My first foray into G1: Transformers The Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MetaRidleyX, Nov 15, 2008.

1. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

(If your one those people that love G1 you're probably going to hate what I have to say especially about Starscream)

Now I don't know much about G1 as I began my TF loving days with Beast Wars and RID and just started really collecting the toys with animated. The only thing I really knew about G1 was that Megatron was an idiot and that toys of G1 were very bad. Since G1 is where it all began I thought I might as well watch something that was G1 so I went with the movie. Which is manily because my friend who isn't even that big a fan of transformers said it was awesome and he was right...it was awesome. So here's just some thoughts about the movie and by that logic G1 as well.

-Starscream's voice is incredibly annoying. There I said it. Tom Kenny does a much better job then Chris Latta
    -The soundtrack is AWESOME!
    -This movie reaffirms by suspicions that Soundwave one of the best Transformers ever.
    -Not that I didn't enjoy it but I will never understand why there was a random dance party.
    -On that note Wreck-Gar was awesome.
    -Why was the transformation from Hot Rod to Hot Rodimus just Hot Rod getting taller?
    -God, I wish Orson Wells didn't die so soon.
    -Swoop shouldn't talk! His voice is just god awful.
    -This movie really wants makes me want to buy Devastator.

So yeah...comment/rage/whatever. Just a new fan's thoughts on an important piece of fandom.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nothing worth any rage, to me, IMHO of course, you're just trying to use today's standards to rate something from twenty plus years ago. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

3. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Starscream's voice really grows on you.
    I used to hate it, but now I love, it trumps Frank Welker's Megatron any day...god that voice was awful...

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Some like it, some don't. T'is the world.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Fixed.

6. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron voice was pretty awesome if I do say so myself and Frank Welker's Megatron voice was very, very good though I have never heard Frank Welker's Galvatron voice so I can't comment on that but it can't be that bad right?

>_>....right?

7. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Yea, Frank Welkers voice for Galatron was pretty weak imo. Starscreams voice does infact grow on you. It fits his personality quite well. As far as the toys are concerned, they are awesome, for 25 years ago. They would never measure up by todays standards, but for what they are and when they were, they are great.

8. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Wow. Am I the only one who hated Nimoy's Galvatron? It was just Nimoy, he didn't put anything into the part. Welker's Galvatron captured the character far better. I didn't even realise Megatron and Galvatron had the same voice actor intially, because Galvatron's voice was so far removed from what I believe to be the worst voice in G1.

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    This is your opinion, so I won't attack it, but I will provide my own opinions on what you've commented on.

-Starscream's voice IS annoying, but it also makes him unique. He's a whining, "screaming", annoyance to Megatron, yet he has the chops to come up with some decent plans on occasion. So Megs lets him hang. As for Tom Kenny's voicework being better.........I have to respectfully disagree. I do enjoy his work on Animated, but his style is basically copying that of Chris Latta and for that, I applaud him. I grew up with G1, so I may be a bit biased--but Chris Latta IS Starscream.

-The Transformers: The Movie (animated) soundtrack is definitely great. You literally can't think of the movie without hearing the music......and the same goes for for the music. The moment you hear it, "Transformers" pops into your head.

-Soundwave will always be one of my favorites as well, but after the movie, he didn't see as much action as he should have. And don't get me started on the whole Headmasters stuff with him.

-Weird Al.....dance party.....'nuff said.

-Wreck-Gar was cool, his toy however, was not.

-Hot Rod's transformation into Rodimus Prime didn't just make him taller (even though it appears that way). It basically upgraded his original form from a Cybertronian car into a futuristic semi of some sort.

-Orson Wells did a great job as the voice of Unicron, but I doubt he would've been used again, even if he had lived. It was already hard for him to do the voicework, with his deteriorated health.

-Swoop has a unique voice as well--it matches his "squawks" in his alt mode.

-After seeing this movie, I'm sure a lot of people wanted Devastator, if they didn't already have him. I still own the original and I plan to kitbash one in the near future.

I think you'll enjoy the G1 series and the toys, even though none of it is "perfect". I know Beast Wars is viewed as the "best" because of the writing and story, but I still hold G1 in the #1 slot.........then again, that's MY opinion.

10. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I really like Nimoy's verison in the movie and Welker's version on the show..........BUT, I didn't care for the constant high-pitched screaming that Galvatron did in Season 3. I know he was insane, but I think they could have toned it down a bit. I know Welker had already had this voice for Galvatron in use before Nimoy did his own take on it, but after seeing the movie, maybe they could have toned it down to match it a bit. Don't get me wrong, Welker did a great job and I enjoyed it, but it was annoying here and there. I also thought Nimoy's version had too deep a voice.

11. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Starscream's voice suites him (this could be I grew up with it)
    Yes the soundtrack it awesome.
    Soundwave is cool.
    Yes the party scene seems out of place.
    I could give or take Wreck Gar, don't care either way.
    Orson did a great job on this film I just wish it wasn't his last film.
    I'm used to Swoop's voice so it didn't bother me.
    I have Devastator and you should too.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i loved megatron's voice- it had range. from gravelly (as when he is about to coup Op's de grace), to high shrieks (when pleads to Unicron) and it works. Nimoy tried that but it came off as just yelling.

and it is hard to be a 21rst century lad trying to analyze 20th century product.
    no biggie to me what you liked or didn't.

13. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    i'm not fussed by the differences in Nimoy's and welker's galvertrons, because as far as i'm concerned, they are two different characters!
    In the movie he was a killing machine
    In season 3 he was a lunatick.
    I love them both because they manage to emphasize those traits about the character!

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Got no reason to hate it. You're entitled to your opinion. If fans could just agree to disagree and leave it at that, the history of TF fandom wouldn't include death threats from people who take Transformers waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too seriously.

Megatron wasn't an idiot, he was just *written* that way in the G1 TV series. He was also severely limited by government restrictions placed on children's cartoons.

Eh. Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it fact. Then again, I didn't like it at first either. But it grew on me really quickly, and Starscream became the source of many of the series most memorable and most hilarious moments.

There's a few I don't care for, but pretty much agreed with you otherwise...for an 80's pop-metal album, anyway.

Yeah, it's just sad that he had a lame and dated alt-mode.

Because the Ewoks did the same thing at the end of "Return of The Jedi". Have you not noticed the many parallels between TFTM and the original Star Wars trilogy?

He was a little annoying to me, and they used so much processing on his voice that it nearly made Eric Idle's voice indistinguishable. But I did always kinda like him, especially for the 'stache.

He hit puberty real quick-like.

He only did it for the money anyway.

Yep, but how can you not like a dinosaur that transforms into a robot? And even better--a flying one! And it was just common sense that the Dinobots would be kinda stupid considering that real-life dinosaurs mostly had a brain the size of a walnut.

The toy was a little disappointing to my brother and me. It was awesome how it all fit together, but it was very stiff and didn't stay together very well during play. And ever since Devastator, I've always hated gestalts and Leader-class figures that won't bend at the knee. It was neat to look at, but the playability factor was a little frustrating.

15. combust

combust gobotronian

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love welker he compliments cullen on every level but duuuude nimoy and stack that was golden godliness

screamers voice is an acquired taste me personally latta's delivery in the g1 fire in the sky episode was one of those dialogs that i enjoyed immensely stuck with me for like 25 years

soundtrack,soundwave,wreckgar totally agree with you

the dance sequence was hasbro condescending my generation,boooooooo

though swoop,hell all the dinobots remind me of my high school english class a bunch of r*tar ds but they where loveable to me, go figure

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I love Starscream's G1 voice. Any other voice actor playing Starscream just hasn't been able to match Latta to me. And honestly, I prefer Welker's Megatron to either his or Nimoy's Galvatron.

I do think it's funny that Hot Rod went from a cool ass Dome Zero into an RV. I was pretty bugged that they dropped the whole him & Arcee thing after the movie though.

I think the soundtrack to TF:TM is pretty terrible to be frank. Or maybe it's just Weird Al.

And on that, yeah. Dancing around after Ultra Magnus was blown up was pretty lame. Not to mention that Unicron was still on his way to Cybertron (those had to be some far ass moons for him to get from there to Cybertron in the same time that it took the Autobots to go from said moon to Earth then back in time to fight him and save the planet).

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Some of us love Chris Latta, but we also like Tom Kenny too... he's the best voice actor to play Starscream since Chris Latta.

Hot Rod's transformation to Rodimus Prime is not just him getting taller... did you notice that his alt-mode has changed too, and his personality as well?

Soundwave IS one of the best Decepticons in my book. He's my fav Decepticon from G1.

I for one LIKED Nimoy's Galvatron in the movie, but HATED Frank Welker's version of Galvatron in Season 3. I don't think Nimoy's voice was too deep... in fact, it's WICKED! Besides, I like Leonard Nimoy from his days on Star Trek, which is something my brother is into just as much as Transformers.

What's wrong with Swoop's voice? You just need to get used to how the Dinobots speak.

Yes, the soundtrack's awesome... I think I just about wore out my copy of it just listening to it day in and day out.

Orson Welles was pretty old and in poor health when he came in to do the voice of Unicron. They ended up putting his voice through a synthesizer, so it's not his voice 100%. Still, it's a shame that his voicing Unicron would be his last role.

18. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked the G1 Animated movie 1 billion times better them the 07 Movie! I still watch it. Shit still rocks..

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The Transformers: The Movie is something I think every fan should watch at least once: if only to see where we came from, and to enjoy some woefully bad-but-good music set to our favourite machines of awesome.

That said, you'll love it or you'll hate it.

20. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I think the thing that still stands out to me about the movie (and hit me right between the eyes as a kid) was the fact that people ACTUALLY DIED. For the first time in a cartoon, there was a genuine sense of risk, a horrible sense that everything might not be okay. Unlike the TV show, where getting shot didn't seem to mean much more than an "ouch that hurt" and maybe a trip to the repair bay, in the movie, getting shot meant YOU DIED!

Prowl, Ironhide, Ratchet, Brawn: DEAD in the first five minuets.
    Prime: DEAD in the first act.
    Starscream: HARDCORE DEAD halfway through act two.

I realize now that the motivation for this was just to clear the way for new toys, but at the time it made the whole thing a terrifying, gripping , awesome rollercoster ride for the young Coolhand who was watching the story unfold whilst gripping his toy Prime tight to his chest in stunned shock.

Even now, for all it's faults, deus ex machina cop-out ending and 80's cheese, I still think the movie stands out as an example of a kids war movie where PEOPLE YOU LIKE ACTUALLY DIE. And for that I salute it.