My favorite Botcon memory

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by grimlockprime, Jun 28, 2010.

1. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

I left the con with a lot of great memories,but one stands out above the rest.As my wife and I gathered my customs from the contest area,I remembered the two art prints("Feral Instincts" and "A Hero's Golden Sheen" for those wondering)I entered.I admittedly did not need to bring these home but I did not want to just toss them so I started to look for a random fan to hand them to.My wife remembered something from the Paul/Scott panel where they were asked what the strangest item they had ever been given was and Paul had responded that he had never received anything from a fan,Erika(my wife) suggested that I give them to Paul and Scott respectively.I agreed and we walked over to the autograph line to give them the prints.I handed "A Hero's Golden Sheen" to Paul,explained the significance,and prepared to do the same for Scott with "Feral Instincts"(the irony of the title of the piece was lost on me up until I handed it to Scott)when Paul called me back over to ask me to sign the print.I was asked for my autograph by a legend of G1.I was shellshocked.And upon seeing my boardname on the print(I signed my name and my board ID);asked if I had ever met Gregg(Berger).When I told him no and mentioned I was a fan of his and his character,Paul responded by informing me he planned to mention me to Gregg along with showing him the print.Scott also requested my autograph to go with his print.They both reminded me why I love the Transformers,and those associated with the franchise.It is a beautiful kind of camaraderie that binds us as a fandom,as individuals,and as the actors who give these beloved characters life.Transformers can make us weep with joy and triumph;sorrow and rage.I cried with the knowledge that we as fans are beloved by those we adore,and it is a beautiful feeling.Til all are one.

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    That is pretty friggin awesome

3. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    mine would be when peter cullen said @ the end of his panel "Autobots Transformer & Roll-out" eveybody went nutts

4. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Autobot

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I have 2 favorite memories:

The first one is that being my first botcon and meeting a lot of you guys: Uzi the clown, Cspray, simplygriff, Megamus, Junior, Gen1fan, Protoman, Jhon3.0, Vangelus, Biotoakid and many other members of the board and cybertron.ca. Thank you all for making this a great first botcon experience!! Hopefully I will meet you all next year as well!!

My second memorable moment was in the autograph session when Peter Cullen saw my name (Pedro which is the spanish name for Peter) and smiled with joy. I will never forget that experience!

5. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    My favorite memory was when my boy Evil King Macrocranios found some beautiful Robo Force figures for $10 each!

6. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    A few of my stories;

We were there Sunday only, and I was looking to get parts for a G1 Metroplex I have that needs just about EVERY part. After spending $20 on about 1/3rd of everything I will need and looking through some other tables, I realized that at the rate I was going, I would spend anywhere from $60-$100 trying to complete this thing. So I told my wife that I was just going to sell what I had so far, and put that towards a re-issue. My SUPER AWESOME wife, dissapears for a few minutes only to return and surprise me with a MIB re-issue!!!!!!!!!! And to top that, she didnt count it against my spending fund!!!

Next my 6-year-old daughter trying to decide over a scout size laser Optimus or a G2 Seaspray. After a few minutes of looking over Seaspray she looks at the dealer and says: "Seaspray has a few scratches on his paint, I'll take that Optimus" to which the dealer pretty much just froze for a few seconds, then started asking everyone around if they just heard that! Super hillarious!!!

And finally, just before we left, my daughter saw a guy fiddling with a Waspinator figure and she points at him and says: "look daddy! He's got a Scott McNeil figure!" to which everyone around pretty much started giggling, high fiving me and telling me how I'm raising her right! LOL!!!!

We really did have a great time!
    Later

7. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Well, at the Hall of Fame dinner I got very sad because the my crotch piece for Scorch was
    gone. I started looking with no luck. Then, my friend Collin went out and found it where the
    cocktail party was. Great feeling. Gotta have good friends.

8. LuvOptimusPrime

LuvOptimusPrime Original Fan For 28 Years

Hands down, mine was....

meeting Peter Cullen.

I saw him, walked up and got as tongue-tied as a schoolgirl and said something inane about being a fan for over 25 years before half these kids were even born...and he took my hand and shook it. The security guy told me to leave him alone and Peter said to him, "No, this is family." :jawdropper: 

Oh.my.gosh.

He took pictures with myself and my kids, did Optimus Prime for my kids and I kissed his cheek and thanked him.

Then I nearly passed out. If you saw the woman practically fainting into the chair in the dealer room on Saturday a.m. - that was me.

Geeky and embarrassing? - yes. :eek: 

I was smiling the rest of the day. :D 

Awesome? - absolutely. :thumbs2: 

9. grimlockprime

that's beautiful.it was definitely how i felt.

10. LuvOptimusPrime

GrimlockPrime - he was so cool, wasn't he?

This is going sound too 'fangurl-ified' but it's the truth.

