my external hard drive failed, what's the possibility of getting files off it?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

it figures, I buy a larger drive (500GB)to back up my previous one (250GB) that was full, and when I plug in my old one, it starts ticking. autoplay pops up, and it stays stuck on what is the first folder. in this case, anime. if you go into explore, you can see all of the subfolders, but that is it. my girlfriends brother and father are both computer guys by profession, and I guess her brother was able to recover about 13 gigs of it.

now most of this was videogames and anime that I had downloaded, plus my entire music collection, so I can probably get most of that on the net again, but the pictures of vacations and such are what I'm most worried about. does anyone know what it might cost to take that drive someplace and have a professional recover it? I'm sure in this day and age, it's possible to get it all back, right?

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I Googled "professional hard drive recovery" and found numerous sites providing software, as well as a few companies that do the service. I only found one so far that provided a quote, and using the information you provided they quoted:

Estimated Charges
    Standard fee for Microsoft Windows: $378.99
    High Capacity Surcharge (210GB - 260GB): $25.00
    Clean Room (if necessary)*: $300.00
    Total Estimated Charges: $403.99 to 703.99

I would imagine most other places would fall into similar price ranges.

The company name is Gillware Inc.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wow dude, thanks for doing all the work for me :thumb  I found a site or two, but I don't have the drive at home right now, so I didn't feel like making up some info for those estimates.

damn, that's a lot of money. I might not be getting this done then. the funny thing is that at the bottom of this thread page, with the "similar threads" is the thread I posted two years ago when I was trying to decide whether or not to get an external or just do all of my backing up using dvds. guess I shoulda listened to the guys saying to use optical discs for archiving. oh well.

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'm not sure how it works (no really, I don't.) but I've been told numerous times that you could load Freespire (Linux dressed up like Windows) or Knoppix (also, Linux) from a CD that doesn't have to install and it allows you to gain full access to the computer, not to mention the drives. With the built in burning software, you might be able to recover and burn off the pictures and other items you require.

5. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Here is the thing, how many USB ports do you have? are they all full? try removing non essential USB items then accessing the hard drive. It may simply be its under powered. I am going to by an assumption here. Do you have a stock computer that you got from a store (meaning it wasn't built for you.)? and if it is have you added any other parts. It may be that your power supply is not powerful enough to support all thats connected. I would just remove all non essential USB items and then try it! Good luck. HD recovery is a bitch.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm afraid the problem lies in the fact that the hard drive was actually making a ticking noise. I guess that indicates there was a mechanical breakdown, which makes it much less likely that simple diy recovery software would help. as far as what kronos said, unfortunately, no, it's not underpowered. it's not underpowered, and in fact has it's own power supply and I am not running any other usb devices.

7. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Yeah, that would rule out the ticking being from having improper voltages from the USB port (which will also cause a drive to tick sometimes). The only other thing I could suggest is to take the casing off (assuming it's one of those larger externals) and then plug the drive in directly to a computer. Could be that something in the casing failed and that's causing the issues. Not likely, but the only other thing you can try besides the old fashioned freezer trick (I'd suggest hitting up google for that one if you're desperate).

8. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

yea if you take it to a place likt that that specializes in removing data off bad drives it costs your first born to do it. my dad had a 500mb jump drive that he had verry important work data on and they wanted to charge hime like $500 to fix a $20 jump dirve.

i'd say try the old freezer trick and if that doesn't work and you really want those pic's go to the pro's.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Everybody hit on everything I was going to say -including the freezer trick.

If you have the money, I am sure a data recovery agent can get everything off.
    We used to send drives in for recovery at my last job all the time and they were able to recover all the data off drives that looked like they had been destroyed.

Impressive stuff, but expensive.

10. Jux

So, I guess I provided an email address to the company because they sent me this regarding the quote:

Sounds pretty cool that they would tell you what they recovered before you decided to pay or not.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wow, I'll definitely have to give them a try. I saw the whole "freezer trick" thing that people have suggested here, and that looks like a great way to make sure NOTHING is recoverable. like I said, my biggest concern is getting family/vacation photos and videos back. everything else I can basically find online (games, music, anime) and re-download. thanks again, jux.

12. Jux

You should tell them you'll pay on a per-file basis. "Listen guys, $600 bucks is too much, how about you send me these five directories for $85? Yeah you can keep the rest."

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

We use gillware here at my company and they have never steered us wrong. Great company, and fast recovery.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Untrue - I've used it twice on bad drives, and was able to recover everything on one, and most of everything off the other.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    4 realz. The freezer trick may make it work, but it won't make anything worse.
    We're not talking about liquid nitrogen here.

16. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I've noticed on a few older HDs that I have that when it's a mechanical failure like the "readers" sticking to teh "platter" (also gives you a ticking sound), that if you give it a slight tap on the side it is usually enough to free them up long enough to get your data off of them. Got this from Leo in the early ZDTV days and still find it useful from time to time, sounds kinda barbaric but it works just remember that you don't need to hit it like an effing caveman just a slight tap will usually do the trick.