My Custom AUTOBOT SYMBOL for my RIDE

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Attobot2006, May 14, 2010.

1. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey all. I made this custom Autobot symbol for my ride. I used chrome rocker panel sticker sheets from autozone, eyeballed an autobot logo just by looking at one from a pic, and cut out the individual pieces with an exacto. It was a beeyotch and a half, but I think the results came out nicely.

Here's the stickers after I cut them out. Gonna be a beeyotch to individually peel each backing off and apply them one by one....
    [​IMG]

Had to apply them to my hood one by one. I used no measurements, all by eye, was a beeyotch did I mention? lol. And at night....
    [​IMG]

Here it is all applied. It's interesting, cuz at night the chrome reflects the black night sky, so it looks like I have a black insignia at night.....
    [​IMG]

Or if a light shines on it, it looks SILVER......
    [​IMG]

And during the daytime on a sunny day, it reflects the blue sky, so it looks SKY BLUE!.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is with my wing on (don't hate.) I've since also added side marker lights. Oh, and I've named my car "Attobot". My son calls it "Robot Car" lol.
    [​IMG]

2. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

ON A FORD?! J/k Nice job and impressive.

3. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Okay...that's pretty cool. Nice job.

4. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Looks pretty good.

~Z

5. Insecticon

Insecticon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's very nice!
    It must have took a lot of precision to get the symbol cut out and looking correct on your car. It looks professionally done. Fantastic job!

6. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    WIN! :rock 

I love to see little nods like this on everyday cars. I always go "oooh...that car owner is SO a Transformers fan!' :D 

Gets me every time~ :D 

7. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

*Reads thread title* Ooh...I gotta see the steaming pile of crap this guy made. I loves me some pathetic homemade garbage that people are proud of.

*Reads description before pics* Oh yes!!! He decided to EYEBALL the thing and he did it at NIGHT!!! What an idiot! I cannot wait to see how terrible this looks.

*Looks at pics* :jawdropper:  Well shut me up! I am thoroughly impressed. Dude, that looks pretty sweet. I almost want to call you a dirty liar for claiming that you eyeballed it, but that's only because despite being OCD on alignment and symmetry, I'm lousy at applying stickers, and therefore expect everyone else to as bad as me. I don't know how expensive that adhesive chrome is, but I'd bet that on a scale of "cost of symbol vs. coolness factor" this takes the cake. Nicely done.

*Tips cap*

8. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

Shiny! looks pretty cool.

9. Attobot2006

News Credits:
    Lol, thanks. For symmetry I drew only one half of the symbol on a piece of paper folded in half. Then I cut it out, which produced mirrored sides (symmetrical sides). Then I took the individual pieces of paper and taped them to the back of the chrome stickersheet. Then I used an exacto blade to trace the paper (and cut) the same shapes out of the stickersheet.

When placing it on the car, I started with the "nose" as a center piece. I had the leftover paper (with holes in it) from when I cut out the pieces, so I used that to place on my hood until I was happy about where to start it. Then I worked my way around the nose sticker being the first one laid.

It's not EXACTLY perfect though. You can tell I kinda cut the left "cheek" just a tad off a bit, and I had to compensate by putting up with a wedge of it kind of missing near the mouth, so the line isn't exactly straight. But you can barely tell.

It didn't cost me anything, cuz the chrome sticker sheet was something I had laying around from years ago. I still have more of it, and I might do more symbols for later. I was just too lazy to BUY a sticker from online, plus I hadn't seen any ones this size or in this chrome. I also went with the chrome because I wanted the Autobot Symbol to be somewhat subtle, being that I wanted it on the FRONT of my car, unlike most cars I see that have it displayed as a rear window sticker. Plus my friends, GF, and my mom were all hounding me saying I'm ruining my car by putting a childish sticker on it, so I was trying to keep it low key. The chrome blends in pretty well with my silver car. At one point, though, I admit, I wanted to put a RED Autobot symbol on it, ala G1. Or a red symbol with chrome trim, like a G1 toy. Still haven't thrown that idea out the window completely.

On a maintainence note, though, for anyone interested in putting an Autobot sticker on the NOSE of the car, be warned: it WILL be subject to wear eventually, as bugs and debris will hit it, and nick it. Even if you paint it on, this will be the case. That's why factory paint on the nose of the car comes with extra layers of clearcoat, because they know the front is subject to more abuse. My symbol now has a few nicks in it (it's been on since March 09). I'm thinking of redoing some of the nicked pieces since I still have extra chrome sticker left.

If I had my druthers, though, I would find a way to paint a chrome symbol onto the car, and have several layers of clearcote on top of it to help it survivie the front end abuse. Perhaps a clear wind deflector may help, but I dont really wanna put one of those on my car.

Thanks for the props guys!

10. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

Bah! With the right products, stickers come off very easily. Just make sure whatever you use is paint safe. I fudged up the doors of my second car by using too strong of a product to remove the emblems. The only problem that may arise is paint fading, which wouldn't happen underneath whatever stickers you've applied...although that might look really eff-ing sweet 10 years from now, once said stickers have been removed.

I like the subtlety of the chrome on silver. Although the red with chrome outline is an awesome idea, again I'm one for subtlety.

It's far too early to redo some of the stickers. I mean you COULD, and in a perfect world, your decal would always look pristine, but realistically if it only took 2 months to get the nicks that it currently has (and I'd bet they're minimal), then you'd have to replace it every 2 months, and that'd be a pain in the ass. I'd say give it at least 6 months before you decide to replace anything...and that's only if it really bugs you.

11. Attobot2006

News Credits:
    March 2009. its been over a year actually. still looks ok, but for perfection sake... plus the part thats nicked is the cheek i messed up in the 1st place. so good excuse to replace. i use orange goo gone to remove decals.

12. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

That is sweet! I think that the reflective decal reminds me of a rubsign the way it changes colors with the lighting.

13. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If and when I get a car I plan on doing the same thing but with the magnets from the matrix of leadership box set

14. Attobot2006

News Credits:
    I wondered about those magnets (which I have also seen similar ones sold seperately at Spencers in malls). I hope they don't fly off at freeway speeds if you put it on the front of your car.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

That's awesome.

16. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    sigh, I had one of those awesome chrome plaque versions on my ride. Then some asshole almost a year ago ripped it right off and took it :(  all that was left was the gel that kept it in place.
    I really do want another one, but a decal this time

17. Attobot2006

News Credits:
    MY EX KEYED MY CAR and focused on my AUTOBOT LOGO!!!

THis past saturday my crazy ex came to my home, tried to kick the door in, and then keyed my autobot logo on my hood. She tore up the decal pretty good, and the key marks dug into the paint.

I called the cops, and they felt sorry for her sob story and just made her leave, even though I wanted to press charges for destruction of property.

I am going to the police station tomorrow to file a complaint. They didn't even take a statement from me, even though the damage was right there, and she was sitting on my hood fresh after doing it, and my daughter and my neighbor and I all watched her do it.

This freakin sucks!

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I highly doubt this.

Police don't let someone who is quite obviously in such an unstable state of mind simply walk away after willful destruction of private property because they felt sorry for her.

And they certainly wouldn't leave without taking a statement from you, especially if you wanted to press charges.

Also, bitches be crazy.

19. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    That looks very nice, great job!

20. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Dude, that sucks that your crazy-ex messed it up, that was a pretty cool decal.