Minor/Repaint: My first custom! Animated Movie Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LamboTwinLove, Aug 4, 2012.

1. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Okay, this is a work in progress, but really all I need to do is paint.

I started with an animated Blurr and I used a sharpie to do a layer of silver as a way of cutting down the painting work. This way I felt the little spot that would be a bit of a pain to paint will be done and I won't have to worry about them.

I took the head of one of those preschooler type Sideswipe toys and had to drill a hole in it... and that was about it. I will post pics when I do the actual paint job. And I included pics of the Knockout I touched up a little bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is where I got the idea from. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/438154-transformers-animated-bayverse-sideswipe.html

Attached Files:

2. ThatOddGuy

ThatOddGuy That Odd Guy's title

Not bad, the head seems WAY too big though...

3. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Great job! I'm proud to see you make your dream a reality. Keep it up!

4. LamboTwinLove

Really?

Hmmm I guess it might, I've been starring at it so long that I guess it's grown to work for me.

Do you think it looks big because of the details on the helmet part?

5. LamboTwinLove

Thank you! It's been fun. I think I'll definitely keep it up and try my hand at a few more of the ones I want.

6. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Hmmm. interesting idea. XD
    I'm a big fan of Sideswipe, and the animated Blurr mold, so it's interesting seeing the two of them put together like this...
    the head DOES seem a little big though...
    maybe you can try using the head of a deluxe DOTM sides?... or alternatively if you feel it wouldn't detract from his look too much, you could file down the 'fins' on the side of his head?... it'd give him a sleeker profile and shrink the head size down a bit too... might fit in a bit better...

7. ThatOddGuy

ThatOddGuy That Odd Guy's title

Yeah, I agree with Taiki.

Hey, are you planning alter the saw it comes with?

8. LamboTwinLove

Hmm... I would have to do a second one... I kinda had to super glue the head on there... I'm not so good with a drill...

I dunno. I think for a first one he;s good and I'm pretty happy with him. But if I can get a hold of another head and another Blurr I might try again. I'm still gonna love and cherish this guy even with his big head lol.

And no I'm not doing anything with the saw that came with Blurr.

Debating if Sideswipe will get blasters like Sidearm Sideswipe or if I will try to do the arm blades.

9. LamboTwinLove

I can't take the credit for the idea. Someone else did it a while back... but I think that person has since been banned or something. But I thought the Blurr mold made a great Animated Movie Sideswipe.

10. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Either would do? he seems to be more a blade user, but he does use both blades and guns in the movies, so it's probably whatever ya feel. XD

and yep, it's sleek enough. XD

11. aledromo

I forgot to ask, what paint did you end up using?

12. vorox4251

vorox4251 Something less weeb-y now

News Credits:
    The West coast of the South coast of Straya
    this is nice

13. LamboTwinLove

Right now it's just a layer of silver sharpie, which to me doesn't look too bad. But I only dit it so when I actually paint him I won't have to go all the way to the edges and the harder spots, I am a bit of a messing painter (at least I was when I was working on canvas and all) so I took that into consideration.

I have some Testors Enamel in silver, steel and aluminum coming in the mail soon. I'm going to see how much of a difference those colors have from each other and maybe I can get some highlights and shadows onto him. At least that's what I am thinking.

14. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

Nice work for sharpie color :)  , the head looks a little big for the body, but over all a cool concept. Just some advice for when you go to paint him. Test a small spot to see if the paint will stick on the sharpie marker you put on him. If not you will have to scuff him up and paint the entire figure and then touch up with sharpie after or even paint marker. Also it pays off to get a good quality brush. If you need any advice/help just PM me my friend.

15. aledromo

I recommend acrylics over enamels, but it's good to experiment for yourself.

16. LamboTwinLove

Yeah, the head didn't look big when I was doing it. But I think I was focusing on that area and not taking in the whole figure. I think the shoulder were throwing off my perception if that makes sense.

That is the plan, test a spot, well 3 cause I bought 3 shades and not sure which will be THE color. Really I was just going to sharpie the joints and edges but I got eager to see the whole thing in silver. If the paint doesn't stick I have found a really easy way to get sharpie off a figure.

I have a lot of brushes as I do paint just never done models or anything like that. And thank you!! I appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer. So far I'm having fun with this and already have my next 2 projects lines up!

I thought about the acrylics but I thought enamels might be shinier? I dunno, I'm gonna test em out and see. To be honest I got a deal on those at amazon so figured why not try them out.

17. aledromo

Whatever you use, take it from me who had to learn the hard way: thin your paint!

18. aledromo

Actually, what kind of brushes do you use? Size, bristle, brand? I'd love to know.

19. LamboTwinLove

Oh, yeah. Definitely don't want it to be too thick because then it on't dry evenly. I'm going to try for the thinest layer possible, let dry and then if it needs a 2nd thin layer then I'll do that.

20. Megatron118

Megatron118 I <3 Linkin Park

Head seems a bit too big for my taste, but if you like it it's all good!