When I met him, I was thinking that he has Optimus' blue eyes. :eek: 

11. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, that is an awesome memory to have. I have the privilage of saying I witnessed it first hand. I was next in line with my wife and I was telling her how cool it was how they asked for your autograph! I couldn't believe the guy watching Scott's line... he got all pissy when he saw you walk up. I was like, dude you gotta chill (this is for the fans remember). I had the privilage of meeting Peter last year and after we talked, I haven't found a memory that can touch that one (just yet). It really did leave me feeling in awe after meeting him. I always like hearing him do Prime live, there just something about it...

12. Specimen-17

Specimen-17 Well-Known Member

Was that the gigantic tool with all the badges around his neck by any chance? I saw him acting like a mini hitler to a few people, and seemed to think it was vitally important to tell everyone he'd been to 12 BotCons so was clearly the ultimate authority there.

13. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually no, but that guy was kinda rude to my wife once or twice when she was asking a few simple questions...

14. LuvOptimusPrime

The Rude Dude

Same guy was rude to us, too. He's the one who tried to push me away from Peter Cullen til Peter told him where to go. :thumbs2: 

15. grimlockprime

my wife saw that guy(i was to in awe of the situation to notice anything else).we got permission from the lady watching paul's line,even offered to wait till the line was over but she was kind enough to us allow to do that.

16. MiraiBaby

MiraiBaby Til All Are Gone

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to say that one of the greatest memories of BotCon 2010 for me would be hanging out in the hotel room with TransCostumers user NatsumeRyu, dA user Miin-Miin, and TFW users Insane Galvatron(and friend), Artoni, and Stringycheese and joking about the sexuality of Transformers, how the procreate, and the pros and cons of aaaaaall the dirty things that we could possibly think of. We stayed up late laughing loudly at each other and our horribly dirty convention minds.

My second favorite memory is waking up Friday morning. I set my alarm for 9am and the entire room got all pissed at me for waking up THAT early. The next night, I set it for 10am to stop that from happening again. Saturday morning the entire freaking room decided to get up at 7am. WTF.

My third favorite "memory," I guess you could call it, was getting to learn BotCon's next location THAT early and to learn that it was in Pasadena again -- a mere two hour drive for me. *fistpump*

And my last most favorite memory was the Hall of Fame Inception -- Specifically Peter Cullen's video. No, it's not because of Cullen himself, it was the costumers in the video that were shown for, like, two seconds. "Peter Cullen has inspired thousands of fans" -- *flash to small vid of Animated Lockdown and Swindle*

The Animated Lockdown cosplayer was me, and what amuses me the most about that video is because we *and* the two characters we were cosplaying have absolutely nothing to do with Peter Cullen in the slightest. I look forward to reading about all of the Optimus Prime cosplayers who got angry because they weren't part of the video instead of us. xDD

------------

Throughout all of these, however, no memory has so far *ever* been able to touch BotCon 2009 -- not only was that my first BotCon, it was also the time I got to meet my favorite artist of all time (Alex Milne) and got to talk with him about Origins Megatron, as he is positively my most favorite Megatron I've seen yet. The wondrous artist really connected with me and ended up paying for my dinner Sunday night. (I was fidgeting the entire night and thinking "Oh god I hope I don't say something stupid and have him think of me as 'just another dumb fan'." as I was sitting next to him -- only to later find out that he was just as nervous about saying something to me that I wouldn't like) He drew me three different beautiful pictures for free and drew a phenomenal picture of my OC and Origins Backdraft.

17. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If I can let my ego go here, my favorite memory was all the people who came up to shake my hand and show appreciation for my videos. It was surreal to have people asking me to be in a photo with them, and then again to be asked for an autograph. I'm just some jackass on YouTube! But it was amazing to know how much what I do entertains people and how much they appreciate it. What really meant a lot was the mother of one kid I kept running into during the convention who shook my hand and thanked me for putting on a product that was safe for her kids to watch. I keep my toy reviews clean for that reason, I know kids are going to tune in, and not everyone gets that. I get asked why I don't swear, why I dont go for the obvious perverse joke. For as often as I get complaints over keeping it clean it was rather gratifying to know people also appreciate that effort I make.

Oh, and I got a sweaty man hug from Scott McNeil, lol. He's remembering me now which is really cool and I'll get to see him next month at Metrocon, too.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I was that friend of Insane Galvy that stayed with you all, and I must say that I, too thought it was one of the best parts of the con. Had a blast, and I hope we can all do it again.

I also enjoyed getting to meet Omegus Prime, GogDog, and Firehawc_69. BotCon 2010 was my 4th con and easily the best of them all!

19. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Too many to count, but off the top of my head:

-Our hotel room podcast recordings
    -The 3am "We don't know how to go to bed" after-after-hours crew
    -The legend of the Dash Attack
    -Spending somewhere between 1 and 17 hours discussing the nature of artistic intent and more w/ a bunch of people at the bar after the Hall of Fame induction dinner

20. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits: