My Dad wants to by me a new TV, what should I get/look for?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by netkid, Oct 19, 2011.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I've never bought a television before, so I'm all very new to this.

Basically Christmas of 2010, my Dad bought me an LG flatscreen from BJ's with 1080p and all sorts of features in it. We plugged the television in and even with the HD cable box and HDMI cable, the picture was god awful. You couldn't even read the words on screen. My old televivison has a clearer picture. It was pathetic.

So we returned it, and now I'm searching for a new television.

I'm looking for something that will have a great picture, 1080p, look beautiful when playing games or movies. decent refresh rate, lcd or led edgelit.

I also saw this article yesterday: The 10 Best TVs Under $1,000 - Yahoo! Shopping

^How good are the televisions listed in that article?

2. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    How big does the tv have to be? ( personally I recommend any tv within the sony brand)

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I agree about Sony. The Bravia series is always the best on the market in terms of picture quality.

4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  5. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    Convince is another thing that's great about the bravia models as well. (Since I'm a gamer, the AV and HDMI ports being in easy reach is great)

6. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You still need an hd cable subscription if you intend to access the real 1080hd channels. Not sure if you had that going. I've watched some lg's and they've looked fantastic.

Otherwise, you were just watching upscaled 480 through an hdmi cable which is going to look like shit no matter what tv you run it through.

That being said, what to get depends on what you're going to be using the tv for.

If gaming, you'll probably want to stay away from the cheaper brand names, as in my experience they have very high lag time. I'm not sure which ones are better for this either, as I do most of my competitive gaming on my pc monitor to avoid the larger scale lcd lag.

If movies, some people might tell you to look into plasma's as they've always offered deeper/richer black values. 120/240 hz is something to consider also. Some hate the technology, some love it. It's really one of those things you have to check out first hand to give your own opinion on.

Everyone tends to say the best things about the tv's they own. I own a vizio myself, and while I absolutely love it for tv and movies, it's lag time is shit for gaming. I've played on other vizio's as well and it seems across the board for them. Just my personal opinion but you might want to avoid cheaper brands like vizio or lg if concerned with gaming at all. If not, they're excellent for just movie watching and tv.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    It's hit and miss.

I have a 37 Vizio LCD that died after a week,got it replaced, and the new one has been perfect for a year+.

My parents got a 50 Samsung Plasma and after 3 months it got major dead pixels right down the middle(they refused the warranty at purchase)

My brother has a 47 Panasonic plasma that has been replaced twice

8. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

If you're under around 42 inches, don't bother with 1080P. The eye can barely make out the difference on smaller sets.

I have a 46 Sony Bravia, 120 hz, 1080P, all the fancy stuff (Model KDL-46EX500) that I absolutely love, but it's an old TV by now. I've had it for around a year, and it was probably out for still a year before that. You can get it for around 800 though.

I'd definitely recommend staying away from the cheap brands though. I personally am not a fan of plasmas either.