Heavy/Scratch: My first TF custom part

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SureShot90, Aug 13, 2007.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Getting tired of endless searching on ebay for over 1 year and some months for Nightbeat's helmet/set and not wanting to buy a new complete one, because mine was almost complete and very mint just missing the helmet/seat, I decided to make my first custom TF part.

Nightbeat without helmet.
    [​IMG]

With helmet.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Vector Sigma and some free styrene sample I was able to make my own helmet. It's not 100% accurate to the original but it's good enough for me. The helmet sits nice and tight and doesn't fall off :)  Now I just need to find some suitable blue colour for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes it also functions as seat :) 
    [​IMG]

Yes I made it all out of the styrene sheets Vector Sigma sent. I just made it layer by layer before I used sandpaper to round it on all areas. Then I took the drill to drill the "ear" wholes for the guns to attach to.
    It's my first experience with styrene, but I have worked with plastic-parts a lot before and making custom parts and accessories for my aircraft modelkits.
    Working with the styrene wasn't that hard, but getting the sandpaper and other stuff to make it was a bit difficult to find - especially a drillbit that would work. I had one 2mm but since the guns are 3mm in diameter i had to work the drill around a bit.
    As "cement" i used Loctite Super Attack - the good thing is that when it glues it REALLY glues - the down side is you have one attempt because it dryes very very fast.
    It took me around 4hrs to make since it's all done by hand.

Nightbeats original helmet is like this
    [​IMG]

Minerva's - essentially the same helmet.
    [​IMG]

I know mine doesn't have the guns attached to the very bottom of the helmet, but I just felt it look a but unnatural for him to be wide at the neck. Also the sides on mine is a bit longer forwared because I wanted to hide all the detail from the "robot-head" when folded.
    Although they look similar mine isn't 100% accurate - I made what I could with the tools I had available - If I had a dremel and some other stuff it could have been better :) 

I decided that I would make it a cross between the toy and the comics helmet, so I added some small front "horns" like the comics version.
    [​IMG]

I used Gameshop Hawk Turquoise (for War Hammer figures) and Panduro-hobby middle-blue acrylics. It took a lot of trial and error to get the right mix, not colour wise but to get the right amount of mix so that the paint would actaully harden.
    Last i used clear polish for cars to protect the paint.

This project has taken a lot longer than I anticipated. Colours not binding or hardening etc.... But now finally after getting the mixes on the colours right etc and getting some clear polish on it it's done and ready for use. Colours are a bit darker on the helmet than the pictures show, bit I had to get the right mix perfectly else it wouldn't bind or harden. Considered everything is done in hand and some sandpaper for shaping etc I'm quite pleased with the result. If I had all the right tools and the right paint it would have been better... but well you can't win them all :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Very impressive! I'm not familiar with the figure, but it looks very nice with this custom helmet! Great work!

3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Very impressive! I'm not familiar with the figure, but it looks very nice with this custom helmet! Great work!

4. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Same here...I'm not familiar with the TF...but you did a really nice job molding the helmet...looks very close to the original...great job for your first...

btw...nice pictures as well...

5. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Same here...I'm not familiar with the TF...but you did a really nice job molding the helmet...looks very close to the original...great job for your first...

btw...nice pictures as well...

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I LOVE that! Now I just need a G1 Nightbeat . . . :( 

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I LOVE that! Now I just need a G1 Nightbeat . . . :( 

8. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Thank you :D . Nightbeat is one of those "pesky" headmasters who is darn hard to get complete... he's always missing something and if you want a complete one you might as well be looking for a MIB/MISB example.

If I had had a multifuntion tool like a dremel the work would have been a lot easier, but still sometimes it's fun doing everything by hand.

9. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Thank you :D . Nightbeat is one of those "pesky" headmasters who is darn hard to get complete... he's always missing something and if you want a complete one you might as well be looking for a MIB/MISB example.

If I had had a multifuntion tool like a dremel the work would have been a lot easier, but still sometimes it's fun doing everything by hand.

10. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Amen to that. I've been trying to complete mine for years and I need the helmet AND the headmaster!

You should really fix those old stickers with a new reprolabel set now to finish it off.

11. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Amen to that. I've been trying to complete mine for years and I need the helmet AND the headmaster!

You should really fix those old stickers with a new reprolabel set now to finish it off.

12. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yea, I'll be doing that when I get some cash for my much needed Sky Lynx stickers :) 

13. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yea, I'll be doing that when I get some cash for my much needed Sky Lynx stickers :) 

14. SureShot90

Ebay:
    As cartoon he's not seen at all, but in the comics he had a nice role about the hunt for the Matrix and so :) 

15. SureShot90

Ebay:
    As cartoon he's not seen at all, but in the comics he had a nice role about the hunt for the Matrix and so :) 

16. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work.

I've had no problem with getting the head or the seat/helmet, it's the small guns I have a problem with (for Nightbeat, Siren and Hosehead).

17. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work.

I've had no problem with getting the head or the seat/helmet, it's the small guns I have a problem with (for Nightbeat, Siren and Hosehead).

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's the first part you've ever made? I'm impressed.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's the first part you've ever made? I'm impressed.