My first G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyber-Kun, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

On the extras of the 2 disc ROTF DVD, there's a gallery which features a pic of G1 Prime and Megatron toys but Prime has a different head. Anyone know what this is?

BTW, you know what's a great toy to compliment G1 Prime? His second in command and the most trusted of his advisors, G1 Prowl. Prowl got me back into collecting 7 years ago. It's a fantastic toy, despite the immoveable legs. I've got him beside me as I type this.

Try and pick up a reissue Megatron if you can. For years, any pics I saw put me off as his arms seemed too short but when I finally did buy him, I fell in love with that toy. There's just an air of menace off it that no other toy can convey. It just has presence and the arms are longer than I thought and that sword is just cool. Just a shame I hadn't discovered Ebay when I bought him as I see him going considerably cheaper than what I paid for him. Believe me, felt guilty about that for a while.

An unexpected surprise for me was Encore Ratchet and Ironhide. Had Ratchet as a kid the no head issue did take away from the toy. However last year, I bought those custom heads on Ebay for Ratchet and Ironhide. That head just transformed Ratchet and after 2 decades I finally bought Ironhide. I cannot put Ironhide down. Why Hasbro never done this is beyond me. The heads are still quite common on Ebay, often sold with the Encore vans and not badly priced. The heads capture the essence of the cartoon models perfectly and those toys have very nicely poseable arms. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Finally, World's Smallest Starscream has a nicely painted face complimented by the traditional red eyes. To me, it's a shame that the G1 and reissues of the various seekers didn't have the same treatment as the all black, unpainted faces just seem bland and lifeless. The WSTF versions really come alive with these simple additions. All WS Thrust has is 2 red dots for eyes and they make all the difference, at least to me.

I just wish Hasbro would consider the Diaclone fans because the modern cars all look annoyingly big alongside the reissues. More Scouts would be appreciated.

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I believe the G1 prime with a different head is the iPod convoy, that's the only one I know that has a different head to it.

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the life of me, I can't remember the very first G1 I bought all those years ago.

I have been sitting trying to remember, but I just can't.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Congrats! Planning to get a 25th Anniversary OP soon... :) 

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Congrats on getting your first G1! That's a heck of a bot to start with too, G1 Prime is legendary.

6. cartertime

cartertime Well-Known Member

Kind of off topic, but we saw Encore Bruiticus with major mold wear over the years from overuse of the molds. Hasnt G1 Prime been issued just as many times over and over. Why hasnt his mold disintegrated over the years? Or has it?

7. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I'm glad you had such a great experience with your first G1 toy. Optimus is definitely a great example of a good G1 figure. Sure, G1 figures are blocky, have minimal articulation for the most part and can be fragile, but there's a certain level of attraction within its simplicity. Its a perfect marriage of chrome, plastic, rubber and metal.

8. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I started out collecting G1 toys, but have tried to move away from them since my son was born because they're so expensive. However, for all their simplicity compared to today's figures they're still so much fun to fiddle around with! G1 Prime is one of my all time favs!

9. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

CK:

Congratulations! I like the G1 Prime mold, too, and the trailer is also pretty cool. If you have Lego blocks, you can build a backpack to plug into the open cab-wall, in robot mode. I got this idea from Polenicus (of TFW).

You can also make Prime's head turn really easily. Unscrew it, remove the small peg under his chin, screw it back on.

ct: Probably has. It's probably just been redone several times, since it's Optimus Prime. :D  Actually, if you look at the 25OP's front wheels, you can see that he's really Magnus in disguise. Got the peg-hubs. You never know when you might need to borrow your brother's snazzy suit for a date or something...

10. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    is that why the pegs are so long? I couldn't figure out why they were like that...

11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

Congrats!

12. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Its due to the fact that Prime was first reissued by Takara back in 2000 during the 15th anniversary and Magnus came out shortly thereafter. Just made it easier to make one mould and use it for both.