Minor/Repaint: My Custom Alternators...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Gen. Magnus, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    As some of you know, I have been working on a number of "custom" alternators. They are "custom" and not fully custom due to the fact that they are only head swaps and repaints (with a little fun w/ my friend, Mr. Dremel). Some of them have been seen by TFW2005 before while some have not.

I just finished my 7th one and wanted to give a sneek peak to what I have done as well as the background on those that are origional characters, not G1 figures turned Alternator. These are listed in the order that they were done.

1) Slipstream
    This was a wheeljack with a windcharger head. He is a character I made up. He was a 'seeker' who worked for Shockwave and had traveled to Earth with him as a body guard. He was severly damaged shortly after and took over one of the Wheeljack clone alt's body.

Sadly, this is not an offical color for the '05 mustang. I just really like the color so I used it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    2) Bombshell

The second is actually the first in a series - the insecticons in Alternator form. Here is my take on Bombshell. For him, I utilized a swindle body and the wheeljack head from the above project (I cut down the sides of the head). I felt that head was perfect due to the mouth plate.

The blue I used here is damn close to a factory color for the '05 Wrangler. The knees are a bit off due to my painting ability but the rest turned out really nicely, IMO.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

G1 pics from tfu.info

3. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    3) Shrapnel

Shrapnel:

For Shrapnel, I used an Alt Windcharger and the Alt Swindle head I had left over from Bombshell. Please keep in mind that I will be putting a 'con insignia in the large yellow box on his chest.

I felt the head was absolutely perfect. I just had to sand down the chin area because it would not fit otherwise. It is a very tight fit in the 'trunk' but it does fit.

Yes, the S2000 does come in black.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

G1 pics from TFU.info

4. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    4) Kickback

For Kickback I used An Alt Smokescreen and the head from the Windcharger that I used for Shrapnel.

Of all of the heads I have used, I love this one the most. IMO, it is spot on for Kicky.

Yup, black is a factory color for the WRX. I had origionally planned on doing it as a rally car but have since thought better of it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

G1 pics from tfu.info

5. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    5) Venom

This was the last Insecticon I did. Actually, it wasn't planned but I got an Alt 2 pack at TRU so I did it.

For Venom, I used the Dodge Viper Sideswipe and the head from Smokescreen (that I used the body from for Kickback).

He varies the most from the G1 figure but I feel that it is ok in that regard since the G1 figure was kinda' ugly, IMO.

I saw an really interesting anadized automotive paint so I decided to experiment with it. It is a metlic (anadized) dark green. Obviously, this is not a factoy color.

This custom is the one I am least find of. It feels weak. I guess that is ok since it was not planned and it was a bit of an experiment.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    6) Chromia - Decepticon

Yes, I know Chromia was a female autobot. I didn't want to do a bot, however. I wanted another 'con and my wife insisted I make her an Alt since I was doing so many.

She was made from a Smokescreen body and the head of Sideswipe (+ Mr. Dremel).

Shockwave, while on Cybertron, became tired of the incursions of the female autobots so he decided to create one of his own. He captured Chromia and cloned her. This was not a straight clone, though. Instead, Shockwave decided to make some (as he thought of them) improvements. She also traveled with her master to Earth and was nearly destroyed when the attack came. Chromia was rebuilt from one of the many Smokescreen clones that were running about.

My wife realy liked a purple that was from the same line as the anadized green so she is anadized purple with a black hood, roof, and trunk. The spoiler is chrome. She will be getting a bio-havard symbol in chrome on the hood as well.

The biohazard idea came about from my thinking of putting a 'Y' shape highlight on the hood to give a slightly more feminine look in bot mode. When photoshopping the rough idea I realized how close it was to the biohazard shape and just decided to go with it. That is being applied with a stencil I made.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    7) Breakdown

My first Stunticon to be a custom, Breakdown was made from an Alt Ravage body and a Smokescreen head. Mr. Dremel really helped me on the head.

This is probably one of my best pieces to date. It has taken over as my favorite (though I still like Kickbacks head work the most).

