My Comic Pet Peeves...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Predakwon, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, this just my rant, but what are your pet peeves in comics?

Mine are:

1. WHY IS MANHATTAN ALWAYS DESTROYED?!? Is drives me bananas! I mean, with the exception of the DCU where Gotham or Metropolis get destroyed, can't they pick another city? LA? Chicago? There are other places on the planet. Mainly this happens every year in the Marvel U.

2. When women are drawn or painted, they are drawn like they are wearing heels, but in the final picture, they're just on their tippy toes. ARGH!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rant over...

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Filler issues. I understand that the TPB format is the big thing now, but if you really don't have enough story for six issues, then you probably need to wait until you do have enough material to make that six-issue story actually interesting.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Decompression - I've been reading through some older comics recently and it's amazing how much story writers and artists used to be able to get in a single issue, yet still keeping up the characterization at the same time.
    - Resurrections, in general. Particularly the two extreme ends of the scale: Resurrections with no/weak explanations (ie - Jason Todd, Barry Allen) and ones where the resurrection method is so convoluted that it requires a massive info-dump to explain and still doesn't make any sense (ie - Bart Allen).
    - Meta-commentary intruding on the story - Superboy Prime's most recent appearance, Superboy Prime in general, Final Crisis in general, etc.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can't stand it when they force versions of the characters from other media onto the comic book continuity.
    Sometimes it makes sense; like adding Harley Quinn and aspects of Christian Bale's Batman costume into the comics.
    Sometimes it doesn't make sense but doesn't hurt either; like when the X-men wore outfits similar to the movies.
    Sometimes it just clouds things and possibly makes retcons like shoehorning elements of Smallville into Superman.
    But at times it is complete ass: like Spider-man's organic web shooters.

5. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

I'm starting to grow very tired of the global scale events in crossovers that dilute the overall appeal of individual characters and their books. Dark Reign is a good example of this. It's like the comic book equivalent to X-Men: The Last Stand (or is that what Ultimatum was?).

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Actually Chicago was put under fire in G.I.Joe America's Elite. And Seattle was the base of operations for iron man during Heroes Return. Spider-man even had a brief stint in Portland. It does happen but remember, NYC was where these characters were created and originally living so it just seems wierd to relocate them.

7. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Ditto on resurrections. Final Crisis spoilers (as if you didn't know), but I don't fear one second for Bruce Wayne's life. He's too big. Big, Hell, if it weren't for Superman, Batman, and that hot piece of tail from Themyscira that I hear so much about, I submit that the DC universe wouldn't even exist right now.

They were stupid to even try it unless they had made up their minds ONE HUNDRED PERCENT that he was gone forever. Which they would never do, both because the fanboys who don't think seventy years of constant adventure is enough for one character* would burn their houses down, and because it would lose them approximately 1.57 metric shitloads of cash.

Seriously, if they ever kill a major character and swear on their mothers' graves that he or she is permanently gone, I would become a regular customer simply on principle. But they won't, because that's not how the industry works. They brought back Jason Todd, for God's sake. The one character they LEFT UP TO US whether to kill or let live. So much for the power of the consumer.

I had a dream the other night that they killed off Superman. Not like in the 90s where it was part of an elaborate publicity stunt. I mean them literally and permanently laying to rest the most iconic superhero of all time and the single greatest example of what a superhero should be. I couldn't believe it. I honestly didn't think they'd have the guts to do it. It was what the character deserved: one last epic sendoff. But it was just a dream. They'd never be that brave. They're too busy being rich.

*Yes, I realize that the Batman from Detective Comics #27 is not the same being we follow now, but who do you really think you're kidding? They're the same character and you know it.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't like resurrections when they fall into Scantron's reasons above.
    I would think that say, the Devil says Mary Jane and Peter Parker never got married so now Harry Osborne is somehow alive is perhaps the worst example of this.

But I don't hold it against the major publishers for not permanently removing their core characters.
    I don't think they should just kill Batman just so they can say they killed Batman.

However, its up to the writers to work in situations where you feel like characters do have actual jeopardy.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Two words: Rob Liefeld.

B-but All-Star Superman...

10. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Marvel's one "fallback" plot.

It always comes down to registration.

Then they never, ever, actually explore the interesting consequences of it.

