Minor/Repaint: My First Custom - COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dex17113, May 9, 2011.

1. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Well.....

I made some mistakes...learned a lot...and managed to put together a nice little Cliffjumper that looks WAY better than the KO toy did! I'm really happy with how this came together.

Here's the lowdown on what I did:

1. Took the figure apart as best I could given my lack of experience. Sanded off some stuff that had been put on the KO that shouldn't have been there.

2. Taped off and used spray paint (my first time ever doing that) to put down the red paint. Obviously, not the best paint job, but I'm satisfied given that it was my first effort. The doors turned out way better than the body because I had received some advice by then.

3. Replaced the head with a WFC Cliff head.

4. Did detail work.

5. Re-assembled the toy.

I still need to get some stickers for him....This was a spur of the moment decision to give this a go so I didn't have those handy. But, for all intents and purposes, he's done.

I'm certainly nowhere near the customizer that some of the folks here are, but given the fact that I've never built a model in my life or done anything like this, I think I did okay. As you can see from a couple of the photos, I've started a diorama to put together a battle scene to display in my collectible room.

Hope you enjoy it!

Dex

Attached Files:

2. SwerveGears

SwerveGears Autonomous Robot

News Credits:
    Shiny...yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...

3. rohrerprime25

rohrerprime25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not bad looking for a first custom good job on it :) 

4. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Congrats! Feels good, don't it?

5. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Very cool for a first custom. Next time you spray, try using light even coats. It will make all the difference and make your customs look even better.

6. Dex17113

Feels GREAT, actually....

That figure was so horrible looking when I got it, I was sorry I spent the money. Now I'm stoked over it. Despite the fact that he isn't perfect, he was a great learning experience and - yeah, he's a little rough around the edges...but, that's Cliffjumper's character when you think about it. :) 

I'm thinking about doing a Hound to Brawn conversion next. I'm still trying to work out the fabrication in my head to alter the chest area and a 'hard top' for the Jeep mode.

Dex

7. Dex17113

Yeah that was one of the things I learned from this experience. I have no doubt it will be a gradual improvement as time goes by - practice makes perfect and all. I'll get there I'm sure. I have some big things planned for down the line. Hopefully I'll get enough experience with the first few figures and the handful of dioramas I'm doing to get good enough to tackle something like an Omega Supreme or Metroplex custom.

Dex