Minor/Repaint: My Custom Alternator Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by carnage717, Oct 7, 2006.

1. carnage717

carnage717 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well I took advantage of the latest Hasbrotoyshop Code and picked up a few extra Alternators do customs with. The first up is Bumblebee, he was made using a Richochet Alternator and a Custom head made by myself. The 2nd picture shows a better picture of the head. It was my first attempt and doing a custom head and I based it off of the Cartoon Bumblebee. Im sure as I do more custom heads and get better at it I may go back and redo a 2nd Bumblebee head. Even with the new head it is front end is still fully transformable so in the Future if I ever want to change it back to car mode the head will still fit under the hood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New Head
    [​IMG]

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bumblebee's face is...round. Very round. But otehrwise, MOST EXCELLENT!

3. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Chubby 'Bee rocks! :p 

4. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Looks like he got stung by a bumblebee.

Still like it a lot!! Nice job!

5. carnage717

Ebay:
    I think all the yellow is blocking out some of the lines on his head. It doesnt look that round in person. There are very well defined lines alont each side of his, the top of his head but the yellow in the picture is sort of hiding the lines. This is my first custom head I made from scratch. Im still working on a Cliffjumper, Arcee, Soundwave and a few others so hopefully by the time Im done Ill have enough experience at it that I can go back and make a better version of Bumblebee. Glad you like it though.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job!:thumb 

7. zailand

zailand Well-Known Member

great job! very neat. Got pic of car mode?

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I think it looks really nice, though I agree that the head looks a bit puffy. It would be nice if there were a few more sharp angles in there, kind of like facets. But that yellow color looks great, and the paint looks really well-applied. So smoooooth!

Might I make one small suggestion? The gold autobot symbol from Ricochet sort of clashes with the yellow.... I think it would look much nicer to cover that up with a silver-backed sticker from Reprolabels! It would nicely tie in with the silver on his legs.

Out of curiousity, what kind of paint did you use for the silver, and how did you apply it? I've got a project going in which I would love to get a nice flat coat of silver like that, and I'm interested to know how you achieved it! Thanks very much!

9. carnage717

Ebay:
    This silver paint I used was called Krylon Original Chrome. If you want the piece have a nice shiney tone to it then just spray it on and leave it alone. I will tell you if you do use plan on letting it dry at 2 or 3 days before handling it. If you want to tone down the glare and just havea somewhat uniform silver color I use a satin clear coat and spray over it. It gets rid of the glare off of it but still leaves a nice silver color that looks more like a stainless steel color. Below is a pic of what the can of paint looks like. As far as bumblebees head goes I might play around with one of the Richochet head I have left. I started working on my Cliffjumper figure this morning and came up with a pretty decent head for Cliffjumper using a Modifed Richochet head. I also put a pick of that head here as well so if anyone has any other suggestions for that you can post them as well.

[​IMG]

Cliffjumper Head
    [​IMG]

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks very much for the painting advice! Much appreciated! That was going above and beyond, posting a pic of the actual paint can! :) 

I think the Cliffjumper head looks great. The angry expression on that head mold really works for him.

11. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    cool! I must say, though, you did a better job with cliffjumpers' head. I still respect the fact that you made the BB head yourself -I've never done that, so I can't really say anything ;) 

12. carnage717

Ebay:
    Well after a couple of days of messing around with another one of my spare Ricochet heads I came up with a new head for Bumblebee that doesnt look so puffy. I basically ground down all the features on the Ricochet head and just used the face and built up around the face plate. Let me know if you guys like this one better.

[​IMG]

Brad

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wow man you're on a roll. Just drooled over your CJ custom and thought to myself " Bet this guy can make a great Bumblebee" and whoa, bam!

Killer job on those

14. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    how did you do the yellow??

15. carnage717

Ebay:
    I used 1 light coat of White Primer then 1 coat of Yellow Krylon Fusion paint. I turned out nice and yellow the time so there was no need to a 2nd coat of the yellow.

Brad

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That new head does a world of difference. Amazing work, man!

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like the new head better! :thumb 

18. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Niiiiiice!