My first speeding ticket-- question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rabbit, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

Heya

I don't usually post with these kinds of questions -- this is a message board about toys after all but I got a speeding ticket this morning. My first one ever in almost 15 years of driving. I was doing 20 over the limit in a school zone. Yes, I'm a bad man but it was an honest mistake.

Anyway, I pulled over and the officer asked me if the car was registered under my name, I told him it was and he walked back to his car saying he'd be right back. In the meantime, I pulled out my registration, license etc etc and when he came back, he handed me the ticket, told me to be more careful and that was that. He never even bothered to check out my info.

So, my brother suggests I fight the ticket because the officer didn't really follow procedure. For $90 and 1 demerit point I'm not sure it's worth it; he really did have me dead to rights. I did the crime. What do you guys think? I assume the cop must have all my info on record anyway but it was my understanding they have to corroborate it with my paperwork which is all current by the way. Do I have a good reason to fight the ticket?

This was in Montreal by the way.

Thanks

2. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    For one demerit point it's worth it to hire someone to go to court on your behalf and get the demerit point taken out of the equation. That's what will make your insurance go up for the next few years. A fine is a one time thing and nothing. Take the advise of someone that has had tons of speeding tickets.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My local newspaper had an article about fighting traffic tickets not too long ago... and sheesh. I don't think I want to discuss the details of that article here. Besides, I forgot about half of what was said in it anyways.

I only got a ticket once, and that was last year in February when I got into a car accident on my way to college... of which the accident was my fault. I paid the ticket, because I felt really bad about what I did.

I say, if you really want to fight the ticket, then go ahead and do so. It might end up being a waste of time, though...

4. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how it is up there but down here in Alabama we have computers in our car. I run the car for warrants then the person the car is registered to before I even stop the car. If its the same person when I approach the window I will not ask for a license. So I usually dont ask. If you know you was wrong why not just take like a man and receive the punishment?

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

he was just being nice....he could of been a total ass about it.

but $90 in a school zone for 20 over...geez, it'd be like $300+ here (as its double the fine for school/construction zones).

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd go to court and tell them it was an honest mistake. But first get in touch with your insurance agent and find out if a one-time ticket and demerit will cause an increase in your premium and for how long the increase will be in effect. My insurance company considers one speeding offense within 2 years not worth a premium increase.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only speeding ticket i ever got:
    i was doing 85mph on a empty road outside of a small town (about 25,000 people) on a 3 hour drive home.
    i ran past a caution light -same one i have always past by at 20 miles over the limit in my years- and after i past it, i saw a squad car in my rearview.
    if i had slowed down to 60, i woulda been ok. i was 3 miles from home!
    but i got the ticket because of my glasses. i wore heavy tint at the time and had horn rims. the cop didn't even ask me, he saw me look at him through "shades" and i got a ticket before i could dig my registration out.

oh, my town is a speed trap for spring breakers trying to get to Panama City Beach each year. be warned
    We may be named after a starship, but we are still 20 years behind everything, lol. -that was a hint-

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you matched the description of the owner of the car(which the cop likely found out before he pulled you over, or before getting to your door), why does the cop need to verify your drivers license again? The only reason that comes to mind, is if he was looking for something else to nail you on as well, and it doesn't seem that he was.

Find out if you can do traffic school or something, or just pay the fine and stop speeding.

9. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

How many points till you lose your license? Here in Brazil a speeding ticket would cost you around $350 and 7 points of your 30 available. That is, if it's not just a "permission" (1st year). If so, any ticket will cost you the license, no matter the points.

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

In my area, your plates are run and your record is pulled up before they even "weewoo" the lights.

Your plates = Your registration = your licence = your Name

he asked an explicit question that makes gathering all the info Easier. If you would have said 'no' he would have needed your licence and registration to see who you are and who owned the car.

You did the crime, pay it. He didn't break proceedure. You have a false expectation of what proceedure is and would look foolish in court. Judges around here actually get nasty with people who go into court and try to claim things to get out of the ticket. If you want to go to admit you were wrong just to see if you can get the points waived, then go for it. But if you want to go make excuses, be prepared for retaliation and possibly even a stricter fine.

11. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Well, county courts sometimes consider first time traffic offenders in good light. With that being said, usually they will "drop the charges" under conditions of "no same or similar" if you can stay clean from getting pulled over for a year or so. What that means is they put on a probationary period for a while, as long as you get no other traffic violations, they will drop the ticket.

Your best bet is to set a court date by calling the correct district court that has issued your violation, and talk to the court secretary there, and schedule a date for your ticket to be heard in-front of the judge. From there, talk to the District Attorney first on your court day. Like I said they would like first time offenders to have a clean record, but judging by it was in a school zone, he/she may not be so leniant but its worth a try to see what offer the DA can give you.

Instead of simply "sucking it up" and sending a check to the address listed on the violation, sometimes it's worth your time to have your case heard, and the courts may give you some kind of a break.

I don't know how spendy that ticket may be, but courts also give you an option of making monetary installments (usually split into 3 or 4 payments or less) on the cost of the fine if its gonna put a hurtin' on your wallet to pay the complete fine up front.

You pay taxes, so use your rights. You may qualify for a public pretender (public defender laywer) for free, based on your income, but if you make too much money, one will not be appointed for you.

12. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

You broke the law,now pay the fine.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'd say just pay it

14. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

Thank you for your input. Having never got a ticket, I'm a little disappointed that I broke my streak. Some of you were rather...pointed, harsh even, in your replies but I've decided that yes, it's a silly thing to go to court and argue. I screwed up, I should pay. Police procedure had nothing to do with the fact I was over the limit so I'm going to pay the fine. It would cost me more in time and energy to challenge it but I was compelled to ask anyway.

Personal accountability, kids. I have it. Lesson learned.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    At least call your insurance agent to find out what added premiums this will cost you. If it's a big jump, you may want to shop around for new coverage.

16. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    $90 and one demerit is pretty light, as tickets go. Is that normal for Montreal?

17. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Because there have been about 30 "I got a ticket that I deserved and don't want to pay it" threads, and we have many police officer posters here.

Basically the only thing you can do is show up, and apologize and hope they drop the point. Which I highly recommend doing because it does not show any disrespect. Waiting your turn in traffic court and seeing all the people is a great experience. Anything else is pretty much gonna get you in more trouble.

18. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If you hire someone to take care of it for you there is next to no time and effort involved but whatever, do what you want.

19. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

You should at least go to court. Sometimes they have classes you can take that will take the infraction off your record. Given your otherwise spotless record, I'd advise it.

20. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

I called my insurance rep and she laughed. She said in ten years she's never once had a client call her to ask about a speeding ticket. I've got a three strikes policy or something. This won't do a thing to my record. Regardless, yeah, I would have paid the ticket and will do so.