Customs: My dreaded nightmare: panel lining

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Obliterator999, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    OK so, if you click my sig you can see a few customs I'm working on. I'm actually finished painting most of them but I need to add some panel lining, but, from past experience, this has always been my achilles heel. It's not so much that I'm not good at making panel lines but rather that I cannot find for the life of me a marker that can give me a consistent job and not die on me after 2 strokes.

I have a plethora of Gundam markers but from what I read, those are most effective using directly on plastic, otherwise they clog up with paint and become useless. In the past I've also used Micron markers but they usually wouldn't last very long either. Anyone know a brand of markers that can actually lasts when used on paint? Or something that can be cleaned up, like a rapidograph or something (I use to have one and it kinda did the job except it was incredibly messy to use)?

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

what are your customs painted with at the moment? I usually paint my figures with enamels, and when I need to panel line them, I use acrylics for the panel lining. I do about 2 inches at a time. I make sure the area is painted well, dab a paper towel with rubbing alcohol, and wipe the area clean, and you'll have a 2 inch area that's panel lined. I'm not good at explaning these types of things, so I hope that makes some sense.

3. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    I use a pencil.

4. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I use water-based acrylics so doing washes, which is what you seem to be describing, can't be done or I'll wipe my entire paint job with it. XD

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couldn't you mask the area around the lines and spray paint or put primer in?

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    If you let those acrylics fully dry and set, you should be able to thin some paint to a milky consistency and touch it to the areas you want panel lined. Capillary action should help pull it into the grooves and let it flow through. If that acrylics are fully dry before hand, as I mentioned, you should be able to use a damp paper towl (dampen it with water) and gently wipe over the outer edges to remove any excess from the panel lining. I've panel lined this way and I've also used pens--this is much easier and nicer than tracing lines, especially if there are a lot of areas you want lined.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted and find a technique that works great for you, man.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    might even want to take it a bit further than a milky consistency, in my opinion, that way it can "travel" a bit further.