My computer crashed....

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme V, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V I protect those I care 4

alright, well, somehow a virus or something managed to get into my desktop, and now, first of all it won't boot up unless I place the Vista disk in there, and when I do, I only have the option of installing it...sort of. As when I go to install it somewhere, the normal HDD doesn't show up anywhere and I honestly don't think that it's even working...does anyone have a remedy for this? or can it be fixed at all? Though I don't know much about the insides of a computer, so maybe it's still there, at least I'm hoping it is...

sucks too because I had everything on there...and didn't get my external HD in time in order to back up everything...I'm pissed

so can anyone sorta help me?

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you checked your BIOS settings to make sure drives etc are set up properly? That would be my first port of call.

3. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

youll probably get more replies in the tech forum.

4. Omega Supreme V

there's a tech forum?

I thought that was only for forum issues though....sorry, I didn't know..

and what should be the correct BIOS settings? as I said, I'm unsure about how to work that part of a computer ;-/

5. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

My bad the video games and technology forum.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

if you have another computer, try putting the hard drive into that computer as a slave drive...and see if the drive shows up there...if it doesn't, then there's a possibility that the hard drive drive itself is dead.

7. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    This.

Make sure to change your jumper settings to make it a slave. If it does show up and is accessible then there might be something wrong either with the connection to the motherboard or the motherboard itself. The latter = time for a new motherboard.

8. Omega Supreme V

alright, I'll try that with my dad's computer then, as all we have is that and a laptop...thanks everyone

also, what could cause this? a virus? or something else, because I've been experiencing BSOD on that computer for a while too...wondering if maybe they're connected somehow..

9. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    BSOD..... Does it say fatal error?

10. Omega Supreme V

maybe, it happened as recently as about three days ago though, but I don't remember, why, is that bad?

11. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

Hmm did you move or bump the tower during operation at all? Did you get anything besides BSODs? Like "memory could not be referenced at blah blah blah". With the BSOD's and the fact that the computer's not picking up the HD at all it sounds like it might have gotten some bad sectors and died.

Just in case it is a virus make sure the comp you hook it up to has a good set of av/spyware/etc programs beforehand.

12. Omega Supreme V

I just found the post I made regarding the BSOD, here -
    Code:
    Hi, um, I was wondering if anyone can help...my computer keeps on encountering the "Blue Screen of Death" I don't know what's causing it, but it's been like this for a week or so now..

this is what the problem details when I get this thing started back up :

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 50
    BCP1: F8413334
    BCP2: 00000001
    BCP3: 824E190A
    BCP4: 00000002
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini070108-01.dmp
    C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-102125-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6548.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409

I don't think I really ever bumped it enough to dislodge anything and as for the wording on the actual BSOD, I can't honestly remember because I never paid much attention to it...stupid of me I know, but I thought nothing of it... :( 

13. Omega Supreme V

okay, so I'll be doing this tomorrow, I was just wondering, would it be possible to get the files off of that drive if it does indeed work?

14. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If that doesn't work, there's always cocaine.

15. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not a virus. Even with an old-fasioned boot sector virus, the drive would still show up in the Vista setup. (It would just be shown as "unpartitioned space") You, my friend, have some sort of hardware problem - either with your hard drive or your controller (card or motherboard). (Or the connections in-between)

If you have a newer computer that came pre-loaded with Vista (I'm assuming) then you would more than likely have a SATA hard drive. SATA hard drives do not have a "slave" setting. If you wanted to attach it to another computer, then that computer would have to have a SATA controller itself - in other words, it would basically have to be a newer computer as well.

