Minor/Repaint: my first custom repaint: Animated G2 Slag (WIP?)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by unicronsupreme, Jul 16, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    The only Dinobots I had as a kid were the G2 ones and my Slag was green, so to me the triceratops dinobot has always been green and the gray one was weird.

I had half an idea to do this a while ago but never thought I'd do it. When I was at Wal-Mart on Monday I impulse bought Animated Snarl just for this purpose. I think it looks pretty good, but it needs some touch ups here and there. Around the top of the chest it needs some more green because I painted it as pieces and then put it together so I didn't know that part would be showing.

There MAY be one picture that shows the eyes well enough to see that I removed the Blue paint covering the eyes and now the orange light piping works. I also painted the club a little bit different than my custom club for the unpainted Snarl by painting the 'trench things' red. The majority of the painting is just the green (testors green Metal Flake) but the head was also painted black (testors black) and the neck-frill-thing, the lower jaw and kneecaps were all painted silver (testors steel) to match various parts of the original G2 Slag. When I was done I sprayed everything down with some tamiya clear gloss coating to protect it.

When reassembling Slag I actually ended up with a screw leftover, so somewhere in the figure is missing a screw.

The (WIP?) is where you guys come in. This can be the finished paint scheme (once touch ups are done and I get a red Autobot symbol for the nose) or I can do some more. The ideas I had to paint/mod more include:

>>Painting the shoulder/knee pads silver or silver and blue to match the stickers on Slag

>>Removing the horns from the head and filling in the holes with putty and painting over.

>>Adding more of the silver color around the collar and top of chest in robot mode

Opinions?

I think this paint scheme looks good in general, but I also think it could be improved with some more silver so I will likely add some more of that. The flames on the arms still work, I just don't deploy them because it makes him look less like the original.

Attached Files:

2. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

I was never a fan of the G2 repaints. That said, very nice work.

3. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like that you went with a green G2 repaint for Slag err I mean Snarl... wait Yeah Slag LOL... I really like how the collar looks painted silver. Are you going to do a repaint of the Red one and the Silver one as well :) 

4. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Nice start for a beginner!

5. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    first off: Why doesn't radicons have a quote + button?

Thanks! My first retail transformers were G2 so they hold a special place in my heart.

I was actually pretty surprised that the silver didn't break and fall off since the collar is bendy but the clear coat stuff seems to be keeping it on pretty well. I don't actually own either of those colors of G2 Slag, but that said I may do them anyways after I get finished with my current repainting plans. I have 4 more in the pipeline. 3 Animated 1 movie.

Thanks! I can only go up from here!

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard :)  I like it, very nice.

because we don't use vBulletin.

7. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

don't fee;l bad i have not figured out how you did that ^^^^ well i have a good idea but anyways i like your repaint for a first one looks awsome. better than many ppls 3rd or 4th :thumb 

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Thanks, that means a lot!

I guess that makes sense although I don't know much about the BBS so vBulletin means noting in particular to me. Is the different system in place here to accommodate pictures or what?

hahaha, it wasn't difficult. I just hit quote then copied it, then hit quote on a different post, pasted the old stuff, copied all of it, hit quote on the third post and pasted the other two.

Thanks! This community is so supportive, it's a very nice place to post things. Although I think that it looks better in these pics because I was using a 1.7 megapixel webcam to take them and for over half of them it was out of focus. In person a lot of the inconsistent layering of the green is really obvious. I know I could get around a lot of that with masking and spraying, but that gets costly buying all the colors and troublesome masking correctly. Anyone have any advice on making the color more consistent?

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Still unbeknown to many, the Radicons is a minisite of TFW2005.com, not merely a subforum anymore :D  We've added a ton of cool things to the Radicons minisite here. While some of the features of TFW2005.com aren't active here (like the multiquote feature), the additions we've added FAR trump the very few features that we had to give up. Also, just stay tuned because we're wanting to add even more features to our beloved Radicons! Stay tuned!

In terms of multiquoting a thread, your method is how I do it as well. :) 

I'm VERY glad you feel this way! As Radicons, we are here to help each other grow and make friends with each other. We all spend a lot of ourselves and our lives creating the pieces we make. That being said, we want to offer constructive criticism, not just a bunch of rude opinions. There are right ways and wrong ways of communicating anything, and we're wanting to go about things the best way we can. :) 

That being said, I'd also like to say "welcome" to you as a new Radicon! I'd also like to say that you're off to a great start with this piece. While I grew up with G1, I also really like the G2 repaints. I think you went with a surprising and creative choice here by choosing "G2" Slag. I think all of your work is nice and that you've mentioned what you think you should do to improve your piece. We're our own worst critics often times, anyways :lol 

You may want to keep pushing this piece for a while, or you might want to take a rest from it>move on to a new piece>return to this guy. I've found that the latter works well for me sometimes. I've also found that just persisting to the end works well too. What's nice now is that you have options :) 

Whatever you decide to do, just keep us posted! :thumb 

10. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Stay tuned I will!

Thank you very much. I started picking up transformers again after about 8 years of break about this time last year. For a while I wanted to have a place to talk about it, but a site didn't even really occur to me until Yt user Kinglaffo (ktulu here) pointed me here. I'm glad he did, this has got to be the best online community I've ever been a part of.

In regards to Slag: He's going to be sitting on my self for a while until his incompleteness bothers me enough to go finish him. I've actually already started my next one and I'm just waiting for it to dry so I can put it back together and take some pics to post here. It should be up later tonight!