Minor/Repaint: My First Custom: ROTF Lockdown to Impactor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Farrk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

Like the title says, my first atempt at a custom.

ROTF Lockdown with random Gundam parts added in Car-mode for a back To The Future style rear end. In Robot-mode I had a bit of a re-sculpt of the head, and replaced the hook-hand with something more suitable. I cut a groove in the bottom of the engine block so it could become Impactors shoulder cannon.

The front/legs of didn't take yellow paint too well, so I attempted to fix it with an orange wash, and I like how it turned out, but your milage may vary.

Attached Files:

2. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

That is surprisingly cool. I never would have considered it, but that looks really really nice. Mounting the engine on the shoulder is a really nice touch. Probably the only thing I don't care for is the relatively scrawny-looking arm, but that's the mold's fault, not yours. :D 

Were I doing this project, I'd go a bit further with the "Mad Max"/post-apocalyptic aesthetic - some kind of metal plating (like an armored vehicle) or chicken-wire over the windows, maybe a cow-catcher type thing on the front bumper. Something like this or this.

Overall, though, this is an awesome job, especially for a first custom. Love it.

3. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

Ohhh that damn scrawny arm! I'm trying to work out a way to replace it, but maintaining the transformation properly is the important part, I'll work it out... but it might mean Animated Jazz losing an arm...

I was trying to strike a balance between a "war car" and "Muscle Car" The "pods" on the back do open to reveal mini-guns, Impactor has to make an impact after all!

4. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Seems pretty cool. Can you take some more detailed pics? It's kinda hard to see what all's going on in bot mode.

I'd also echo the idea of adding more "war car" stuff. :) 

What yellow paint did you use? Just out of curiosity.
    -G

5. Carnivac

Carnivac Survivor

That's pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the Lockdown mold but it's used well there and I'm always keen on seeing customs of classic G1 comic characters.

6. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

I'm rummaging through my bits box to see what else I can add, I like the idea of armouring up the windows, I just need to work out the best way to do it. I'll get some better pics up as soon as I can find the good camera, the one on my phone won't cut it!

I used Games Workshop Sunburst Yellow, over a Blood Red undercoat, then a mix of the two as a wash, it looks really rusted IRL.

7. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the mold either, but I saw it and thought: "He's got a hook hand... Someone should modify that into Impactor" then I thought I'f give it a shot... :dunce 

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

fanominal. I love this one. and i wish i had thought of it. the color pallette is fantastic.

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

double post. sorry

10. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh my god no you took my idea!
    great work man

11. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

You guys are really nice!

I think I've solved the gangly arm problem, I'll put some decent pictures up tomorrow once the milliput has cured and it's had a bit of a paint...

12. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

Please go ahead and do it! I'd love to see someone with actual *SKILL* at this stuff do it better!

13. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I'm rubbish with a camera, but hopefully you can see the replacement Gundam hand which I used to replace the rubbery claw that came with Lockdown. It's still a little bit spindly, but looks much better, and after a lot of filing and testing it doesn't effect the transformation at all.
    [​IMG]
    A Gundam gun completes the updated look, I like it, it's for SHOOTIN' 'CONS!
    [​IMG]
    Taking EVERYBODY'S advice I added some strips cut from a blister pack to provide some strips of armour on the windows, which ya'll were right, it looks better. The Robot mode gun clips on for driving and killing fun.
    [​IMG]
    The boys. WRECK AND RULE!:bay 

14. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Nice idea and great job.

15. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

That is really excellent. Well played.