Minor/Repaint: My Classics Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Thundercracker, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Just finished this guy up. I'm gonna let the paint set for a few days before transformation pics...Pretty happy with how it came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to add the nose...
    [​IMG]

*Edit*
    Added Jet mode pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HAWT.

I hope the Botcon one looks like that!

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Nice!

I want to do the same thing.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    pretty damn good. I always did prefer "toy-accurate" TC to light blue toon-accurate

5. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Very nice work, and the stickers are a nice touch. My only suggestion would be to paint the nipplefans black, just a personal preference.

I'm considering making a Thundercracker just because I'll be too afraid of breaking my Botcon one!

6. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    Pretty damn good? Hugging beautiful!

7. Absurdicus

Absurdicus Ridiculous G2 Combiner

Typical response: Blah blah, tell us how you did it so I can too, yadda yadda.

Also, rockin' custom.

8. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

Well the first shot in the kitbash vs. botcon TC has been fired and I for one say...
    Hey man nice shot.

9. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Paint job looks great man, I think its better than the Botcon TC that we've seen. Though I think I like the classics wing style better rather than the sticker you have.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I don't know how it could look any better. That's just plain all kinds of awesome.

Which Botcon Thundercracker that we've seen?

11. Thundercracker

:D  Well, I had a few extra Starscreams because I thought at the time we may get left hanging without Skywarp and Thundercracker. So since I had the extra SS's I could try a few different methods, I deceided to go the paint route on this one. I used Tamiya TS50 BLUE Mica, TS30 Silver Leaf, and TS29 Semi Gloss black. The reason I went with this brand is I saw that the ingrediants included Acetone (softens the plastic so the paint can bond) and also a few others on here have raved about it..I must say Tamiya is without a doubt the best paint I've ever used. It sprays smooth and feels permanant. In fact it feels just like the paint that was used on Classic Starscreams accents.

First I took a new Classics Starscream and completely disassembled him. You'll need a small punch, and needlenose plyers to knock out all the pins (I used the plyers to whack the back of the punch ). The only pins I did not remove where the pins on the main body of SS (back pivot pin, wing mount pins). As you take your screws and pins out, lay them on a sheet of paper in order of which part they came out of and tape them to the piece of paper and lable them. No one's memory is good enough to remember where they all go!

Once disassembled, pour some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (found at Walmart for about $1.25)in a bowl deep enough to submerge your parts in order to remove the exsisting paint apps. DO NOT TRY TO STRIP THE CANOPY! Alcohol likes to eat clear plastic. Leave the parts in for 5 mins or so and get an old toothbrush to brush off the old paint out of the cracks and whatnot. The alcohol will not harm your solid plastics. This process will also clean your plastic very well for the paint process. Allow to dry thourghly.

The rest is painting. Pick a dry, warm day from 60 to 80 degrees. As always paint in a well vented area. I painted mine disassembled. I painted everything blue first including the chest area. When the paint has cured, I got some modelers tape and masked off the areas on the chest that were to remain blue and painted on the silver. Wether you're painting cars or toys, 90% of a paint job is prep work so make sure your hands are clean, the plastic is clean and that you take your time with masking off. Spray in several light coats about 12 inches away from the piece you are painting.
    *Edit* Note that I also masked off areas where I knew that there would be movement like at the elbows, foot hinge, and shoulder hinge. Not enough to see when assembled, but enough to allow fluid movement with no painted area on top of painted area situations...

Once dry, start to rebuild TC. The wing stickers were from an extra set of Reprolables I had lying around.

Good luck, and best wishes.

12. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    Tamiya paint huh? Gonna have to try that. This is the most beautiful TC I've seen.

Have you considered some panel lines?

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thats really nice and shiny.

also, excellent, concise instruction. kudos!

14. Thundercracker

I may, but for now I'm gonna leave it alone. I feel like I got damn lucky on this one because my painting skills are not up to par with some others in this forum. I'm pretty amazed at how the TS50 Blue Mica is almost a dead match for the G1 toy-it even has the tiny bit of metal flake in it. The TS30 Silver is an even match with Classic Skywarp's silver even down to the light gloss.

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Of all the ones we've seen, this is my favorite Thundercracker custom. I too MUCH prefer the toy-accurate dark blue to the cartoon-accurate light blue. And your paint job is really slick and professional-looking! I hope the Botcon version ends up looking as good.

16. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Wasn't there that one from the Chinese site? I thought that was the TC for Thundercracker, maybe not...

17. helix

helix Well-Known Member

excellent work - you just made the people who cant get a botcon one and aint got the skills (me) much more angry lol

looks great though

18. Thundercracker

That one turned out to be a fan made one...

Thanks everyone for the responses/ideas. I wish I could get the Botcon set but I know my wife would set my Transformers collection on fire if she found out I spent that much! :D 

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'll join the chorus... I've seen some nice Thundercracker repaints, but this one is my favourite so far... not least of all because it's got that toy-accurate colour scheme, which to me is what says "Thundercracker".

TC was the only G1 seeker I ever had, and still have, so it's all about toy-accurate for me baby! :) 

But besides that... nice painting. I was planning on dyeing mine, but it's hard to argue with these results!

zmog

20. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

O ok my bad then :p  Yours looks better than that custom then :)