My F.E.A.R. Files Review

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Galvatron397, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Hi all, hope you're all doing well! I just recently finished both campaigns of the F.E.A.R. Files expansion and I'm eager to review them both for any fans of the series on here. I'll start with 'Extraction Point'.

Extraction Point -

EP's first interval starts right where the first F.E.A.R. left off, your helicopter has just gone down in the middle of the now-devastated Auburn District. Just as the first game, the mission starts off simple: make your way to the new Extraction Point located on top of a nearby hospital.

At first, all the Replica Soldiers that Fettel had under his control are still dormant from the Armacham explosion you set off in the previous game, but as soon as Fettel is resurrected by Alma, it's back to the ol' grind.

You'll immediately notice that the game is more challenging, Elites now patrol with squads, functioning as leaders. The battles are even more frenetic and action-packed than before, and tactics are a must if you want to survive on even Moderate difficulty.

The graphics haven't changed much, or at all really, however they still hold up fine next to games like BioShock and Halo 3, despite being slightly dated. The shadow effects are still core to the game's J-horror-ish atmosphere.

The game's signature horror sequences are still here, they haven't really changed much, but they still scare the crap out of you.

One thing that is garishly missing are the answering machine messages and lap-tops from before. There are still a few, but they add nothing to the story and they're usually just there for looks.

As always, one of the strongest things about F.E.A.R.'s single player is the soundtrack. It's the perfect blend between suspenseful droning and Matrix-like action music. You'll often find yourself thinking that what your seeing is more like a movie rather than a video game.

However, like all things Extraction Point has it's flaws, like the aforementioned lack of any significant new story info. It can be tedious at times and you'll occasionally find yourself just rushing through battles trying to get to the next piece of the story (even though there's not much of that to begin with). When you do finally learn something new, it's usually very cryptic and doesn't add too much.

Overall, I'd say EP is the weaker half of the game compared to the new...

Perseus Mandate -

Perseus Mandate is a whole new story that occurs alongside the one set in F.E.A.R. and Extraction Point. The gameplay, graphics and sound are much the same, but with some key differences, the biggest being:

You're fighting an entirely new enemy. You start off against the Fettel clones but you quickly realize that there are much more powerful forces at work. The one you should worry about are the Nightcrawlers. The Nightcrawlers are a band of ruthless mercenaries sent to claim an object called 'The Source' from Armacham's cloning facilities.

The Nightcrawlers are not only stronger than the Fettel clones, they're also smarter, better equipped (with some new weapons I might add...) and some of them can even use the same SloMo ability that you can! This adds many new dimensions to the combat parts of the games, it forces you to conserve your ammo more as well as think outside the box.

Another little nugget of 'cool' is the fact that all the previous games' enemies all hate each other! Alma's still killing the Replicas (and you if you're not careful), the Replicas are trying to kill the Nightcrawlers, and the Crawlers are trying to turn you into a puddle!

The best part however, is that you actually learn some new stuff about the story, as well as witness it's conclusion. Until 'Project Origin' comes out that is.

All-in-all, F.E.A.R. files is a solid continuation of the former game and won't leave F.E.A.R. fans disappointed. It still packs the game's multiplayer mode and some new instant action maps as well.

Overview -

Pros:

-It's still fun to blow Replica guys heads off with a shotgun in SloMo.

-New weapons and enemies in single player, new gametypes and maps in multi.

-Perseus Mandate's horror sequences are the best of the series.

Cons:

-Extraction Point's campaign is tedious at times.

-Doesn't add a whole lot of new info to the story; too many cryptic clues.

-Still can't freakin' play as a Replica Elite in multiplayer!

Rating: 8.5/10

I hope you all enjoyed the review and make sure not to miss this great action/horror game amidst all the other great titles that have come out this year! :D 

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

There were horror sequences in Perseus?

Fear was great,EP was good,but PM was lacking in both challange and graphics.
    Worst of all I only used three health packs for the whole PM game.

Or blow them into red mist. ;) 

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Man, one time I used that shotgun in slow mo the Replica got blown in half, as he was getting split in half, another bad guy was right behind him, so I blasted that guy as my 1st victum was still being split apart.

4. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

I agree that PM didn't really add anything new in the graphics department, but I still felt more of a challenge in PM. Also, the most of the horror sequences I'm talking about happen from intervals 6 to 7. There are some really good (and long ones) IMHO.

5. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Yeh I think in my case I was expecting all the scary stuff before it happened.