Heavy/Scratch: My Custom Kup

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Strarf, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was exited to hear Kup was getting a figure in Generations because he is one of my favorite characters, however I was disappointed with Hasbro's efforts. I hate most of the figure, especially the head. Fortunately, iGear was able to fix that, but the arm panels and backpack were still bothersome. So, I started hacking things off. At first, I was going to try to make him more G1 and still transform but I really don't have the skill to heavily mod a figure and have it transform. So, I decided to forget transformation and G1 and make a Kup model I liked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last weekend, I removed the arm panel and backpack making posing the figure easier IMO. I removed the tailgate portion of the feet and trimmed down the "walls" of the bed to be flat with the rest of the legs. I also cut off front fenders and flipped them down. I debated on whether or not to keep the wheels on the arm or move them to back, but ultimately decided to keep them on the arms. I added paint to the figure and considered him mostly done. My iGear heads weren't in yet and I had to go back up to college. My heads arrived at home on Monday and I couldn't wait for Friday so I could finish him.
    So I get home and put the cygar head on him and realize that the back feels like it's missing something and that I have to add the wheels to the back.

[​IMG]

I then added a little more paint and painted the head to match and then he was finally done.

[​IMG]

I'm happy with how he turned and out IMO he's better than the Generations figure.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Rusty.

3. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Really cool!

4. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Brilliant work. I like the war-torn look he has about him :) 

5. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    very interesting to give him the g1 look with the front of the car as a chest.

in my honest opinion, it looks a little too bulky. but i definitely like your concept

6. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because of the headlights, I think, it looks like he has robo-boobs. Still, an interesting take on this mold. Don't see many customs at all of it.

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :cool: 

8. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I am one of the people who were 95% thrilled with hasbro's inturpretation of Kup. My only issues are the arm panels and I'm willing to over look that. I see what you were trying to achieve here, but it just seems off to me....but the paint work is top shelf!!

9. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    tig ol' biddies

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

oh awesome! now to make it micheal bay movie style damage, all you gotta do is make all the damage magically disappear everytime he transforms! :lol 

11. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty cool. If someone could make a mod like this and still be transformable into his truck... that'd be awesome.

12. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Agreed. I really, really like the fenders flipped over like that. I don't think it gives him boobs anymore than RtS Jazz's large hood gives him boobs or any other 'bot with headlights and fenders on his chest for that matter.

To me, the bulkier appearance makes it a more aesthetically balanced figure from top to bottom since it offsets those huge feet. I love the wheels on his back too. If this could be done while still letting him transform to vehicle mode, I'd be all over it. Nicely done!

13. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    for all that rust, I should say like Hot Rod, Not bad for an Old timer.

14. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I like it.

Kup has always been one of my favorite characters, but I'm not a fan of the toy at all. The igear head helped, but I hate those damned legs; they are much too big and out of proportion with the rest of the body.