my collection is gone...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by knockoff, Jan 21, 2011.

1. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Sadly, for money. His toy collection is pretty much priceless. Ugh, hate to hear about what happened to your collection. Can't trust anybody these days.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Human beings suck.

3. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    DAMN! i want to find that guy and give him a piece of my mind & fist

4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    what an awful experience. Sympathies man

5. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    That's terrible!

6. dkr7

dkr7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    really sucks to here this, somethings cant be replaced no matter the cost cause of the memories the item brings you

7. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it happened recently keep your eye on EBAY for "Lots" that look similar to your collection. The thieves probably don't know much about TFs and will try to make a quick buck off of them. also check local pawn shops or comic book shops. I know there is a report you can fill out at pawn shops and they keep an eye out for your stolen stuff.

All I can say is that sucks man.

8. Rookbartley

Rookbartley Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    From experience, DO NOT store your toys in a storage facility. We suffered a break-in about two years ago. My renters insurance covered most of it but here's the kicker. The night before I knew the unit had been broken into, I'm at Walmart and find some older toys...some Alternators, Energon, stuff like that. I end up taking pictures of them and even bought the Alternators. If you guessed I was buying my own stuff...well ding ding ding. Next day, get the report of the break-in. About 7 units total were basically ripped open. Hell they couldn't even get our lock off. And after going through my manifest, we realized the toys that I found at Walmart were mine. And we actually found my stuff at every Walmart and Meijer in town. I'm talking stuff like Spy Troops GI Joe. Coincidence it showed up at a store at the same time it went missing from my unit? I ended up buying back a ton right then and there. What happened was the people who stole my stuff returned it to the stores, with no receipt and got store credit. And they flashed out of state ID's that weren't valid. Long story short, thankfully I had insurance, Walmart was extremely unhelpful in the investigation, and I will no longer keep any of my toys offsite.

9. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I can sypathize as well, my house got broken into while I was renovating it (I had over a year from when I bought it to when I started living there). They took some power tools and that was it, my collection had just been brought out of storage and placed in the garage and they didn't touch the toys, just the tools. But, the place was broken into. While I wasn't there. That's my home, my sanctuary, the place where I keep my most prized possessions and even now that I'm living there, I'm still paranoid. Or maybe not, after all, it's only paranoid if it HASN'T happened. Incidently, I did not have any problems while my stuff was in storage (although I was going there pretty frequently as well). Anyway, you've definately got my sympathies, and I really hope that insurance or some other means enables you to reacquire the collection that was taken from you.

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Damn, the theives caused you to buy your own stuff again from Walmart! That's messed up! Like feeding bacon to a pig messed up!

11. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    sorry to hear about this!! Thats sucks dude!!! I have most of my collection in storage also. What is public storage gonna do about this? They need to pay u for this!!! What kind of security do they have? Maybe its an inside job...a worker there might have done it? Do they have it on security camera? I hate ghetto low life people taking from others!!!

12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This has got to be one of the most awful stories I have heard in a while. I am so sorry for you man as many have echoed. There is almost nothing to say to comfort you either, but hang in there.

This is also a fear of mine for my own collection whther it be stolen, or some other kind of tragedy (fire, flood, etc.). Maybe a thread could be started for anyone who has ideas about insuring their collections. I know many companies are reluctant to insure "collections" as many collectibles are hard to value or put a price on. I keep a tally of the figures I own on a spreadsheet and their "replacement" value. My homeowners insurance may cover some of it if something were to happen, but I doubt I would get full value. I would be happy to pay a reasonable monthly fee to insure my collection. Does anyone know of anyone that will do this?

13. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have most of my TF collection in a climate storage unit. But the place is surrounded with a chain-link fence with barb wire on top.

It also has a security gate where you have to punch in a code for it to open. The gate is kept shut from 10 pm to 6 am every night. The place also has security cameras and the storage manager lives inside the place in a cottage.

But I'm planning to move my stuff out of there just to save money every month. When my dad passed away five months ago, we cleaned out his work shop and so I will store my stuff in there.

14. Rookbartley

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Doug, that basically describes the place I had...security code for the front gate, the gate was always closed, we were in an interior building that an additional security code, fence, wire, etc. Unfortunately for me, it still didn't matter.

15. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

That's awful. Once my dad's collection of rare NBA cards was stolen from storage.
    Update us if you find out anything, your collection sounds pretty valuable. Was your entire collection in there or do you only have what you got recently?
    I hope those idiots are arrested.

16. Rookbartley

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    2 things happened once we realized stores had my stuff. 1) Some stores held the merchandise in question in the security office and were able to sell it back to me once my insurance check came in. They couldn't just give it to me because even though we all knew it was mine, there was no way to be 100 percent sure. Yeah, like those 8 year old GI Joe's and Star Wars figures were someone else's. 2) I had to buy the stuff immediately upon pulling it from the shelves as some of the stores (Walmart) didn't even care.

Just check that renters insurance or homeowners insurance to see how much you are covered for offsite storage.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am not too sure about your area, but if i walked up to my storage unit and the lock appeared to have been tampered with, i would not have touched it.

the storage unit manager/owner would have been called and the cops as well.

just as a precaution.

man, am sorry for the loss and the way someone pretty much violated your sense of security.

18. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Damn.. that really sucks. Sorry to hear that dude.

19. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 screaming internally

that's horrible! did you call the cops and get them to dust for prints?

20. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

Ebay:
    I hear stories like this now and then, and it just makes me really nervous about the valuable stuff I have in storage. Especially when my great uncle told me "I used to work at a Public Storage, and I wouldn't trust them for anything"