My first G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyber-Kun, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    So, my introduction to Transformers was through Beast Wars, so I've never had a G1 toy.
    For Christmas, my sister got me the 25th ann. Optimus Prime. It was my first G1 Optimus, as well as my first G1 toy ever.
    Now, I've always been a fan of g1. The comics, the show, the movie, I just didn't have the toys, and didn't want to pay a lot of money for what I thought was "meh".
    Well, let me tell you. Sure, Optimus isn't as complicated as later toys, or as articulate. But man, he's fun. There's a lot of joy of how damn simple he is. I've been fiddling with him all day and love 'im.

Long live G1!

2. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Congrats you now own the holy grail of Transformers.

3. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    I got my first G1 Optimus today too! I always had G1 toys but never optimus for some reason. My girlfriend got me the encore edition from takara...I'm in love <3

4. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congrats guy! G1 Optimus was my first Transformer I got him way back in 84. He was my fav toy till I stopped playing with toys, and started play with girls, and now that Ive started collecting again Id love to find him. Anyway I hope you guys love him as much as I did he really is the gold standard for G1 Toys!

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Congratulations. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

6. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    Grats you guys! G1 Prime is a toy that, while not perfect, really stands the test of time. A great addition to anyone's collection.

7. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

I got the 20th anniversay one (no comic, dvd, and voice box thingy) and I cannot bring myself to open it...but I have a G2 and Powermaster and I must say, they were alot more fun to play with than any complex ROTF.
    Congrats!

8. Thelbert

Thelbert Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to the G1 club!

I grew up on G1 and the 25th Prime us just awesome. Let us know if you dive further into G1. Perceptor and the Insecticons are out at Toys R Us and are pretty neat!

Enjoy Optimus!

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I'm really tempted now, I'm thinking of getting the SDCC Soundwave and tracking down the cassette bots. I just hope this isn't the start of an addiction

10. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

OH yes he has. I didn't get my first Optimus untill 03'. Before then, I never had him as a kid but really happy now that I have one.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same thing happened with me, i now have all the cassettes except the japanese dinos,

12. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Well-Known Member

Long live G1! Well said. Congrats and welcome aboard.

(My first G1=minibot Gears!!!)

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    As a collector, I just love the newer toys, especially classics. But as a kid, I would have hated them. Part of what made Transformers so fun was the playability. Easy transformation make for fast transformations which makes for better floor wars. Sure, the complex transformations of the newer toys appeals more to me now as I enjoy the puzzle like challenge of doing it. But if I wanted to have a floor war, I doubt I'd play with them for more than 15 minutes.

That's the reason I prefer G1. Not that I have floor wars, but the nostalgia of how much I loved doing it as a kid is there when I fiddle around with the old toys. None of the newer toys capture that. The ones they do make simple, feel like baby toys. Give us the high detail AND simple transformations Hasbro... That's what the kids will like.

14. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    with your girlfriend or the toy? :lolol 

15. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

G1 Prime was also my first Transformer way back in 1984. Congratulations, as you now know the joy I felt then and still feel 25 years later.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Congrats on getting to experience the G1 Optimus Prime mold! :thumb 

17. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

As a child, G1 Prime was a grail for me. I got to play with him a few times, but then he always went back to the toy box of someone else. (Ultra Magnus, for the purposes of this thread, does not count, even though I did try painting mine red and blue when I was nine.)

As an adult, I still have a great fondness for him. I still haven't bought one all minty and new, though. I picked up a beat-up one at Botcon for a few bucks, mainly because I imagine that's how he would look now if I'd had one from the beginning, but also because that's the only condition in which I ever played with him.

Glad you're enjoying yours.

18. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Truth. You can never have enough G1.

19. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    prime was also my first TF toy when i was about 5 or 6 and i still have him, i restored and reprolabelled the rest of my G1 collection apart from prime, hes kept how he always was with misplaced stickers and a couple of missing parts - a constant reminder from my childhood! i have a MIB takara collection prime for display!

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I happen to think that G1 Optimus has a certain timeless appeal. Even with limited posability and plug-in fists, he looks fantastic. As good or better than most of what's out today, or at any other time.

But going beyond that the toy appeals on a tactile level that you only appreciate when you handle it in person. Simple transformations aren't always fun. But this is an elegant transformation; elemental in its simplicity. Beautiful joints, die-cast in all the right places. It all comes together. Not everything in G1 is this good.

I'd also recommend Jazz, Grimlock, and Bumblebee. Not because they're central characters, they're just great toys that appeal on every level.