Minor/Repaint: My First "Kitbash" (UPDATED w/ Pics of New Mods)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by j.a.f.o., May 7, 2008.

1. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Well, I've managed accomplish something quite difficult: Make Jumpstarter Twin Twist even lamer.

After removing all of his stickers, I gutted his "complicated" internals, replaced his worn-out pullback motor with one from a newer Choro Q (aka Penny Racer). But most significantly, I purposely nixed the mechanism that gives a Jumpstarter its gimmick of all gimmicks. Now here's where the "lamer" claim comes into play: You have to MANUALLY transform him between his robot and drill tank mode, which is made possible via another product that arguably took off in the 80s...velcro. I believe this now makes my Twin Twist the first G1 figure in need of a body wax.

To explain why I even bothered with such a worthless project, I simply figured my 3-year-old boy would get a kick out of an overly simplified Transformer that now hauls ass all the way across the floor, and transforming it is as simple as 1, 2...uh well, I guess just 1.

Again, sorry for subjecting you all to such lameness.

UPDATE

Today I went out and purchased some super magnets, bored holes in Twin Twist's chest and leg, and through trial and error (read: more error) now he no longer needs to feel self conscious about "body fuzz."

I'm quite pleased with the result and hopefully my little boy will be too.

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

LOL!

That's hilarious... you just made Twin Twist MORE macho! :) 

It does seem like a ridiculous project, but it does actually make sense. A jumpstarter with velcro instead of the springloaded gimmick DOES make a good toy for a 3-year-old. I'll be the kid will love it.

Nice idea.

zmog

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That's a really interesting idea, and yeah, great for a little kid.

If you wanted to put in a little extra work, you could probably replace the Velcro with little pegs and holes, which would do the same job with less fuzz, but hey, if the Velcro works, then go with it.

How about trimming out the joining bar in the feet as well? That'll allow him to move his legs independently, giving him more articulation than most of his G1 compatriots..! :D 

4. j.a.f.o.

Hey that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to brainstorm exactly how to engineer that (unless an experienced 'basher can walk me through it).

5. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

Hey I like the chest hair LOL... But seriously you adapted a toy for the 3 year old with a haul ass motor all in all pure win great job

6. roadblaster

roadblaster Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Personally I think the Jumpsarters are Ideal Bashing fodder, you see loads of them on Ebay for just a couple of pounds, and who cares if they don't 'flip'??
    I've often thought about getting hold of a load of them and bashing them into new characters- Now I've seen how clean they can be made to look, I might just go for it, cheers!!!

Tailfin- Attack jet with jetfiresque booster pack from the legs
    Teneighty- Skimobile tank thing made from a Twintwist with skis instead of drills
    Thumbscrews- another Twintwist, but with claws instead of drills
    Touchdown- APC. basically Topspin but with the wings replaced with 6 chunky wheels
    Transwarp- spaceshuttle (just for the others to ride around in I suppose!!)
    Tremortracks- Good old Twintwist again but with two mortars instead of drills
    Tripwire- Twintwist again, but this time with sawblades!!
    Tumbleturn- Submarine-kind of scraping the barrel here, I admit
    Turnpike- Dragster, made to look as much like the clone Fastlane as possible, I think it could be done....will need to supe up th internals though!!
    Twinspin- Topspin, but with thrustlike rotor blades on each arm
    Typhoon- Katamaran, came up with the name before the Alt mode, and was missing a boat one. that's all there is to say on this one.

As I was typing this out, I've decided that I'm definately going to have a go at them, thanks for reinspiring me, and hope your kid likes his new toy!!!!

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

My first thought is styrene tube, which would make for ready-made pegs. Drill out a couple of holes in the chest (or legs, depending on where you wanted the pegs, and where the holes) take a small file and carefully enlarge the holes until you can fit a short piece of tubing into it. This could be glued in place, but before you do that you'd need to check the alignment and make another hole in the other part, that the tube plugs into in vehicle mode.

Probably harder to explain than do, to be honest.

By the way, Roadblaster, you might be interested to checck this out... ;) 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't believe you're being so hard on yourself, man. Chin-up. I think its cool what you've done.

9. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

I gotta say that an idea this simple is amazing for a toddler toy. I have 2 of my own little ones and can really appreciate something that could serve as a gateway to get them into the stuff I loved as a kid.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

All you need to remove that is a tiny screwdriver. Once the screws are out that entire bar can be pulled off and put back on, staying in place even without the screws anymore.

As for the mod...it freaking rocks. He's the first TF ever who needs to shave his legs :lol 

11. j.a.f.o.

What about substituting velcro with magnets? Anybody know if hobby shops would sell magnets that are either small enough or ones that I would be able to cut to fit; not to mention strong enough to hold together (resist the tension of the springs in the legs)?

12. Dilborg

Dilborg Well-Known Member

Lame? Nuh uh! Like the others have said I think it's great you've taken this toy and made it more fun for a 3 year old.

I got my 2 year old nephew a Recon Barricade Cyber Slammer the other week. Took him about 5 mins of watching me slam him down to work out how to do it himself.

I also got hold of a junker Alternator Optimus Prime and gave it to him, little bugger was trying to work out how to transform him!

So I think this is a great idea and a wonderful first transformer for a kid. Well done! :thumb 

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Excellent thought. Yeah, you could easily get hold of some small rare earth magnets or something (even little 5mm dia ones would be easily powerful enough to hold the legs in place), and it'd be alot easier to drill through and glue them in than it would be to pull off what I suggested (you wouldn't have to be quite so accurate with the alignment, for a start)...

14. j.a.f.o.

(edit: moved updates to first post)

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Now that's sweet! How about doing the same to the other side and removing the bar between the feet?

If you were inclined to do so, you could probably also paint the magnets to match the rest of the fig, so they don't stand out so much...

16. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    The magnet idea is pretty nice. I actually like the way it looks unpainted. What's the G stand for on his waist

17. Whelpd

Whelpd Well-Known Member

For some strange reason I have always like that modle so what I think your donign is pretty cool

18. j.a.f.o.

Thanks for the suggestion on super magnets. I think I'll leave the figure as is (no need to make it any more elaborate/fancy for my 3-year-old).

The "G" is for the first letter of my son's first name. Plus, my boy's nickname is the "G-stroyer", which given Twin Twist's destructive nature is also appropriate.

19. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I think he's cool. Good job!