Minor/Repaint: my first custom ROTF ironhide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dxaznxk, Aug 4, 2009.

1. dxaznxk

dxaznxk Member

My first custom:)  i tried my best on it and it didn't come out as good as anyone else, but hopefully next time ill do better. Messed up on the windshield area left it blue and the lights messed up. Tell me what you guys think i appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Paint apps look pretty clean. Could use a bit of detail but not bad for a first go around. Looks a lot better than my first custom! Look forward to seeing what else ya got.

3. dxaznxk

dxaznxk Member

thank you, i was going for more of a metal look but it didn't work out maybe next one ill get it haha i wasn't sure which paint i should use to give it a metal look

4. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I achieve the metal look by first painting a base coat of matt black. I then use a chrome silver, dip the brush in and rub it on a scrap of paper until it barely leaves any paint behind. Now brush over the matt black using a 'dusting' motion, the raised detail parts will be highlighted, leaving the black visible in the recessed parts.

To give a similar look to the red piece on his gun tip, you could paint black over it and then immediately wipe over it with a cloth, this will remove the black from the raised spots and just leave some in the recesses to bring out the detail. You could also try that method on his silver parts to give the metal look, but I think the drybrushing is a better option.

Check out the tutorials section for videos of how to do these techniques.

I believe the left arm cannon is assembled wrong, mine was the same out of the box. The long internal piece needs to be flipped around. If you look at the other end it has his big bullet thing there.

Overall, a nice first attempt, the paint apps look very clean. Keep the pics coming.

Hakka.

5. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Can’t deal with that right now

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Like the others said, nice go for a first custom. I'd give you the same advice Hakka did, it will help make it pop a bit more. Nice job!

6. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you put some more black paint on his robot mode parts he'll be perfect. Even without the black it's still much better than the out of box toy.

7. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    The painting looks pretty clean for someone's first custom, but I agree with a_person the color scheme needs a little improvement. I assume you're going for a reasonable level of movie-accuracy. If so, then you might notice that Ironhide's head, arms, and legs have panels/shards that are simply colored black. Like someone also said, the 'metallic' effect can be achieved with drybrushing. Check out the numerous tutorials we have here on Radicons and you're sure to learn a lot. :) 

Still, good work on your first custom. I hope to see more of your work here. :) 

8. dxaznxk

dxaznxk Member

thank you guys, next time im going to try drybrushing. My next custom is comming soon!:)