my desktop tower tipped over, is there any hope?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so we keep our desktop computer (a small HP) on the floor under our desk where you put your legs. it was still on and I was getting up and my leg bumped the tower, tipping it over onto the floor with a loud smack, which was hard wood.

the screen went blank, then went to the hp start up screen, and won't move on. this is now accompanied by a ticking sound, which I have learned means a problem with the hdd head. is there any hope in recovering the info on the drive, short of sending it to a professional and having them do clean-room heroics at the cost of hundreds of dollars?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Your best bet might be taking it out, connecting it to a different machine as a secondary drive and working from there. You might be able to use some disc recovery tools to salvage most of your files.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Exactly what I was going to say. Setting it up a secondary or slave drive to another machine could be your best hope. That's what I would do.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks guys. my brother-in-law works for a computer firm and is in charge of it security, so he REALLY knows his way around computers. I was hoping this might be something he could fix.

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *queue list of people describing hard drive woes*

And I'll start.

It's strange - I had a hard drive die during normal use, pulled it and tried to get it working as a secondary with no luck, sent it off to one of those companies that specializes in retrieving data from hard drives that have been burned or immersed in water, and they couldn't pull a damn thing off of it. Guess I should have burned it before I mailed it. :lol  It's a miserable feeling when you know you haven't backed up... I'll never make that mistake again.

Good luck with yours.

6. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

May not hurt to simply open the case and see if any cables or anything else came loose from the fall.

7. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    There's always the "freezer trick", if you know it's ghost is up, as a last resort. Alternately, you could boot to some kind of LiveCD, like Knoppix or Hiram's and see if you can at least get stuff pulled off and onto a USB drive for recovery.
    But yes, booting with it as a secondary drive is your best bet.

8. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Perform CPR!

Take it into the shop for a checkup.