My concerns worries

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here is what I'm concerned with regarding this game:
    -Short storymode
    -Lack of info. For a game supposedly due this summer we haven't heard much.
    -No solid due date.
    -The cast. I had a chance to read the TCC article and they mention they used obscure characters for gameplay purposes. If that's the case, guys like Jazz and Prowl will probably get the shaft. I don't mind obscure (Ex: Warpath) but not at the expense of established characters that play a huge role. I keep getting this feeling that the only big names we'll get will be Prime, Ratchet, Bee, Ironhide, Megs, the 3 Seekers and Soundwave.
    - Small roster. Add maybe one to 3 obscure characters to the above list and there's the roster.

2. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may as well focus your concerns on things you can change. It's not like any of us are going to be able to magically get the game developers to do the game "the right way".

Whatever "the right way" is supposed to be.

3. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Oh I know that. I was just making observations and wanted to see what everyone else may think as well. If the game ends up being bad it won’t bother me. I’ll just save money.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I, too, hope the story isn’t too short. However, games these days seem to be a bit long on story. This game does have two stories from the start, the Decepticon campaign, which is said to be the first half of the arc, and the Autobots, which is the final half. In these stories we have Megatron coming to power, Starscream and Megatron’s first meeting. Optimus Prime, coming into power as well as the cause of the division between the Autobots and the Decepticons. We were told in interviews that both Optimus and Megatron feel they’re doing what is right for Cybertron and its people—there’s a story here. I think we’ll get our moneys worth. The fact that fans are behind it, gives me hope that we’ll get even a little more.

Lack of info is a bit scary, but we did have a whole month of non-stop info, which, imho, is more than any other game before this.

How many games actually give solid due dates? Hiccups happen. Better to give something tentative than to disappoint your potential buyers. FFXIII’s delays have actually put me off from buying it. I have actually lost interest in the game and possibly the whole series for that matter now.

I hate it when I know everything about a game/story before I even buy it. Not knowing a whole lot about the game: its story and the players that shape it are both a blessing and a curse. Finding the right balance is vital to a good story, and that’s what I hope we get, a story. I don’t want a game meant to drive toy sales.

We can only hope that the characters chosen have it within them to drive the story. I would be surprised if the game doesn’t have its share of non-playable characters (well-known ones) that have a role to play directly or indirectly in some form. Even Shockwave, who hardly had an appearance in the cartoon, had an important role to play.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Lack of info? not really something that should be complained about. yeah it's out this year, but so are other games we know even less about (the new zelda, for instance). They'll release info when they feel like it. they're probably saving most reveals for E3, where they can make a big splash.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    We, as TF fans, are so used to near-constant streams of new information coming out that it's only natural we take notice when there isn't. It's not a bad thing and is something you should get over. Not everybody shows off every aspect of a game or movie before realease.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heh, yeah, right.

As if we don't know the new Zelda will be delayed 10000 times like every other big Nintendo release.

8. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

Wfc doesn't need the sort of publicity machine a game like The Old Republic might warrant, and as mentioned, they'll unveil at one of the summer trade shows.

As far as concerns go, it's highly unlikely to be a 40-hour RPG epic with a cast of dozens. The muli-platform release is always a good indication not to expect Baldur's Gate: Cybertron. If we get an entertaining gears of war knockoff with a half decent toyline and the chance of sequels, I'll be happy with that.

These kind of games generally aren't epoch-making works of brilliance simply because they're aimed at a wide market, albeit a wide market within a niche hobby.

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Good points, but the PS3 and 360 version should be at least a little long. I can understand the Wii version being short. My biggest concern is the choice of characters. I really see Jazz and Prowl getting the shaft along with some other characters. We already know from the IGN article that Shockwave doesn’t play a role in the story mode. That’s pretty scary that a big time player like him isn’t involved at all.

10. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

It is the start of the war apparently so we can take it as some characters don't show up alongside whomever until later, which does not bother me. I'm more conerned that it won't be a decent game with a good solid story.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    A lack of info? We got bombarded with info earlier this month.

12. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    War is an enterprise where being in the right place at the right time can make or break a career. Look at Hot Rod - prior to the '86 movie he was a nobody.

