My contribution to the war on scalpers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by taterx, Nov 4, 2007.

1. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I basically said something like this yesterday in the "which animated toys will be scalped" thread but since the anti-scalper sentiment is apparently growing stronger I thought it would be cool to start a thread like this to jab a stick in their eye. I'm fortunate enough to finally have my debt under control, nearly eliminated so buying these toys and comics does not require any real sacrifice financially anymore. However due to the way I earn a living, which is driving a semi truck over the road five days a week, there is no way I will tolerate driving the circuit of local retailers over and over for weeks on end to find what I want.

So my solution has been to buy on line like 90% of the time , but now I'm about to go 100%. There's already a $400 cushion above my required F-U pad in my account, so when the Universe/Classics 2.0 and Animated are up for prorder its done and done.

I know all of us have different circumstances and responsibilities and can't do this but, if those of us that can started doing this it wouldn't take long for these ass holes to figure out they need to find some other fandom to pray upon.

As far as missing the hunt goes HA! Whats to miss? I gotta tell ya, coming home to big brown boxes full of robots every couple of weeks is sweet. It beats the hell out of driving to those same stores in the same order to find the same disorganized, bare bones, scavenger picked isles full of nothing but disappointment yet again, all while paying a premium for the gas to do your weekly exercise in futility.

Basically my logic is to let them spend all there money on what they perceive to be toys they can easily flip for a quick profit, and then let them sit on them and see there is no longer much of a market or demand for said toys. It wont take long for them to call it a day and move on to greener pastures.

So what due you think? Is my logic sound, and could we get a movement going so all on board could initiate this practice for Universe/Classics2.0 and or animated?

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that's something I basically already do. I preorder a lot of my stuff through BBTS and if I happen to see it at my Target when I'm stocking shelves first I'll buy it there instead (it's cheaper from work w/my 10% discount instead of the $2 to $10 markup BBTS will put on some TFs).

Still not sure why the fandom resorts to eBay so much for the newest items anyways when they can preorder from a reputable site (and BBTS doesn't charge you card or account untill the item arrives in their warehouse). And if people don't want to preorder they should still wait until the item saturates the market.

I mean, when it comes right down to it... we're the ones whom feed the scalpers. Collectors I mean. Frankly, I don't have much of a beef with them myself simply because as long as I've been collecting various toys (since the mid 90's) I know that scalpers are a part of the hobby and you've just got to learn how to beat them at their own game. Personally, the only reason I think a lot of peeps in this fandom (Transformers) are so enraged about it right now is because this is the first time that this fandom as a whole have had to deal with scalpers. Seriously, before the movie Transformers really didn't have a lot of 'scalpable' items and usually no shortage of characters unless they simply hadn't hit your area yet and if you were patient you'd find what you wanted, but now we have more people interested in our hobby and that translates to more people wanting said items and less to go around. Scalpers jump on that kind of stuff. What it really comes down to is that you've got to learn to beat these guy's at their own game and either wait until you find it or preorder the item for a slight mark-up (less of a mark-up than scalpers). I learned a lot of patience chasing down Power Rangers figures when that show first came out as a kid in the early 90's and my parents refused to by from those guys that would sell out of the back of their vans for three to four times the market value. You know what, I did eventually get the entire collection (still have it in the attic too) and my parents never spent a dime over retail... which taught me not to pay over MSRP for ANYTHING unless it's an older item you can no longer find in the stores.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to get that out their sense a lot of the scalper hate seems to really be misdirected in my opinion. Seriously guys, don't hate the scalpers for taking advantage of stupid collectors... hate the stupid collectors who'll pay unreasonable amounts of money to these guys and thus fuel the fire.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Even if the entire Fandom would switch to online buying there would still be scalpers and people buying scalped items. Parents would still buy the toys from them because they're not gonna go online and apparently people only know about ebay for these items. People will still buy store exclusives scalped also.

Scalping is just a part of the modern shopping experieince now so we just need to get over the fact that 'OMG Scalpers sucks so lets all bitch and moan about it', and move on with our lives.

Believe me, its a problem that I hate too, but all these hair brained schemes are not gonna 'solve' the scalping problem.

4. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I pre-order a few things but I love the hunt. I drive a car for a living also and I know what you mean when you don't like driving the retail circuit.

5. taterx

Excuse me SMKSPY you ck smkr, why is the scheme hair brained and why is it wrong to F w/ a group of people who are clearly Fing w/ us? I'll waste my time on my rubbish crusade thank you.

There you go KA cleened it up for ya.:wink: 

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    "cock smoker"? what are you? junior high?

7. taterx

No I'm a huge Jason Mewes fan. Though I am a bit immature.

8. taterx

Anyway back on track, does anybody here w/ walyworld pull know for sure that MP Starscream will only be available in stores and never offered on walmart.com?

If so it's tuff tity for me kitty cause unless I happen upon one while in a store I 'll just have to pass. No $100 markup willy for me on that toy.

9. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:

HUH?

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Ugh.

11. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    c4n u spel b3tt3r pl0x? n use teh grammerz.

Just get your name on the list in the Junkion. Almost anyone here is just as reliable as BBTS or any of those other stores.

12. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well for me i love going for the hunt to diffrent stores. I mean its a hassel sometimes but i do it mostly when im going somewhere anyways so why not go to wally world to get a new transformer. THANK GOD i live in arkansas and there is always enough transfomers to go around. the only thing i have not found in retail is the 6in ultra magnus. Me personally ive never seen a scalper and ive been collecting for 5 yrs now. But i have been thinking of preordering some stuff in the future.

13. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Many Ebayers and BBTS are basicly scalpers as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with Ebay or BBTS but really buying online isn't really solving the unsolvable problem. Its just adding to it, which you may have to do if no other avenue is available to you. Really the Screamer is a Walmart Exclusive so BBTS is getting theirs from Walmart and then marking them up.

Remember not that long ago when G1 Jazz hit target. Ebay had them for $50+ dollars those first couple weeks, then the market got flooded.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I was thinking when BBTS was first mentioned in this thread (second post was it?). They get some of (not sure if it is all or not) of their stock from people going out and buying up stock from retail stores...so wouldn't that be fueling the fire?

15. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    True, and I've found G1 Jazz at Target several times during that. Jeeze, hindsight is 20/20. I could've made up for some of the prices I've paid for MP Starscream. I've bought two for me, and one for a friend. I bought them all for a markup, simply because I HATE shopping at Wal-Mart in person and WILL pay to buy them and not have to go there or have to drive there. For some items, I'm willing to do that, others HELL NO!

As for online shopping, it isn't any better. I wouldn't be so disrespectful to say BBTS is a "scalper" as I've had some of the best online customer service from them. They have a markup because they buy at RETAIL price, not the MSRP price that much larger online shops do. Yes, some of their prices go up when demand goes up.

16. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm afraid I do on occasion use ebay and buy from people who I guess are defined as scaplers. My only excuse is the exchange rate between the UK and US. I just bought Best Buy Ratchet and Megatron and G1 Movie Starscream for $135 shipped thats about £65. The standard versions of Ratchet and Megatron and Starscream (havent seen the G1 colours yet) come to £60. Then I have to put up with no bis or techspecs which I consider an important part of the toy whole.

I'm annoyed to be paying a 100% mark up on what are essentially second hand items, but considering at least 2 of the 3 will never get released over here and packaging issues I just have to live with it.

17. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Yeah, this thread basically says: Don't buy from scalpers on Ebay! Buy from scalpers like BBTS.

DER!!! :dunce 

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The obvious way to beat the scalpers is to buy up every Transformer toy at the stores you go to. Every. Single. One. That way the scalpers can't get any of them to scalp.

But obviously you can't keep all those toys, 'cause you can't afford them and it wouldn't be right to hoard anyways. So sell 'em on eBay, that way the parents that really want to get them for their kids will be able to, even though they couldn't get them at the stores ('cause you had to stop the scalpers).

And if those parents get into a bidding war and you make some money off of the toys, well, that's not your fault.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This thread is even funnier than the Shia Labeouf one.

20. wetwithwaterwings

wetwithwaterwings Well-Known Member

i only hunt via bicycle. that way no money is wasted on gas, and i get to have fun on my bike in the process.