Customs: My First Scratch-Build TF? What?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hi there everybody! I've been really admiring the work you radicon's have been doing. Especially those of you who tackle the amazing heavy scratch-built Masterpieces!
    So, with all the time I've got, I'm seriously considering diving straight into it. But, I don't want to go over my head as well.
    So any suggestions as to an easy character to do? I'm thinking of making BumbleBee out of a 1/25 scale Volkswagen Beetle model kit. However, I have no clue what to do with it.
    I'm also thinking of doing either Rumble or Frenzy if I can still find a regular-sized cassette tape.
    Also, what materials do you use to build it with? I see a lot of styrene work, but what thickness is best? Tubes, sheets, metal, plastic, wood, what?

Suggestions, tips, ideas, thoughts?

2. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
  3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Ditto. I'd also recommend starting out small (repaints & minor mods) before taking on more involved projects.

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I'd recomend doing the tapes before BB. You'll learn about joints, layering styrene, and simple construction techniques on a project that is small, simple, and boxy. then move onto trying to cram all those boxes into a curved shape. :thumb 

And as always, check the tutorial section here to get you started.

Randy!

5. Tigertrack

Thank you, will do. I think the cassette will be a simple first as well. Need to get a hold of an actual full-sized cassette and go from there.
    Any suggestions as to what heads I can use for this project? Or can somebody help me make one?

6. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

I have a bag of old casettes in my basement. If you pay the shipping I'll send you a bunch.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Walgreens sells Microcassettes if you want to be accurate, though it will be a smaller and tighter build.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd suggest using some of the follow-alongs that have been resourced in Tutorials for your first few :) 

9. Bigbot3030

i got the impression that he was wanting to do full size (regular) cassetes. otherwise you'd just articulate the originals.

As for heads....hmmm.....thats a good one. i'd maybe start looking at a scout class figure, but that may not be the right size as well.

Actually, i'd recomend drawing this out flat first. start with the way the originals transformed, and draw it out bigger (once you have the tape you want to use)on some graph paper. then you can start to see what size of head and limbs you'll need. Contray to how some people work, you need to have a good idea on how this works mechanically, so drawing it out is only going to help you on your first try.

R!

10. Tigertrack

That's why I was thinking my first venture will be a simple cassette. Won't be totally simple, but should be simple for a first. I'd need a head that closely resembles Rumble. And yes, I was thinking full size cassette as that would be more Masterpiece size I think.

11. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Making bigger versions of Frenzy and Rumble sounds like a very cool project. I've always thought that it might be fun to try and make some cassette bots out of real tapes. I'm definitely looking forward to see how it turns out. Just so you know, I think that those KO oversized Soundwaves that people use to make MP Soundwaves come with an oversized Ravage and Lazerbeak too so Rumble and Frenzy could have some ready-made friends. I don't know if they are oversized enough to be the same size as regular cassettes now though, but it still might be worth the buy to see cause then you'd have the oversized Soundwave to make your own MP Soundwave with. (Plus it's pretty cheap too I think.) Good luck on all your projects!

12. Tigertrack

I'll be getting some building material today and start scratch-building basic stuff. Might just start making some weapons for the Alternators and WST's.

13. Bigbot3030

The Oversized KO tapes you see are bigger, but not quite "real" sized. On the plus side, all the oversized KO tapes you may have seen seem to be the same size. There's anouther ravage out there that isn't in the right colors like the one that comes with the Soundwave, but it's fully jointed like the original.

tigertrack, while this won't be easy, it won't be neccesarily hard either. once you have a drawing of the parts and how they fold up into each other, you're basically done as far as design. it being flat is a good thing. And you don't neccesarily need to prototype in styrene. I've used paper and "mat board" before to mock things up. it's usually cheaper than working in styrene.

Randy!

EDIT: and if you're going to start with weapons, do Alts first. WST will take some time and skill to make it look right. You want to build up your techniques to where you feel confident in what you are doing. While jumping into the deepend can be succesful (janeails22x's Supreme devastator), you won't be as frustrated trying to get up to speed.

14. Tigertrack

Thanks guy's. The Alternators are poorly un-armed, most of them come with tiny little pea-shooters and desperately need some heavy artillery.
    I've got a few sheets in various thickness, some tubing, some square tubing, and rectangular tubing, I've got this stuff called Milli-Put which is a two-part putty for shaping.
    I'm going to get a hold of a G1 cassette Rumble and a full-sized cassette. I might even look into one of the oversized cassettes and maybe use hinges from them.

15. Tigertrack

Okay, here's the materials I've got to work with. I'm contemplating on using this model kit to re-shell one of my Alternators into one of the Lambo brothers or cousins.

[​IMG]

Some of my tools

[​IMG]

And a stock of styrene in the following sizes and dimensions

0.4mm Sheets
    2.0mm Sheets
    1.0mm Sheets
    .281dia Tube
    .093dia Tube
    6.3x9.5mm Rectangular-Tube
    6.3 Square-Tube

[​IMG]

I also have a large stock of various diameters of aluminum tubing. I should've picked up some styrene rods as well, but didn't think of it at the time.

16. Tigertrack

Making weapons. Okay, so I decided for my first scratch-built project, I'm going to work on weapons for my Alternators. Do I go with G1 look, or do I invent my own? My thinking is I invent my own. Consider this, the Alternators really don't have much of a G1 look, other than perhaps their heads. So, why would they need to have G1-like weapons? The weapons should suit the robots over-all appearance.

Now, where do I begin?

17. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

The g1 look for weapons is, in my opinion, a strangely difficult thing to pull off with styrene because of one of their most prominent features: conical tips. The rest of it is easy enough, but I still have no idea how to pull off the conical tip.

As far as heads for you Frenzy and Rumble, I think the RTS Legend sized Trailblazer would be a good choice

18. Bigbot3030

Depending on size, those lego pieces are pretty awesome. Like this...BrickLink Reference Catalog - Part 4589

I keep an eye out for found objects alot, it's awesome when you can find somethign to work.

Randy!

19. Tigertrack

I was also thinking of using the tips of some pens. I think the Zebra-brand pens have a tip that you can unscrew and is a nice shiny piece. I'd first need to find the pens that have such tips, and then I'd have to find the right size diameter tubing that it'll fit into.

So far, the tubing I have will either be too big, or too small. I like the lego idea as they came in different colors, but I think the pen will look better being of shiny metal.

20. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

Styrene rod + pencil sharpener? I don't know, either.

Though I know air hoses tend to have interesting things on the ends of them, and the quick connectors make awesome little missile launchers (going into my Ultra Magnus upgrade)....

Attached Files: