Minor/Repaint: My first custom in 4-ish years - Classics Jackpot!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hooper_X, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Seriously, it's been at least 3-4 years since I did a TF kitbash that required any real heavy mods (I mean, I've done tons of touch-up paint and things like that), and here's the result of +- 3 weeks of labor - Jackpot!

The entire thing is Universe Prowl, painted with Krylon Fusion satin black and sunburst yellow, then topped off with Tamiya silver, Model Master black, and Games Workshop Ruby Red. The head is still Prowl's, just heavily resculpted (it's actually a little taller than it was originally, so it has some issues sitting flush in vehicle mode). I left the rocket launchers out, 'cause Jackpot doesn't have 'em, and it makes him look more different from Prowl/etc.

Most of the issues that cropped up were minor. One, I'd never worked with Fusion before, so the curing time was a real beast to deal with. The head sculpt took a while to get to where I was happy with it. it still isn't a PERFECT likeness, but it gets the point across. The biggest pain was using 70% iso to strip the clear plastic - I still wound up somehow fogging up the glass, and the right front panel piece broke off from its hinge. It holds together in vehicle mode, and is basically just sitting on the pin in robot mode.

Oh well, I'm pretty happy with how this one came out. Jackpot's a character that hasn't gotten much love (outside of one collector's club story and a "getting blown up" cameo in the IDW books), so I figured I'd take a stab at him. (my other idea was to do G2 Rapido out of this mold - I may actually try that next.)

Attached Files:

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

You did a good job. I mean like you said its a little bit rough, but you did make your point. And besides you hit the Jackpot, on this one. lol Good job, Hooper X.

3. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I´d been thinking about this, but decided not to.
    Yours however, turned out really nice. Congratulations, you got a cookie.
    Okay i ate it but still.

4. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very cool.

5. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Awesome Job. Youre right, we dont get Jack at all! I love it when people give an obscure character the spotlight!

6. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

freakin sweet!

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Nice.

8. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice work.

9. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Whoa. That is damn impressive.

I love Jackpot, especially thanks to Gone Too Far, and this custom definitely does him justice.
    He could use a red belly and some orange on his legs, though.

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

You can't see it in the pics, but he has a red belly and the same red is on his feet. I was trying to figure out how to put the orange on his legs without it being obtrusive and couldn't come up with anything (aside from painting the entire rear glass orange, which would look... odd.)

11. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I like the colors in bot mode a lot. Not really feeling the 'no headlights' look though. Good job overall :thumb 

12. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow that's a great original idea.

13. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Cool,classics Action Master figs now.

14. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I think this is the first one i've seen of yours, man. Nice job on the yellow.

15. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Like I said, it's been a dog's age since I finished something. I think the last thing I brought out to share was... man, BotCon 2002-ish. (that would be a truckload of Spychanger. won third place, I think).

16. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Well, the original Jackpot, near as anyone can tell, was a Ferrari with the flip-out retractable headlights. So they're there - they're just folded into his chest. :D 

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he looks really cool this way. When you removed his rocket launchers, how'd ya do it? You didn't just chop it off did ya?

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Oh wow, you've been reading my mind - although possibly before my mind got there. :p  I was just looking at my Action Masters a couple of days ago and wondered how well Jackpot would look as a Prowl repaint. Brilliant job, Precog-Psychic Boy!

How about some orange on the inside panels of the legs? That way you can see it from certain angles without it getting in the way in car mode.

You do know those launchers just pull out if you want, right? Takes a little wiggling, but it's not hard at all.

So have you got any ideas for revisiting Sights? :D 

19. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Well, if you do any of the other things I'm flirting with right now (Prowl into G2 Rapido, Sunstreaker into G2 High Beam or RiD Daytonus) we may have to fight. :D  I'm definitely trying to represent the under-utilized characters. Everyone's doing Jazz and Red Alert and etc. and I figure it'll only be a little while until Hasbro does one. Jackpot and guys like that, though? Not so much (well, we did get Cybertron Smokescreen, who Kyde said was meant to be a Rad homage, in Smokescreen's livery)

That might actually work. I'd have to mix up some orange, though. :D 

Yeah, it was pretty straightforward, and not as such yet - I was thinking doing something with a mini-con, but I've got other stuff on my plate. Heck, I could probably jut refit a G1 Sights with a 5mm peg, if I had a Sights to spare. Which I don't. Aheh.

20. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Ah, I see it now. Good job.
    If you're looking for places to add some orange, how about on his shins? Under the bumper/kneepads. That way you can see it in robot mode, but it doesn't intrude on the car mode.
    Regardless, I really like what you did with it. :thumbs2: 

Personally, I'm going to hold out on the chance that Hasbro might make a Universe Jazz, and make Jackpot out of that.