My Collecting Days are Over.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, Jun 21, 2012.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I'm out of the game.
    I recently moved to a new house, and in the process of moving, my Transformers were of course boxed up. Nothing happened to them... but... here's the thing. They stayed boxed up. I never cared to touch them again... They quickly became an "out of sight out of mind" kind of thing, and as it turns out... I'm perfectly okay with that.

There are definitely a few things I'm gonna take out and put up on display, ut I just don't care that much anymore.

Plus, I don't have internet at home anymore, so Transformers are becoming really hard to keep track of. With the way things have been lately in the world of TFers, you have to be constantly poised to buy something online or to rush to the store before it disappears. It's becoming a high-stress hobby for a partially OCD person like me.

I still like them, it's just to much to handle now.

So, yeah. I'm still gonna be a valid member of this site, and I'll still keep track of Transformers, I just won't partake of the hobby anymore.

But, so as not to make this thread entirely pointless, I'll offer a discussion topic:
    Have you ever become uninterested in the hobby? If so, did you then quit? If you did, did you ever find yourself becoming interested again?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I was out of being interested in the fandom around the time of Energon. I was the target audience, no less, and I thought it was absolute crap. Where was my beloved Armada? My mini-cons? Why was there a change to crappy CGI?

It wasn't until a chance meeting with a guy who would become a very close friend in high-school and the 2007 movie that I got back into collecting.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    It's not that I'm uninterested, but a few weeks ago I made a promise to myself. Once I get a Cybertron Optimus Prime and a Wing Saber, I'm done for good, and that's a promise that I plan on keeping because honestly, those are the only figures that I really care about having.

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Pretty uninterested in them now. Kinda like how I feel about this thread oh ha zing!

We all go through phases though, your collector ocd will just replace transformers with something else. For me it's 1/6th figs, or records, or comics, or etc etc etc. We can't not own things, it's in our nature.

5. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think about quitting everyday but I'm sort of an import toy seller so it's kind of hard to get completely out. I have a fairly large unorganized collection so I regularly think what's the point of all the toys if I can't see 90% of them.

6. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know what you mean.

I've got an absolute glut of TF's in a storage lock up (along with various other things) as we moved house very recently and had to downsize.
    A couple of hundred were kept on display in the old house.
    Most had been boxed up for years prior to that. I started to hate a collection I had spent years building up.

Slowly working through selling them off.

What I took with me would be considered a large figure by a lot of peoples standards, but they are the creme de la creme of what I own, and I am now hugely hesitant at pulling the trigger and adding to what is on display.

While I am far from leaving the hobby, the whole house move has made me re-evaluate and reconsider what my collection had become.

Like you said, a lot of it is now out of sight and out of mind. Prior to that I was struggling to enjoy any of the figures I own. Which is ludicrous.

Whilst I know I still have to sort out selling off what i no longer need, I am happy to be in a position where owning and having Transformers on display has become a joy again.

The sales of my unwanted figures are helping to pay for the odd gem that I genuinely want to have and keep on display.

7. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im feeling that way with my misb stuff while some of it i will keep most of it will be sold

8. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i keep on saying after i get a figure, i'll stop.

... it hasn't worked out well. there's always something cool i'm going to want.

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I lost interest for a while between TF1 and ROTF.

And that sucks man. It's always unfortunate to see someone lose interest.

10. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I have a lot boxed up as well. Mostly because lack of space. I like seeing new tfs and buying them, but the interest is dying down. When I buy a toy, I transform it once and then put it on display. I don't fiddle with them as much as I used to. Toy depression hurts.

11. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I was big into Jurassic Park figures August '10 but then we moved Last November and it turned out I didn't have enough space to Display all my JP figures and most of them I wasn't too attached to. I ended up selling about 95% of my Jurassic Park collection to a friend for $500
    Which was Most of the movie 1 and 2 vehicles, 1 Chaos Effect vehicle, All of the First Wave movie 1 humans, most of the first wave movie 1 Dinosaurs, All of my Second wave movie 1 figures (2 dinosaurs and most of the humans), all my movie 2 wave 1 vehicles and humans, all but one Movie 2 wave 1 dinosaurs, and all my Chaos Effect and JP/// dinosaurs.

The only Jurassic Park items I kept were the Half-finished Model of the Dilophosaurus from Horizon (Out of Business Vinyl Model Company), An unbuilt Model of the Snagger hummer vehicle from the Lost World (By Revell), The Lost World Board Game, The Lost World Chasmasaur toy (I had this figure as a kid), The Spitter Dilophosaur figure (Something about this figure just feels too awesome to get rid of), and the Jungle Explorer vehicle toy (I reckon It'll be worth something somewhere along the line, especially since its complete)

12. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been fairly uninterested since Prime (the show) began. I tried to stay interested, but the toys and fiction couldn't hold my attention, until I decided to pick up Masterforce and LSotW. They, along with some fan-fiction and FoC trailers, have started to rekindle my interest and I'm starting a "Classics" collection.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  13. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I lost interest awhile ago because my room was becoming a toy store and I had little to no space. After selling more than half my collection I felt at ease for a period of time. I continued to lurk the various news sites and still had liked the cartoons, though. I eventually realized I was missing a piece of me so I slowly rebuilt my collection and now I shop smarter and only buy what I think looks cool oppose to being a completest.

14. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

If you care enough to put a few of them out, your collecting days aren't necessarily done for good.

Lots of us quit, quite a few of us come back.

15. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not planning on completely stopping, but thanks to the unbelievable crappy distribution lately, I've been slowing down (haven't bought a TF in a few months). I am collecting Avengers figures, though, and I want to buy a few Macross figures. When I'm in college in the fall, I'm thinking I'll only buy the figures I really want.

16. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Never flat out quit, but I lost any and all interest in collecting TFs whatsoever whenever there was only movie crap on the pegs and shelves. Animated brought me back and rekindled my interest, but that was gone when Animated ended and we were back to nothing but movie stuff again.

TFP sparked my interest again, and I'm collecting again. But I fully expect to lose interest in collecting yet again once TF4 hits and we're once again swimming in movie crap. Unless what happened with DOTM has caused both Hasbro and retailers to think about things differently. One can hope.

17. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    All my TFs have been binned for almost 10 years now. I don't mind it one bit either. I still buy them every now and then tho.

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yes, yes, and sort of.

I collected and posted here actively from roughly 2001-2007. I started losing interest partly because I wasn't a huge fan of the movie designs, partly because I had a growing family and this is an expensive hobby, and partly because I grew disenfranchised with the way a collection tends to grow and grow out of control, so that it either takes over your house or else you end up with thousands of dollars of toys just sitting in storage. What it ultimately boiled down to was that I had other more important priorities and didn't like the bulk of the character designs coming out anyway, so it was quite easy to quit.

I did stick around the site for another couple of years after that off and on, and I would occasionally buy a figure here and there (but VERY rarely...think as in one or two a year), but for the most part my collection slowly got sold off, I became an increasingly infrequent poster, and the last Transformer I owned got sold off about a year or so ago.

So why am I here now? Well, Sideswipe and Soundwave were my two favorite toys as a kid. The fact that they are both getting amazing looking Masterpiece releases within a couple of months of each other has piqued my interest in the franchise and the site again. I have both preordered. However, I think it's too early to tell whether I'm full-on interested in collecting again. I think probably not. It took my two absolute favorite toys getting absolutely kick ass looking MP releases to pull me back in, which begs the question where do we go from here? This is the pinnacle for me personally, and literally anything else they release will be downhill from these two in terms of my own personal tastes and interests.

In summary, yes I've lost interest before. Yes, I quit collecting, and never regretted it one bit. And I have maybe gotten interested again, but I suspect only temporarily.

19. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS. I think we, (collectors) are drawn to gathering stuff by nature. If we lived 2000 years ago, we would be street vendors buying and selling stuff. Its just IN us.

TFs, for me have always been a love. Since TFTM I jumped back in BIG TIME, because of the realistic looking modes and such after looking at stupid (sorry guys..) beasts, wierd beast machines, Crazy alien alt modes and such for years. When the movie stuff hit, I jumped right back on. Thats the stuff I like. I was buying multiples of figures to cut up and paint and such. Now the movie stuff is gone, I LIKE the TFP stuff, but I just try and get one of each.

So, as it is now, the only thing I REALLY am into is cyberverse, and that mostly because my boy and me play with that stuff. I cant describe how amazing it is, to play again.

See...I have TRIED. Like when the wife would go on a trip, and I would have the house to myself, The kid in me would be like "SHEEEEIIIiit...Im gunna get everything, and scatter it all around the house and have a massive war like I was 7" and then I would get tons of stuff out..and even before I TRIED to play, I would just get boed and sit and just TF stuff. It just...never..worked again for me.

Until I had my boy (well..the wife helped with that too)

Now I lay on the floor, and lose all sense of Bills and real life matters while on belly down on the floor defeating waves of decepticons with my boy. We plan out huge scenarios and such...Its REALLY refreshing. I dont know how or why it changed..but I can play with toys again...with my boy at least.

As for the "getting out", That happened to me with GIJOE. GIJOE is really my 1st love. Always will be, But when the movie came out, and really killed the brand, I packed it up, and was done. Got back in the Joe game for POC (THANK ZEUS, best shit ever) and have completly blocked all the retaliation stuff save for one CC, one of the Paratroopers , and a Joe trooper. The Joe brand has died to me...So I KNOW what your saying.

But no matter what, Its IN us...its just who we are. If your not collecting TFs..your prolly gunna pick up some crazy ass habit of collecting old lisence plates, or Silver flatware....Or My little ponys...

Its IN us...

20. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    For the peeps who said that I'll just replace TFers with a new hobby, then you're spot on. I'm already focusing more on older video games and Video game memorobilia...

And yes, I'll probably be cursed my whole life long to occasionally pick up a toy or two... it's not something that will ever go away forever. I just can't do it large scale.