The Corvette body was painted white while some of the torso was painted blue. I chromed the wrist cannons and plan on panel lining this one (thanks to the inspiration from Chaos Muffin's thread) to bring out some more detail on the white.

The Corvette does come in white.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

G1 pics from tfu.info

8. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Please keep in mind that ALL of thse alts will be getting labels and tags this weekend - I still have to buy my label paper. These are all / are going to be pre- label shots. I will have, with the help of Alphie ( :thumbs2:  ) better shots once the labels are applied.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hey, Gen. Magnus...just wanted to let you know that what you've done, so far, looks great. I'm still recovering from that checkerboard pattern on Slipstream. :D 

10. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind words. I really feel that my work has greatly improved along the way (with the exception of Venom).

Just remember, the checkboard is monokote, not paint. F' painting that.

I can't wait to get pics of the others up as soon as possible.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Out of curiosity, concerning Breakdown's head - was he one of the Stunticons that received "extra junk" on their head in the cartoons in order to break them out of the square-head-syndrome? I remember...Breakdown, maybe?...had two little antennae sticking out horizontally.

Now, that's not to say "You should add that," but it might help to further personalize the custom. My 2 cents.

PS: Can't wait to see the white 'vette either!

12. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    See pic from cartoon above. It is next to the full body shot of the toy.

The head was really fairly plain blue with a red face.

In mine, I cut off the 'chin strap' from the helmet and buzzed off the brow from the smokescreen helm. I also painted the face red but left just a hint of black showing through to accent the angles on his face.

I did the eyes in black instead of white, however. White would have been a total pain in the ass to have show through clearly - even over black (which I base coated the entire face in before painting red). White bottle paint has been a real pain for me to have come out perfectly. White, I also felt, would have looked too 'goody'. Hence the black in this case.

God, I wish I could just show it.

Dragstrip had some stuff popping off of his head though I think you are thinking of Wildrider who also had them. Wildrider was a black helm with a red face. Breakdown was blue with red.

13. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

im having a heart attak it must cost you alot but i see it pays off

14. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    It really does not cost all that much. If you calculate in the kit of bottled paint I bought at the beginning it averages about the cost of an Alt + 1 bottle of spray paint + 1 bottle of paint. There have been a couple of extra expenses such as the monokote, a spray bottle of gloss, a new x-acto knife, a couple of brushes, and the primer for the anadized paint. That only totals maybe $20 in extra expenses (if that even).

If we look at it on the general cost given above of Alt+1 bottle spray paint+ 1 bottle of acrylic paint it comes to about $20 + $4 + $3 = $27. We can easily round that to $30 for the extras that come here and there.

I figure $30 is not a bad price for a lasting piece of work that I enjoy producing. That is only $10 more than the base Alt and I get the satisfaction of having done much of the creative side.

As far as time goes, my last one took me about a day and a half of regular spray and wait 15 minutes for it to cure, repeat process. That also includes, in that case, purchase, disassembly, touch up, dremel work, and reassembly. That may be because I did not add all that many extra small paint apps, however. Extra paint apps would have taken me an hour or so extra + drying time. I still want to panel line Breakdown too. That will add a little time.

All in all, it takes me about a day and a half to two days per custom and about $30. To me, it is more than worth it for the satisfaction of the finished product and the fact that it gives me somehting to do with my day (as I can not work thanks to a disability).

Keep in mind when you see that it pays off that you have not seen my best work yet. :D  I love the way Kickback, Chromia, and Breakdown all turned out - breakdown being my favorite at the moment due to the major likeness to the origional.

15. Bruceatron

Bruceatron Clear Black Exclusive

I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the pics! Awesome, awesome work so far. I especially like shrapnel - just looks so perfect for him!

16. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    That is exactly the reaction I was hoping for. :D 

Thanks for the positive comments.

17. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Those are really nice. I want to see the other ones!! Get those pics man!

18. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    I am hoping to have some pics of the others up tonight. I am still waiting for my in-laws to get their images off of the camera.

19. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Stop the chit-chat and get to posting those pics already!! I wanna see more!

20. Madjester

Madjester Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    IMO Venom ROXORS!

I'll be waiting for pics my good man