Minor/Repaint: my first customs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fabexmax, Sep 28, 2007.

1. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Today my Ironhide came from Walmart.com. So I normally have a million ideas for Kitbashes, reshells, etc, and NEVER have the time for any (or the skills) I have done one repaint, but never have posted on here. So here is my first. Its a simple head swap, but makes a HUGE difference!!!!!!!!! Give me some feedback. honestly this only took about 15 minutes... 5 of it was looking at the pieces to formulate my plan. Gimme feedback gang. I also hope i posted the pics correctly.

finally PICS!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    The links do not work:) 

3. fabexmax

News Credits:
    So thanks to Vector I have my images up! I now present Trailerbreaker, and Swindle??? I was thinking with the new head "Swindle" could be a new Con. What do you guys think?

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ironhide looks much better with that head, nice job.

5. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Was it really just a matter of swapping heads? Or was there more to it?

6. fabexmax

News Credits:
    Seriously i just swapped the heads. Now connecting them was a little more, but i really mean A LITTLE. For the Swindle head to Ironhide I just took a drill bit and used my hand to get a hole started in the "chin" portion on the bottom of the head. Once I had a tiney hole started I looked at the size of the screw that held the original irobhide head on, found one a tad bigger/longer and replaced the original screw with it (using a piece of the ever useful twist ties that came with the packaging, around the head of the screw to widen it)! Using a tiny screwdiver i attecahed the head to Ironhide and Viola! As for the left over Movie Ironhide head.. i started out trying to drill the screw connector piece out of his head, but figured that was dumb, and timely. So i just took my smallest flat head screwdriver (its a tiny screw driver kit for models, glasses, etc) and opened the head a little on the seam (where teh 2 halves connect) and the screw holder piece fell out, leaving a hole big enough for the ball joint on the Alternator to slide into, but once the 2 halves were pressed back together, small enough so its a tight fit! Literally 15 minutes!

7. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

They look much better now. Congratulations, your first customs were a success.

8. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    Think it'd be possible to put the Swindle head on Ironhide's body without the use of a drill? And did you have to take IH apart to put the Alt. head on?

I wanna do this with Reprolabels to make Trailbreaker... :thumb 

9. fabexmax

News Credits:
    Notice i said i used the drill bit.. not the drill. I literally used the drill bit between my fingers to make an indention into the plastic so the screw would be easier to screw in. Nope didn't have to take the Ironhide apart at all! Once he is in Robot mode, lift up the roof thats now on his back, and there is enough space to reach the part where the screw backing is housed!

10. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    Sweet, thanks!!

Now to find a screw the right size...

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really don't think the Swindle head fits the movie aesthetic body.

12. fabexmax

News Credits:
    The G1-ish head looks wayyyy better than the Kunimitsu face that Ironhide had in the movie and toy. But thats just my thoughts. my next plan is to do a G1-ish head on rescue Ratchet like i have seen on here. I wish his body was more articulated tho. I also have plans to take my R.I.D Prime and make hime Autobot Hotspot! I need paint color suggestions. Any ideas?

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I agree, however, movie style head on an Alternator works surprisingly well!

14. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like that head on Movie Ironhide. Makes a great Trailbreaker. Maybe order so reprolabel Alt Trailbreaker decals and I'd say you've got one great and simple custom.

Good stuff.

15. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I TOTALLY agree with this. I don't know why, but I love the movie head on the Alt. It's sweet! Now, if you'd repaint Swindle darker, he'd be perfect.