My comp got hit by a virus earlier this evening.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UnicronFTW, Dec 16, 2011.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    'XP Anti-Virus 2012". AVG caught the Trojans while I was browsing TV Tropes, but I wasn't able to do anything about them on account of the virus blocking most every action. It stopped me from browsing the internet and it stopped me from doing a Restore. So I had to turn it off and reboot it in safe mode. Thankfully, I was then able to do a system restore from there. And now all seems well... the virus is now locked away in AVG's virus vault.
    But is there anyway I can make sure the virus is gone for good? Or do I have to wait it out and see? This stuff makes me nervous, and I just want to be sure.

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Now my comp is all kinds of messed up. I have to use safe mode primarilly, since apparently a virus has corrupted a file that can't be removed. The computer is split into seperate partitions, and the other doesn't seem to be effected. But I hate using that partition since it doesn't have an up to date Anti-Virus. Have I mentioned before that I hat computers? Because I do. Loathsome machines...

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Try Malwarebytes Anti-malware. It was always good at getting rid of that stuff. You'll probably need to start up up in safe mode to get it and run it.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do a google search for "XP Anti-Virus 2012". If MBAM and a system restore didn't work, you'll have to do it manually. This will involve deleting files and registry keys, and any number of websites will tell you how to do it.

5. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

If all else fails, I say back up your files if you can and then do a system format. Sometimes its just better to go back to square one. It sucks but better than nothing.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I don't think I'm gonna push getting this computer fixed. I've been saving money on the side to buy a new one anyway.
    And all the Malware is gone it seems, the only corrupted file is one I can't do anything about unless I do it manually, as recommended above. And I'm really not computer literate, and I don't want to make something worse then it already is. I did manage to get some of the important stuff backed up, so since thats accomplished, I'm not gonna sweat over it to much.
    And damn... system format is a pain in the ass. Last time we got a major virus like this, thats we had to do... and then we spent weeks trying to find the right drivers.