My Evangelion: Complete Platinum Collection arrived...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tikgnat, Nov 26, 2006.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have most of the platinum DVDs, I bought the box plus DVD one, and at this point just need the last two DVDs. Great set, I really liked how they did it, a good improvement over the VHSs.

I don't know if the slim case set comes with it, but mine came with a Nerv parking Pass, which I stuck in my car window.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Is there a cheaper version of the set in the pipeline without all the extra tat?

I really should get round to seeing this show at some point, but i'm not going to pony up £60 for a 26 episode series thats already been flogged to death.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The price did seem a little steep, but its a Christmas present to me.

The only version I've got is the old VHS version. I have a couple of of the DVD version, but after the Platinum versions started to pop up I held off... glad I did now. I'll have to assume that this is going to be the final definitve version... assuming in 10 years we won't have a Evangelion 'Special Edition' with all new enhanced CGI special effects...

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a basic six-disc boxset of the Platinum Edition DVDs that has no extras, except for director's cuts of episodes 21 - 24 (5 discs of the set are devoted to the series proper, 1 disc to the director's cut episodes)...but it's not exactly cheap. I managed to get it for ~$45.00 (USD) from Amazon at one point, but it's gone up to ~ $76.00 (USD). Not sure what that converts out to in non-USD though.

I can't comment on any of the other extras, since my set doesn't have them, but the director's cuts of episodes 21 - 24 are generally very good. They explain some things a lot better, expand on a few of the characters (particularly Asuka), provide a better explanation for what Kaoru is up to and the fight with the 16th Angel is much nicer. Some of the new footage in episode 24 contradicts some of the older stuff in the same episode, but it's not a major flaw. I watched the 'original' 21 - 24, then the director's cuts, and found the 'new' versions significantly better. Supposedly all of the episodes in the Platinum Collection have been 'cleaned up' to some extent, but I haven't seen any other version of the show to know much about that.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I got a fan-subbed version for free, you might try poking around on the interweb for some torrents if that kind of thing interests you...but I tell you what, the last 6 or so episodes are a mind trip. I'd suggest looking up what they're all about online first so they make a bit of sense to you.

7. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    ARRRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!

WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY??!??!??!???!?!?!? You just reminded me that I had my NERV parking pass in the window of my car, that got totalled, and just a few days ago the insurance company came to take it away, with my parking pass still inside!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! *weeps*

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'll wait and see if a domestic version of that set shows up, importing that would be about the same price as this fancy set after shipping and customs.

I only steal video from the internets when I can't actually buy it, I didn't spend £2000 on home entertainment equipment to watch shitty DivX rips.

9. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Honestly, the extras arn't really all that good. As a self professed Eva nut, the Platinum Collection is really all you need. Some new Eva projects have been announced but it looks they are either going to be some sort of complete remakes, an expansion of concurrent storylines, or something more origional.

The Directors cuts of episodes 21-24 are a nessessity. Any contadicting information in the DC is pretty much extremely minor, such as a translation issue. There is virtually zero impact in the story. The DC episodes are a godsend. Of course you still need End of Evangelion as well to truely complete the storyline.

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I got the discs when the platinum set came out. Something I'd suggest if you have access to it is some sort of second hand electronics store that sells dvds and such. We have one here called the exchange and I see the platinum sets (sans box though) for about 10 bucks cheaper then what I paid for each dvd I bought. Maybe gamestop or something will have them used too but its no guarantee if it'll be true though.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:lol 

They even stuck it in a tin so you can't even check out the case cover art. What a tease

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Don't forget the improved translation throughout the series.

...that is if you're watching it subtitled. Dunno if they changed the dub. I couldn't stand the dub.

13. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    That's true, I almost forgot about the improved translation. As for the dub, some of the characters arn't bad but the Japanese voices are definatly better. I saw the dub first so I can't hate it since it was how I saw the complete series origionally.