.

On the one photo where i can make out something, it does look good, but there's little we can say to help you until we can actually see what you're doing.

4. ^BumbleBee^

Uploaded better pics. Take a look.

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    nice pics... but tip... also use atleast 1 to attach the the first post! ;)  nice work!!

6. ^BumbleBee^

Lolx, thanks for the reminder, Couldnt attach just now due to internet problem xD

7. Treadshot A1

Hey BB, got your PM.

Somehow I find it difficult to believe you, though. This is your first? Really? This looks too good to be a first custom... ;) 

The only thing I would say is that next time, you should also try painting the car parts. As I'm sure you can see, matching the exact shade of yellow is hard with paint, so to give a better flow to the figure, you should paint the car mode in the same shade of yellow.

If that seems like a tall order, and you don't think you can do a clean paintjob for the whole car yet, I recommend reading the tutorials on drybrushing and weathering; they can fix up a bad paintjob and make it look spectacular.

Good luck and hope to see more from you.

8. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Agree, just like my IronHidePrime :D 

9. ^BumbleBee^

Lolx thanks a lot dude. i didnt dare to mess with the car parts cause i don't have air brush and afraid that my painting would ruin it, but i will keep that in note and will try it once i get another bottle of paint xD
    And this is really my first custom. Even remember few weeks ago i keep bothering OmegaPrime1983 for tips and how to paint, pity him have to answer all my questions patiently hahaha

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Welcome to Radicons! I think this is a good first project. Hopefully, it's wet your appetite to make more! :) 

As far as the photos go, I think there is plenty of detail in them to see what's going on (and I've seen a lot worst posted here, from Radicons who have been around for a while no less). I would recommend simply rotating your photos around so we don't have to break our necks seeing your work :D 

11. ^BumbleBee^

Ops,sorry for the bad photos angle, this is also my first time posting pictures on forums. Btw, it sure wets my appetite to make more xD I have a gf who is also a crazy fan of bumblebee, so i might custom paint a BBBB in hot pink for her. And i thought my post was the worst here hehe. And more pics coming soon after i rest for awhile >.<

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dude, it looks great for your first custom. Looks better than my first that's for sure!! :lol . I can't wait to see more from you. Also, in the future, if you are looking to do massive amounts of details, try looking at actual pictures of the character you are painting. You can only get better from doing so man! Now fly young padawan, fly like the painter you are meant to be!! :redfaces: Yea, Idk wtf that was supposed to be either...

13. Treadshot A1

*proudly raises hand*

That would be me!!! :D  :lol 

I just wanted to add that in all the silver parts, i see some brownish tinges. Is that deliberate, or just the camera playing tricks with us? Because if it is, congratulations my good man, and if it isn't...well you know what to aim for with weathering. :) 

14. ^BumbleBee^

Woah, seriously Chris? To be honest and frank, i had always thought of mine as either normal or ugly. Gonna make a hot pink BBBB during Dec after my examinations. Btw Chris, i couldnt really get the actual pictures of Bumblebee, i mean i get the pictures but could not really see the detailed parts lolx so i just refer to what you did to Savio's BBBB (Best custom paint IMO) and some of Mechafacture's BBBB (Not much though cause i know myself i couldnt make it as detailed as his) The extra yellow on my BBBB leg's outerpart is just to make it look like it had more armour there lolx. And being praised 'it looks great for your first custom' already make me so honoured and happy, in addition of 'looks better than my first that's for sure' made me even proud of what i did to my BBBB. But all this would not had happen if you did not taught me and gave me precious secret tips on detailing, thanks a lot
    Oh the brownish tinges, those are places which are quite hard for me to reach wit brush haha, but no worries, im still working on my BBBB at least once a day trying to cover up all the mistakes. Thanks for telling me, appreciate it ^^ and btw, i think that your customs are way better than mine

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're welcome!! I was more than happy to help. As I said in my PM to you, I now expect more from you now! :lol . And I wouldn't say that the paint work I did on savio's BB was the BEST... just one of the best, lol (<-- joking) I am glad that I was able to help though, and I can't wait to see more from you man. CHEERS!

16. ^BumbleBee^

Oppsie, expectations from you will make me nervous lolx. To be honest, i really admire your skill in custom painting, and if only i can have half of your skill xD Couldnt wait to see your custom BBBB, is it WIP now?? More pictures coming soon, please give me a few more hours, charging my cam lolx

17. ^BumbleBee^

Added new pics. Enjoy. Btw, anyone know which balljoint would fit the chest piece mod perfectly?? The legend ravage ball joint is a bit too loose for it.

18. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

I used the bits that hold the roof on Mixmaster's cab. Only useful if you have a junker Mixmaster though I guess.

Paintjob looks great. Don't be afraid to unscrew things and dismantle for painting!

I wouldn't bother using a branded clear coat - go with 'Finish' instead. Seriously, it rocks. Also great for thinning paint for window tints.

Keep at it!

19. ^BumbleBee^

Too bad my wallet's empty lolx, couldnt get a junky mixmaster. Erm Bovril, im still quite new to custom paint, so mind if i ask what's 'Finish'? Thanks a lot xD

20. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    I don't know if it's a lighting issue but the yellow pieces on the arms and legs seem to stick out too much, but overall it looks pretty good