My first reaction to Leader-class Movie Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rev_Pee_Kitty, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Rev_Pee_Kitty

Rev_Pee_Kitty Order Malkavian-Dobbsian

After walking into my local Wal-Mart tonight, I had my first face-to-face encounter with the new Leader-class movie Megatron toy. They had just put it on the shelf, so I picked it up. My wife walks over, and this is exactly how the conversation went:

ME: "I just found the new Megatron -- y'know, from the movie."

HER: "Oh, they didn't have that last time. First impressions?"

ME: "It looks like someone ate a couple of robots and then threw up in this box."

Set it down and walked away. Just . . . wow. Ugly, ugly toy. How is it possible to fail at both the robot mode AND the alt mode? I mean, even Minicon Nightbeat made a passable motorcycle.

2. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Wow, "true story".....

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    this is mine:

*walks into store*

*sees leader megs from corner of eye, does a double take*

HOLY SHIT ITS LEADER MEGATRON BGAW

*pays*

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My reaction wasn't quite as harsh as yours, but I left him behind to. The aesthetics problems, IMO of course, was his short legs in comparison to his arms, the jumble of metal look, paint ap oddities (would have looked so much better if it was darker), and the biggest aesthetic problem to me was the automorph tab in the center of his chest. Now, this worked for leader Prime because it still matched his chest and didn't flatten his chest out too much, but this actually makes the jumble of metal look megs has even worse and his chest look way to flat and ordinary. I know a lot of people like it and more power to them but I actually think the Voyager looks better, ice and all. Oh, I really don't hate the overall design of movie megs though, especially his face in the actualy movie form.

5. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

left him behind at wal mart too..................... and i never leave a man behind! well maybe a cybertron demolisher or 12............... but a megs? thats rare for me.......

looked like it would be too much work to make it look good. And what the hell are the pink things? flames ? spikes?

6. theone74

theone74 Banned

I bet you couldnt wait to get home and come on here to try and be funny. This was really pointless.

7. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

well it's a forum and he's allowed to do that.
    But I doubt that was what really happened...
    I hate it too though...infact there's no movie design I would own except for Leader Prime really... if they changed Bumblebee's face, then maybe him too.

8. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

and you couldnt wait to get home and point out his eagerness to express opinion?

hypocrisy anyone?

9. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

I was at WM last week with my GF and saw Megatron for the first time as well. I've been used to the design for a while, but my GF said "I like the old one better" (she's the one that got me my MP05). God I love her.

Since he's a Megatron I really wanted him, but don't really have the room for him and can't justify spending money on something I can't display. I'm gonna hold out for the Voyager release.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You don't know what you're missing.

Best, movie fig, ever. (next to Prime of coarse)

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I saw Leader MEGATRON through the box transparency and thought "that looks pretty neat".
    The I opened it, took him out, played with him a bit and then thought "Oh my goodness this is an EXCELLENT toy!".

Funny ol' world!

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Yeah, right.

13. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

:lolol  I have to agree with your comments...and this is one of the funnier reactions to him I've read. Knowing Hasbro was involved from Day 1 with the design process, I'm just at a loss to believe they thought this look was a good idea.

I've passed him up a few times already also. He looks cool on his own, just not as a Transformer, definately not as Megatron. Way too organic. He at least has humanoid proportions, so he doesn't suck quite as much as Apeface-I mean Starscream.

I'd rather avoid movie mania & skip him now, possibly grab him on clearance, or wait for Takara or Hasbro to make a nicer, metallized repaint later. You know its gonna happen. That unpainted grey plastic isn't doing him any favors.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Dream on.

15. Ice_T

Ice_T Well-Known Member

Yeah, I watched the youtube review of him to get a closer look and I am not sure I can justify spending much cash on a transformer I'm not crazy about. I wish he transformed into a recognizable vehicle. When I was at Walmart with my two girlfriends and my fiance' looking at the display, my wife came over and noticed that there was one Megatron left. I thought about it but decided to pass for now. Picked up Blackout though, he's cool. I like helicopters.

16. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

lmao....sounds like a Three's Company episode...hell FOURS Company.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'm not a fan of the leader Megatron toy either. Awfully ugly toy based on an awfully ugly design.

18. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I have to agree with everyone that is Pro-Movie Megatron.

Its one thing to be a Transformers fan, and tell everyone that you don't like a certain figure. Its another when you can sit down, and respect something for what it is.

Megatron is a toy designed for kids. It's a toy that was designed to represent the most evil Transformer from the movie-universe, and as such, I think it fits the bill.

Is he the Megatron that we all know and love? Nope.

But if you knew nothing about the movie, and nothing about Transformers, and you took a look at the Movie Megatron toy...you would think bad guy. You wouldn't just think bad guy. You would think of the big bad guy.

Every toy has its flaw, but one thing I can say about Megatron is that he's fun, and kids that purchase him are gonna have fun with him. He has a presence to him. He's big, bulky, he's got cybertronian guns on one arm, a hand that shoots and somewhat retracts on the other. He's got auto-morph gimmicks that work flawlessly, and actually make sense. He's got lights, and he's got sounds...and by god that isone incredible alien scream that he's got. And as a cybertronian jet, looks like he can give Starscream a good run for his money.

So as far as the toy looking like puke...I really don't see that. I see a villian that is going to be giving children nightmares. I see evil. I see powerful, and I see a toy that can give Prime an ass-whooping!

19. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    To each their own. I personally love my Leader Megs, hot pink wings and all. After all, he just wants a hug. :D 

My only beefs with him are that mine won't stand without being hunched over and his feet don't stay parallel with the wings in alt mode, but I guess that's just the price you pay for the Automorph he's got.

20. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I like this story better.