There's no reason why other G1 characters won't be toiling away in obscurity during the start of the war itself - and this is assuming they're already alive during this period.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not to enthused from what we've seen so far. I'm hoping E3 will show something more...I dunno, interesting?

14. chugway

Yeah, but define 'interesting' - I think a lot of the problem is that the gaming TF fanbase is divided between action freaks, hardcore rpg lovers and strategy addicts. Same as the non-tf collecting gaming fanbase really.*

As such it's always likely to leave 2 thirds of us a bit cold on first impressions. Hopefully it'll be good enough to break through the genre barrier.

*yes there is always some retard who claims that solitaire or pizza tycoon or whatever is their favorite game ever, but they don't count thankfully.

15. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Don't let the lack of a solid due date concern you. If it's due out this summer, now is too early to have a specific release date. Having worked in the entertainment software industry, I know firsthand that there's an endless variety of factors that can make setting a specific date this far out very difficult.

16. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Lack of info? There was a barrage of info earlier this month. Most games start their blitz of info shortly before the release. We've had two trailers and dev coverage... more will be revealed at trade shows.
    Most games today don't have a solid due date more than a few months in advance... this is due to debugging, game testing etc. Trust me, this is good... it means the devs goal is not to meet a ship date, but rather, finish the game.
    The cast - You have to think as more than a fan here. Would you rather each character be a selectable skin, that all play the same, or that each character be individual? You also have to consider that each character in this game has not just a bot mode, but has to transition from bot to vehicle. And it has to look good. So as far as programming goes, each character is really 2. Doing 5 characters is really like doing 10. Be glad they focused on giving major players their due. The characters you've named ARE the big names. Not all TFs are big names even if you like them.
    The roster is not small... more than 5 selectable individual characters per side is a rather large roster. Think of it... even in a game like Mass effect 2, there are only 6 classes of warrior... this, the first game in a series, will feature at least 10, not to mention multiplayer.
    Define a little long. If it takes 10-15 hours to beat, that's long enough. You can't expect this to be as long as a Fallout 3 or Mass Effect, most shooters fall under 20 hours. Jazz, Prowl, and Shockwave SHOULD appear, but while I like them, it is not necessary to cloud the story with too much... If they played a major role and were unplayable people would whine and bitch. Shockwave is not a major player. In g1 comics yes. But even in g1 cartoons he was only a bit player, a glorfied whipping boy. After that, when has he had a major appearance? It wasn't till Animated that he was really a character again. Energon Shockblast was NOT Shockwave. So in toy form, and cartoon form, there was basically, with a few exceptions, a 20 year gap between his appearances. He is not a big time player.

Your expectations for this may be too high. I'm hoping for solid gameplay, a decent story, and good multiplayer. People want 20 characters per side, a 60 hours story mode, the ability to scan new vehicle modes... Be realistic people. Good game first... than expansion of that in a sequel IF the game is good enough.

17. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    If this is a prequel to a new series, they can't really muck around too much with whoever is going to be the main cast of the show in case they contradict future information and it ceases to be canon.

18. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Well you make some very strong arguments however, I am sure things will work out in the end.

the single campaigns may be relatively short by them selves however, I would imagine that combined they will make a range of 8 to 10 hours, which for most over the shoulder shooters, such as Gears of War 2 and Uncharted 2, this is pretty normal.

The thing that gives me hope for this game is the fact that they are not trying to reinvent the wheel. Rather they are taking a preexisting graphic and game engine (Unreal engine) and simply modifying it to suit the world of the Transformers. In addition the game has been in development since at least September 2008 which gives them enough time to make a solid game.

As for the cast, I am sure the playable characters will be limited however, that does not mean you still won’t SEE your favorite Transformer in the game.

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, some straight up gameplay videos instead of pre-rendered CGI trailers would be a nice start.

20. chugway

I know what you mean, but generally speaking, in-game footage out of context doesn't generate as much hype as a cinematic trailer showing off large chunks of the cast in one go, with a dramatic character reveal or two. I'm quietly optimistic this will end up being a fun 8/10 game, rather than a slightly uninspiring 6 or 7. Who can tell at this stage though.

Anyway, with the current gen of gfx hardware, if we're really lucky the in-game stuff won't be a million miled away from the FMV...