My drive home and the unexpected wreck....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prowl_Delta_31, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Today on my drive home, I came upon a single car car accident with one person involved.

The kid that was driving was about sixteen or so and had been ejected from the car. He was laying about ten or so feet from the car itself as I walked down to him. As I got close to his side I knelt down and started doing what I could. Some of you know that I have worked for ten years in emergency services (Police/Fire Rescue) and admit that I know how to "save lives". I was doing what I could for this kid, but I knew the situation was quite grim and that he was in critical condition. Throughout all of this, I remained very calm and collected because I knew that this kid was likely able to hear and understand everything that was going on around him. I could not let him know I was nervous or scared. I had to remain calm for him.

Although he never spoke one word during the entire time I was with him, he was staring at me intently. I was talking to him and trying my best to reassure him that all would be ok. Then, in a moments notice, his stare went to a blank gaze and a long breath left his lungs.

I called out to him and there was nothing. No reply, no movement. I instantly knew that he had passed away. To confirm, I checked his pulse and there was none. This young kid was laying between my knees and the fight was too much to bear.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I questioned myself in my mind (as we all would) as to if there was anything more that I could have done to keep him here. I knew I could not have done anything, but I still wondered. I gently shut his open eyes so he could rest in peace.

As the sirens grew louder and closer, I was still trying and hoping for a miracle. Then a police officer that I know from patrol came down to assist. He looked at me and asked how bad and I simply told him that he was gone. As I said those words my tears could not have been more obvious because they were rolling down my cheeks at this point! My friend brought me a blanket and I gave the kid the peace and dignity that he deserved. As I covered his head I said a simple little prayer for him. The police officer, my friend asked me if I was ok and simply told me Thank You!!..

Thank You?? Why tell me thank you?? I deserved no thanks that day. I did what I was placed on this earth to do that day. I simply followed the plan and the path that was set forth for me.

There are a few things that I realized on that day!! That day was not a day that I ran a bad wreck! It was not a day when I saw a kid die! This was the day that I was placed in the right place at the right time because God gave me the knowledge to do what I could, medically, but more than this - I was placed in this situation so that kid did not have to die alone. Because I was there, he had someone there as he passed away. I thank God for allowing me to be there..

I only pray that my actions and kindness allowed some of his fear to be lessened. Even though I did not know him, I will never forget him!

Rest in peace young man!!

2. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude that was deep. I am glad you realized that your gift as a PD is to help people; no, you can't always save them but sometimes it is in God's plan for them to go home, and, as you stated, that poor kid had someone there with him. That is an amazing thing. Glad you saw the good in what you did/what you do.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow PD....that was something.

I'll pray that God continue to strengthen you man.

4. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I'm seriously touched. This is a bitter sweet story, but gives a great lesson none-the-less. To give comfort to your fellow man, despite the worst...

You did well, PD.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

wow. You are trully a fine example to the rest of us.

6. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Each day I read the news and find almost nothing but depressing stories that cause my faith in humanity to dip. But then every so often a story like this comes along, and I can feel my faith rewarded once again.

Best wishes to you.

7. Dark Ramjet

Dark Ramjet Waiting patiently

News Credits:
    Damn dude......just damn. I don't know what to say other than at least like you said the kid wasn't alone and knew someone was there that cared when he passed.

8. sketchprowl

sketchprowl freak of nature

it's guy's like you that make this world worth living in.

9. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I hope the kid has better turn of luck in his next life.

10. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    This sounds like a chain letter.

But great story. It would suck to die alone. What happened?

11. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    You did what you could, PD. I'm glad that there's people like you out there that make life actually worth living, despite my autism. My condolences to the kid's family and friends.

12. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    God did bless you - and task you - with a big heart. :) 

--Moony

13. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Wow. That warmed my heart. God bless you and the one who died, hopefully he did well with the time he had.

Awesome.

14. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Good job man, I'm sure the young man's family would appreciate the effort your put forth to try and save his life. It probably means a lot that you tried, even though you were unsuccessful - not because you didn't do enough, but because his injuries were just too great.

That cop who said thank you wasn't thanking you for trying and not succeeding. He was thinking you for trying.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Not sure what else to say that has not already been said. I feel for his family and friends and also hope that you are alright...

Kinda puts things in perspective...

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    There is no doubt that you did what you could and I'm sure the kid's parents are grateful for your best efforts to give their son a fighting chance.

Not everyone can be saved but you certainly did your best to try. Don't think otherwise.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Big ups, battle. You can't win 'em all.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Fuck man, I almost cried reading it.

You are a good man.

19. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

*salutes*

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here. You read about people trampling over a employee to save $10 off a digital camera, but never anything like a good man like Prowl Delta being there for a dieing person and giving him company as he departs.

It was deep and moving my man. I salute you. You are a shining beacon of decency in an otherwise bleak outlook on humanity.