Your first step would be to make sure whether the hard drive is being seen by BIOS. When your computer boots up, one of the earliest screens will likely say something like "Press del to enter setup" (Or F1 or F2 or whatever) You hit whatever key it says and using the arrow keys on your keyboard you can navigate around the menus - hitting enter to go down into a menu and escape to rise back up a level. Try not to change any settings. If you think you mucked up any settings you can always hit escape a few times and you'll get asked something like "Exit without saving?" - you would say "yes". (Or, if it asked "Save changes?" you would say "no".) Anyway, if you poke around you can find a menu that lists the drives the BIOS sees. If you see an entry for "HDD1: WDblahblah" or somesuch then it would appear your computer sees the hard drive. Conversely, if it said something like "HDD1: <not installed>" then maybe your drive has gone AWOL. In that case you would have to go inside, identify the hard drive and verify it had its power and data connections firmly attached.

As you can imagine, this can all get pretty complicated - with lots of ifs and thens. If your computer is from a major OEM that has phone support, it wouldn't hurt to call them, especially if you're still under warranty. Or you could take it to a computer geek - either professional or amateur. Circuit City has a service called Firedog and Best Buy has something too. I've never used any service like that, so I have no feel for quality. I'll leave it to other posters to weigh in on whether Firedog or Geeks on Call are any good.

My own hard drive started acting up three days ago. In normal mode it would freeze at points where a particular section of the drive was being used (in other words from 10 seconds to two minutes after boot). The drive had been noisy for about six months, so I suspected it right away. It behaved better in Safe Mode (less stuff is loaded) and even seemed to tolorate me accessing the secondary partition without freezing (so I was able to catch up my backups) - but it would still freeze sometimes. I booted my computer off of a bootable Knoppix CD I had and it ran flawlessly for over a day, which ruled out the processor or RAM, etc. I tried to format and reload my C: partition and the installation would fail right after copying files and at the point where it would be starting to read the files to continue setup. I got a new hard drive and connected it to the SATA1 controller port and moved my old hard drive to SATA4. I managed to reload successfully and get my data copied over (like my Steam games) and now I'm settling back in to my "new" environment. Plus side is the whole process jettisoned all of the cruft that had built up in my OS over the last couple of years.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  16. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

17. Omega Supreme V

thanks PeolesDru, {This is going be my memory, because I already have unplugged it and placed it in my car to take to either Circuit City or Best Buy, or a friend that works with this}, or if I see it as a cheaper solution, simply purchase another HD and make that into the Master Drive, while making the current one the Slave, which should work hopefully

so..
    It lists the Master IDE and a Slave IDE {which there is none} and then a Secondary Master IDE, iirc, which has listed the HD

when I go to the BIOS, it says that I have
    [1] Floppy disk Drive
    [2]{essentially my DVD Drive}
    [3]what looks to be the actual HD or something similar

in that order
    hopefully I can get this fixed...or at least rescue all the crap I had on the HD

18. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the drive is showing up in BIOS, then that at least means that the electronics are functioning. So that's hopeful. But it's the platters and heads (a so-called "head crash") that is the more common issue. It can be frequently identified by the drive making god-awful noises. I'm glad you're taking it to someone who hopefully has the experience and tools to give your data the best chance of being recovered.

Even if the drive crashed, you can still recover your data by sending the drive to a data recovery service. Money has to be "no object" with that kind of thing, though: it's expensive.

As you've already indicated you know: You've got to keep important data on at least two separate devices and verify the integrity of the data - as frequently as your paranoia dictates. If you keep your data in one place, it WILL eventually be in zero places. Or more broadly: If you keep your data in n places, it WILL eventually be in n-1 places (where n is any integer greather than zero) The key is to make n>1. How's that for pedantic?

Good luck!

19. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Have you tried using the sata/raid drivers when you put in the vista disc? Some boards require you to load these drivers before the OS installation/repair will pick up your drive.

20. Uncrazimatic

Uncrazimatic Uncrazimatic Bore

i dont know if this will help, but when my joint wouldnt load up right, i bought an external harddrive enclosure and pull the hd out and was able to save all the info on it, put it back in the computer when i was done then reformatted it, now im back to downloading more pron. yay.