For example, somehow, in defiance of all (even comic book) logic, they passed legislation that compelled people without any powers to register with the government.

What?! How does that even work? Even in a comic book world, where a lot of stuff can be hand-waved, that one's really nonsensical. What was the criteria? Hawkeye is a guy with a bow. If he wants to walk around and stop a crime in progress if he happens to come across one I can't think of a single way to stop him, legislatively. And if they want to draft people with exceptional skills into the government, I'd hate to be Michael Phelps. He's going to be given a gaudy costume and get called "The Swimmer" or something.

And of course, the notion of passing laws that effect only a portion of a population with specific genetic traits is a can of worms one could build interesting stories on for years. No civil rights court cases came about? Not one? Aren't Marvel's continual registration things effectively "Mutant Jim Crow" laws? The ACLU hasn't gone berserk? Anything?

No racist groups (like the Sons of the Serpent) have even tried to then get additional legislation passed against any minority group? They suddenly have been given legal precedent.

If they're always going to fall back to the same plotline, at least try something new with it.

- Coeloptera

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Dude, that was one weird rant. Everyone knows Bruce isn't dead and is coming back evnetually (except for the DC Universe). I don't see why so many readers don't act like this isn't a stunt like the death of Superman. Hell, Superman's seemed more real because you didn't have the internet back, and DC was much better at controlling the event and the news about it.

Now I would like to say that if it were for GL and Flash that the big three would have had a harder time regaining the popularity they had lost in the late 40/early 50s. I'm not saying that they wouldn't be around, but a big generally sweeping statement that "the DC universe wouldn't even exist right now" without them is completely false.

12. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Ditto on the ressurections. I've only been glad to see two people come back from the great beyond: Superman and Raven. Everyone else should have stayed dead.

13. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

I just want my Nightwing back.

14. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Why would DC kill off Superman or Batman for real? Seems like a dumb move to me. I mean,call me crazy,but I purchase and read DC comics largely because of those two heroes.

15. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Hell starting with early 200s of Iron Man, they all took place in California.

16. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

In Marvel: The fact that no matter what either the X-Men or Spider-Man do, they're still hunted at various times of their careers (Spider-Man's still in trouble with both the NYPD and HAMMER forces) while the X-Men have been outlaw for a good portion of this decade as well as in the past (Operaton Armegeddon, Project: Wideawake, Operaton: Zero Tolerance, Dark Reign, etc), Marvel Zombies
    DC: The fact that Superman is now a outlaw due to Luthor and General Lane's conspiracy, the fact that prices are getting out of hand (though DC tpb's are cheaper than Marvel's)

17. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Hey, you shelter mass-murdering child-killers on your lawn and see how much heat you get from the feds.

Honestly, it is possible to cogently argue that the X-men function as some sort of mutant-based extremist group almost as much as the Brotherhood, just with a different MO. Ever notice how often they secretly go out and "handle" mutant-related threats?

When Apocalypse makes trouble, it's "their" problem to handle, as if saying the flatscans should stay out of it. Oh, and they did sort of contribute to Inferno. They kidnap people, almost never do "typical" super-hero stuff like stop robberies or do disaster relief, to say nothing of the secret death squad they now have in X-Force.

I mean, taking away the "mutant" angle, the X-Men, as a group, may very well still merit being hunted purely because of their actions.

- Coeloptera

18. kidnicky

Yeah,having the government be OK with the X-Men would make no sense at all. That period of time where they were like honorary muntant cops or whatever was just awkward,IMO.

19. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Resurrections on the whole really, because of how they cheapen the actions of characters. One in particular is Colossus; his death was supposed to be a noble sacrifice to save the rest of mutantkind, and they cheapen it by bringing him back in Astonishing X-Men.

The same with Jason Todd in Batman, because his death was always a motivator for Bruce... But having him back as the new Red Hood just doesn't make much sense to me. Has he even done anything since 52?

And now, after killing off Captain America at the end of Civil War, they're just going to bring him back like it was nothing? Anyone else feel a little cheated by that, or have we all gotten used to them doing this?

20. kidnicky

I can't really feel cheated since Cap was actually dead a lot longer than I predicted. I mean,seriously,if you really thought he's actually die......