Minor/Repaint: My First Repaint - G1 Style Voyager Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Rogzilla, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So here it is, my first attempt at repainting a figure. I have been wanting to do it for a while. I am pretty happy with my attempt, though I need a little better brush control before I move on to my leader.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually plan on adding flames to him later on, but right now he is very much a G1 style Prime.

I would love some feedback. I know it probably isn't the best first attempt but I think some of my drybrushing is OK, especially in the weathering. I need to figure out how to do the washes Jin talks about in his tutorial better. I tried to do it on the door details but it didn't work, so I just did it with a small brush.

PS-I hope I did this right. Attach the files then link the photos to the attachments and not off site.

Attached Files:

2. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

so it's like the first strike optimus figure but with weathering?

3. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Actually, it started as a FS Prime, but now actually red instead of orange, and a lot more use of blue so the legs are actually blue instead of mostely "red" like on First Strike. It will eventually be a movie style prime but it is amazing that, with just the loss of the flames, he becomes G1 style.

I repainted the whole thing, even the head. That was fun!

4. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Not to bump my own thread but I would really love some feedback. Though I am happy with this as my first attempt, I want to get better before I start tackling my mainline characters (ie-repainting ROTF Ironhide and Leader Class Prime). What did I do well? What needs to be worked on?

Thank you in advance.

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I like it. If I ever paint a movie voyager Prime in G1 colors, THIS is how I would have done it too. What about the white line in truck mode? Are you going to add that?

6. Solrac333

Ebay:
    OH! One more thing. Shouldn't the cab section be red? It's going to be red in robot mode. The back part is fine because those will be the legs.

7. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments. I am still debating on eventually adding flames, in which case a blue base for the cab will be needed (and also hence no white stripe).

That being said, I also kind of like these bolder colors, in which case the cab will then be redone in red to match robot mode. Though, with all the cheating done by this toy (and movie transformations in general) it may not matter TOO much. ;-)

8. Solrac333

Ebay:

I say no flames but that's just me. As for the cheating, I didn't even notice the blue cab in truck mode so you're right. It may not matter. I'm kind of like that with my customs.

9. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Yeah. I am still trying to decide just what I am doing with my customs, hence this experiment with my voyager Prime. I love some of these insanely movie accurate looking figures that like Jin and Encline (or is it ecline? >_< sorry, I can't remember) and frenzy_rumble do are amazing and I would love to do work like them. At the same time, it is tempting to do something completely different and branch out and maybe do things to pay tribute to the original incarnations.

10. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I like what you've done with him, and echo the "First Strike Prime"comments... FS Prime was a nearly entire red semi cab & sleeper w/ a blue rear. However, to get the blue legs on Prime's robot mode, they put a blue stripe along the top of the sleeper.

I think it'd be 'better' if you painted the cab of the semi red to match nose of the rig, and kept the sleeper blue (for the blue legs). I don't know if it'd be better to make it a clean 'cut' (semi red, sleeper blue), or if you'd like to put some sort of 'flourish' to it, where the change in color is more of a design element; as opposed to it looking like they'd replaced the sleeper from a blue semi onto a red one, ya know?

- Oh, And for that extra G1 touch, don't forget the silver stripe (like they did with the FS Prime).

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i like it

12. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Ooooooo, now there is an idea. Now that I think about it, that is exactly what the movie Prime had, wasn't it? A flourish of flames!

So, if I do something aside from flames...what would work for Prime? Maybe split put the Autobot symbol? No, that seems too artificial. Hmmmm.

You see, I was planning to do flames to this guy eventually...but now you have me thinking of ways to make him much more my own custom and less of a repaint!

13. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Danke!

Indeed, thank you everyone for your comments.

So I raise this question to you. Quality? Does the paint look smooth? Is there any glaring technical issue that stands out and needs attention? Should I try to break out of my box and attempt further and more complex customs or should I keep trying and practicing these basics first?

14. hyperdrive89

hyperdrive89 Autobot Seeker

Flames on Prime ? Dude i don't want to be stereotypic or rude , but it will ruin all the good stuff you have done by now ...

15. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Haha, no worries, not rude. I do want to find some sort of transition from the red to the blue. The flames are an obvious choice though. I am thinking of doing something with the Language of the Primes, though I am not certain yet.

16. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the split autobot symbol. Look a F_R's ultra magnus that he did with the silver symbol on the legs.....it looks really good

17. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    But F_R's Ultramagnus was a Leader Class figure, and the giant Autobot insignia on the hood wound up on the shins of the robot mode... If you put that in the same place on the Voyager mold, it'd just be upside-down on his back... Although, it might look pretty good on the top of the sleeper... That'd turn out right-side-up in robot mode (again, on the legs though). It'd break up the solid color on the nose of the semi, but I think Rogzilla is going for a G1-inspired repaint here, no?

But either way, it might be an idea for him to keep in mind for his Leader figure, but that doesn't really help much in regards to the red/blue paint transition here on the Voyager figure... Have you had any revelations as to how you're going to pull it off Rogzilla?

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks pretty good, for the transition you could also do some kind of tribal design too

19. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Well, my ORIGINAL idea was to take my First Strick Prime and turn him into a more movie accurate Prime. It then evolved into a "hey, that is pretty much G1 if you don't add the flames" but after all the great suggestions, I want to push it into something new.

So, in short, I am very open to making this my own Prime, something that will look good fighting against my ROTF Voyager Megatron (who I will repaint to be silver).

No big revelations yet. Prime glyphs are an idea. Or using the Matrix of Leadership design (Curved blade with breaks swooping in opposite directions). Or perhaps verticle bars of decreasing thickness. Pretty much, I am thinking a post ROTF Prime who has accepted his place as a "Prime" and his responsibilities to the Matrix.

20. SktchRtst

SktchRtst Active Member

I'd say it's a bit more than an attempt...you did very well. I like your weathering and drybrushing