Minor/Repaint: My Custom MP-03 Starscream

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Golgo-013, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

After looking at MP-03 for a long time I decided to change a few things. It feels like the original design was orginally meant to have more articulation in the hips and waist (but after looking at the first prototype, the hips actually had no articulation at all. The hip kibble is the main reason there is no articulation (on this mold). I also did not like the look of the "samurai swords" and "shoulder guns".

So I removed a couple small pieces on the hip plates, rib/waist pieces, and back frame to let the waist turn and the hips move much more freely laterally and up and down. The hip plates can swivel up and down now too. Also shortened the little pieces in between the jet nozzles to let the heels move more freely inward so they stand flat in any pose. I also made a little silver cover for the nasty screw showing in the cockpit.

I moved the Hip kibble to the back like a backpack. Initially I was going to mount the kibble on the leg like the first prototype, but I really liked the the clean legs. So the back felt like a natural place. It's not a perfect transformation, but this toy had shit falling off of it first time I transformered it anyway. So I modified the tabs on the back piece to be pegs that plug into the hip kibble to hold it up, then the shoulder kibble is on the back too and clamps the hip kibble to the back piece.

I like it and is compact. It could benifit from another set of pegs to hold it in better, but right now it won't come off unless you pull it off. The best part is the figure is free to be posed and looks much cleaner. The jet mode is unaffected, by the mods. The hip kibble is still held firmly in place in jet mode by the leg pegs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Golgo-013

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Golgo-013

The waist mods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Golgo-013

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

Wow, the kibble in the back looks really good!! Great custom!

Does the kibble hinder back movement in the legs?

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    personally, i dont like the thin legs.

but good job in making his hip/waist area more articulated!

7. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I like that look a lot better and was considering doing the same to my MP-03. It's not that I mind the look so much but when kibble starts getting in the way of articulation, then I'm going to have an issue with it. The best part is that it's done in such a way that the jet mode isn't hurt by it, so I think it's time to try my hand at kitbashing. Additionally, what did you use to perform the cutting?

8. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

That looks fantastic. I'm with KA though, thicker legs are better. I'd love to have that kind of articulation, though.

Did you do the arm mod to get the jet mode to close up so cleanly, or are you just very careful when transforming him?

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks great. I wish the kibble had been designed to go along the back in the first place.

10. Golgo-013

Thanks guys.
    The kibble on the back doesn't really hinder backwards movement in the legs, I think the leg range ends before it contacts the kibble, I'll check later. In general with the waist and hip mods the movement is overall much better in every direction.

The waist and hip mods I highly recommend, they were easy to do and really make posing this guy a lot more fun. You will have to remove some material though including the hip ball joints if you want to do the hips. I just used my trusty x-acto knife, but you will need to break out the dremel to cut the edge off the metal frame so the hips clear it.

On the jet transformation, I just squeeze the right parts in the right spots and the seems line up pretty nice, no shoulder mod. I find that on mine the shoulder kibble/gun pod's shitty attachment and the little flap piece connected to it are the reason the seem won't go together perfectly.

I hear you guys on the thin legs, especially with the beefy body builder arms it looks a little off. But I decided I liked it better than the massive tail wings hanging off the leg, plus this method required less modification than fixing the hip kibble to mount properly to the leg, so it was a bit easier for me to do. I think it could look equally good if the kibble was mounted to the leg, but it would need to be in a raised postion so the heels contact the ground. And you would have to cut off the top section of the kibble (part with the ball socket) and mount that to the wing on the back. Then you still have the shoulder kibble to put somewhere.

11. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    If you permanently attach the hip kibble to the legs should work when transforming between modes right? Maybe add a slide function?

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Love the waist modding you did. Good thing you know what to do now, because you're doing mine next :lol 

13. Golgo-013

You could permantently attach the hip kbble to the legs it wouldn't affect transformation. I think you can get inside both the lower leg and the hip kibble (its 2 pieces), so you could make a slide mechanism with another peg with a screw in it. Or you could just do it the easy way and have a second leg peg to peg the kibble higher on the leg in bot mode.

"because you're doing mine next " :D 

14. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    Can you post pictures of just the tail fins/samurai sword sheathes while not attached to Starscream? I just tried to modifiy mine and I'm wondering if I seriously f'ed it up or not.

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    nice!

16. Golgo-013

I'll have to take some new pics. What did you do that you think might be wrong?

17. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    I tried to make the tabs on the fins so that they can attach to the back panel. Made a slot more or less and the damn fins just won't stay there. I'm not sure if I completely botched it or if I'm just missing something to make it work.

18. Golgo-013

I'm not sure if I understand exactly how you modified yours. Here's some picks of the peg I made to hold the hip kibble up. I just modified the tab on the back piece and then made slots on the kibble. And then reinforced the slots with GW modeling green stuff so they're nice an snug. Then the shoulder kibble clamps the top of the hip kibble onto the back piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    Oh! Okay, now I see what you did. I just cut a slot, not a little rib. Hopefully, I can still salvage mine. Thanks!

20. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Nice job. And...it takes a hairy set of testes to hack up such an expensive toy!!