my comp is being a jerk.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by grunge, Dec 31, 2011.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    hi as stated in thread title my computer is giving me some trouble and an once again stuck using my wii for internet purposes.
    the issue at hand:

the first time i had this issue was maybe before thanksgiving but am not sure. i was on the internet watching videos on youtube. i closed internet explorer and i got the loading ring when it closed. (you know the mouse becomes the loading ring) so i waited. and waited some more. having needed to go to bed for work, i turned the computer off manually, which i knew was wrong but i couldnt leave it on all night either. the next day my sibling had used the computer, and claims everything was fine with it when they turned it on. when i turned it on it was locked in the start screen displaying e with del - start up f12 for boot menu. i tried both options and i evn let it sit on the meantioned screen to see what would happen. well, the thing wouldnt go into windows at all. i had sent it to the repair company my warrenty covers it under, (acer repair in TX). becuase on the ameritrends screen that came up it said 3rd master harddrive error. so i sent it away got it back 10 days later only to find in the return slip that it had no problems. i set it back up, turn it on and it loads up just fine. and foa few days it was fine but then it began locking again and i got the blue screen of death. i restart like it askes and since then, the past week, it freezes up and it shuts down. it wont load at all as described above, however, when off for awhile lets say an hour, when i go to turn it on it loads the screan that displays the options to start in safe mode command prompt etc.

before i go on any further:
    windows 7 home edition 64 bit
    amd athlon II x2 220 dualcore processor
    Nvidia GeForce 6150 se graphics
    dvd super multidrive
    1tb hard drive
    3gb ddr3 memory
    multi in 1 media card reader

those are my system specs. if that helps.
    i was thinking i should do a system restore, but what extactly does system restore do?

also does anyone have any idea whats wrong with my computer?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sound like the HDD is starting to fail.

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    ok ... whats an HDD?

4. X-Arachnis

X-Arachnis Well-Known Member

Hard Disc Drive what all your software, programs and pr0n are stored on.

5. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    i dont store pr0n. infact to this day ive never downloaded always watched for free i swear!

really my harddisc may be dying? i just bought this comp in october of this year.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hard drives are iffy.
    i bought external hard drives to back up my files and have had them die either immediately or for no apparent reason.

i can't wait for Solid State Drives to come down in price... *fingers crossed* they have no moving parts, they are like flash drives but bigger.

7. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hard drives can go out within a short amount of time, or they can last you a long while. Its not surprising if the hard drive is going out. If you have anything of importance, back it up, then try a reformat of the hard drive and reload of the operating system. A system restore only puts your system back to a certain date. It won't resolve any hardware issues you're facing. Try the reformat and reload and see how it goes. If nothing improves, or if it stays the same or gets worse.....get another hard drive.

Same here. I would love to have a solid state drive in my PC........

8. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah SSD'd are great. Event he newer hybrids are pretty good. Unfortunatly the flooding in thailand has skyrocketed the prices for HDD's. You should still be able to get a 1tb HDD for a hundred or less.

9. GetterRobo

GetterRobo Well-Known Member

Well, I would like a crack at this.

I had the same issue. My PC would just stall, then crash. Found out it was due to overheating and bad circulation on my system.

However, a little preventive maintenance does the trick.

1. Open your PC and clear out the varmints (dust bunnies that is).
    2. Check hardware connections.
    3. Rearrange the cabling to ensure better airflow... tuck the wires to the sides, never fold SATA cable.
    4. Run your system with the case open for an entire session. After shutting down your PC, restart your system with the case closed... and verify if there is a difference in performance.
    5. Check to make sure all fans are running.
    6. Run in safe mode, and uninstall unneeded software
    7. Run antimalware software.
    8. Don't forget as to what the others have suggested, create backups of your files to a DVD or external drive, and (if your up to the task) a nice clean install of Windows 7... just be sure to have all your drivers available.

10. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

If it was me I would just fdisk reformat and reinstall the OS and be done with it. Basically just put your Windows 7 disk in and follow the directions to reformat the drive and reinstall cause its that simple. Thats what I would do but then again its up to you.